Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 61713 times)

farrow

Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:47 pm »

Hi Gregg.
In Pic 578, the first 4 levers and buttons are for the two anchors and two working main wire winch controls, although there was only two actual winches fitted, they had a drum fitted each side with a simple dog clutch operated by hand. The top left hand button panel was for water pumps, fire pump etc. The far right was the azimouth control for the ships propulsion system, which was never used and was filled with dust. As the photos showed all paint work was white which was inside of doors, door frames and window frames. The rest was that light coloured formica with white formica deck head.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:28 pm »

Been doing some more cabinet making in the wheelhouse, revised the length of the bench seat and made it much smaller, its now only a 2 seater. Ive added the convector heater to the stairwell wall. The only thing i have got in the wrong place is the wooden cupboard. the filing cabinet should of sat next to the stairwell wall ,but I glued the other one in first and im going to damage the floor trying to remove one to fit the other, so Ive had to swap places with them. Ah well, A minor discrepancy, but at least Im being honest here !

I have also started work now on the wheelhouse roof. I added the base at the forward end of the roof, ready to accept the units to sit on top of. the 2 radar scanner mount tubes are in place, complete with support braces. I will add the motor boxes once dry, and use these hollow tubes to bring the motor drive shafts up and through to enable the radars to rotate. the electric geared motors sitting under the wheelhouse floor, out of sight and well out of everyones way.

I have now recieved supply of the swivel kort nozzles, so I can now start some progress with the hull too, as ive been filling time working on the wheelhouse, rather than do nothing, but think the extra time has been well spent and there is sufficient details to now ben seen through all the windows of the wheelhouse once fully assembled.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

farrow

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:08 am »

I see the last of the class the Cameron berthed inside, she was given to Briggs for nought to use as they wish.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:57 pm »

PROBLEM !

Ive just hit one problem, The Propellers I was supplied with are for "fixed kort" design, as they have very "square tipped" blades, Ive tried to align them inside my "swivelling korts" and found that they fould the inside of the korts if you enter more than a 10 degree steering angle.
Ive now spoken to Marks model boat bits and he has confirmed the error of my supplier, so after speaking to my supplier of the korts and propellers, he has accepted to supply the correct style of propeller blade to allow for the swivel angle of the kort nozzles.

Well  it was either this or having to attack the square tips of the blades with a grinder and shave the tips off, so rather than risk upsetting the balance of the blades, its easier to replace them with the right ones.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
Main mast
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

Following my earlier disaster with the drive train, I am delayed yet again in sorting out the hull interior, so have to do things elswhere "untill such time".

So For the mainmast on the wheelhouse roof. I decided early on that i want to be able to include lights and being as this vessel has a multitude of them. I have to really plan ahead to ensure i can pass cables through places you would not normally run cables.
I used some 6mm square section brass tube, slightly larger than it should be for accurate scale, but need the additional internal space for wiring!
the cross bars are 4mm brass tubing, which I intentionall drilled 2 3mm holes in, close to its centre line, to allow the outer mast light wires to run through and "down" the mainmast. I will be using "led's" so using  brass as the main body of the build, I simply solder one leg of the bulb to the mast and reduce al the wiring by half in one easy swoop! [forward planning see]. I added the cross bar support angle pieces in a "one job" item, as after trying petiently to add a small triangle of brass to the underside and not having enough hands to hold solder, brass tag and hot iron, i found it easier to make a complete item, clamp in the middle with some small mole grips and solder to my hearts content.

Yes, i did remember to use 2 different heat ranges of solder, using the hottest first for the main work, then using a lower melting point solder to add the ladder rungs and hoops, so at not stage do i melt one thing off whilst adding another.

The mast access steps/rungs were bent out of 0.8m brass rod and the mast drilled to accept the legs for soldering. the same applies to the safety hops for the ladder, these were pre wound round a suitable mandrel, in my case a small mfa motor casing which happened to be exact diameter of the hoops needed. I then just had to add the vertical link rails and the small aerial array to the top of the mast.

I do now admit to this being my first major work in brass construction. It may not be the neatest or tidyiest you will of seen, but im pleased with the result, as I can only get better with more experience  and we all have to start somewhere!

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:41 pm »

It looks good to me.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

farrow

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 10:15:55 pm »

Like shipmate60 says it looks good and it looks like the old girl to me, all it needs now is a harris tweed flower pot hat and a pusser raincoat on a miserable old git of a figure, on the the aft  outboard steps to the bridge and I will think I am back at work.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2011, 04:31:22 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope you like her "new hat2 then.

Ive finally managed to rig the lights on the mainmast.

i cant wait now to build the other 2 light masts and install.  it might be a bit of a drain on the batteries, but I'll fit a 3rd battery if necessary, just for the pose.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 02:46:15 pm »

Carrying on with the wheelhouse roof lighting, Ive now built up the 2  warning/safe passage marker posts.  To save a little on wiring and bulbs, Ive only fitted a pair of operating lamps to each side, as my build will only have a "clear danger" to the one side. As this will be the side the crane will operate on and lift/swing "something" across the deck and over the water.

The "something" is yet to be decided upon. I don't know if to swing a buoy over or the zodiac inflatable boat, as I think eiher would look interesting enough.

Anyway. I started off with the marker posts by making a pattern out of plastic rod, just to get an idea of size and shape, then decided to make from brass tubes, so I can run the cables through, plus be a bit more sturdier once built and resist the odd clout from an accidental hand.

I cross drilled the main upright to inset the side tubes and then, once the solder had chilled sufficiently, I then drilled through the main tube to remove the excess brass & solder  internally again to give free running to the cabling. I have again used ordinary "filament" bulbs on these lights, as they give a better widespread angle of illumination, that these lights would need on the full size vessel.

As many readers of my other builds, I do tend to prefer to use "led's" now, but these have limited angle of view, so they will be used for the standard navigation lights, lower down the wheelhouse and maybe for the bulkhead lamps too.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 11:02:08 pm »

If it is any help, the most lifted item by the crane was the gemini, to start or finish any job you needed the gemini for virtualy 98% of the jobs she did.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2011, 12:53:45 pm »

Well, no one noticed my slight mistake then?  i didn't realise untill i went to fold my plans and put them away. id got the red/green hazard lights in the wrong positions !  the green lights supposed to be higher than the reds. needless to say ive now resolved the situation and swapped them round.
"Silly me!"
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2011, 11:04:59 pm »

Finally managed to dig out the 2 geared motors i had on one side for a twin radar setup. So Ive now fitted these to the bottom of the wheelhouse floor, so just the drive shafts are visible through the windows. then a simple extension shaft takes the drive right up through the roof to the radar head mounts.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:11 pm »

Appologies for delay in update, but ive had some delaying problems with the supplier of the brass propellers. the original ones supplied were for "fixed kort" and not swivel korts, so the square tipped corners of the props were catching the insides of the kort nozzles on turning, so they had to come out, which means my ambition to complete the drivetrain has had to be abandoned untill the new props arrive. the original supplier then promised faithfully to replace the wrong props, but after 3 weeks of waiting I had cancelled my order and wont be dealing with this store again >>:-( <*<, ive changed back to SHG ! O0

Right. Wheelhouse, I have now installed the driveshafts for ther twin radar heads, which now means I can close up the wheelhouse roof and attach to the wheelhouse. I added a piece of plastic tubing in one corner of the wheelhouse in which to run the electrical cables for the mast lights, so to keep them from view as much as possible. O0

I still have the main/standard navigation lights to install, but they wont be sited untill i fit the railings as they seem to be affixed to them, rather than standalone items.

I have also found a most suitable tubular base for the crane.  its a piece of plastic tubing, with a threaded nut on the end. So The crane can bond to the head of the nut, the thread allows the crane to swivel freely without being pushed off its mount by the servo's underneath and is adequate in strength and doameter to allow me to run the inner workings up, to operate the crane easily. :-))

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »

ive now started on the 2 rear winches. especially as these are almost the very heart of thuis vessel, serving 2 purposes from their location at the stern. they operate the 2 rear anchors to help steady the vessel when the other 2 winch drums have their cables fed forward, across the deck, to the 2 big lifting horns on the bows. usually used for lifting sunken marker buoys out of the water for retreival by the hydraulic crane, once at the surface.
I am constructing out of styrene sheet for the majority of their build, the circular drum ends and motor gear casings are shaped and easily cut using a compass cutter, but make sure you use a new blade and change frequently, once you notice the cutting edge dulling off.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2011, 05:49:57 pm »

She is coming along well Greg.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

pugwash

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »

Its going well Greg. looks good

Geoff

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2011, 12:30:55 am »

Thanks for comments guys. :-))
Well heres an update on the winches. Ive almost finished the one, so continued with the second "mirror image" unit, as looking at the plans, the electric drive motors face each other, towards the centre line of the deck.
I have purchased some brass warping drums from "modeldockyard" as they seemed the most suitable items, sizewise for the ends of the winch brakes.
I have left the centre "throughrod" loose for now, untill I have completed painting the winch asemblies, so i can still remove the winch drums to paint all those nasty to get at areas.  O0
i have added the brake band rodss and attachments to the brake bands. I am purposely leaving the handwheels off for now, not untill I have fabricated the removeable deck plats where the winches sit, so i have access to the rudder gear below, without having to stretch at finger tip to reach from the  main access hole where the batteries will be sited.

Its amazing on home much forward planning has to be done, in order to maintain free access to certain "wear items" later on. id sooner make removeable panels now, then end up breaking the models back in the future, just to replace a rudder arm or replace a kort nozzle. >>:-(

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2011, 11:37:15 am »

And Finally !

Now recieved the proper kort propellers! these have rounded tips and are better suited to swivel kort nozzles than the square tipped blades variety as you get more clearance when you apply a larger steering angle to the rudder control.

So, at last I can now install the 2 propshafts, korts and motors.
There will be a slight change in the build log now as I can proceed with the hull again, but untill the motors and shafts are in, I cant finish off installing the hull inner structure to add strength and support to the styrene hul sides, nor put in the deck support beams, which will give the deck its required radius...................... And then, i can add the lower cabin assemblies to the upper works, which i cant build untill I have the correct "deck radius", so the bases sit without silly gaps under them against this curved deck floor.

it sometimes amazes me on how much one silly little item can hold up a load of tasks, then all of a sudden, its like a flood gate opening !

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2011, 02:26:39 pm »

I believe the originals had rounded tips. I know once we had a unit stop. We could not find any visual reason and thoughts went to a seized or damaged kort unit, divers could not find a reason, eventually we lifted the whole unit up through the deck and guess what, it was a bit of a pusser issued plastic grey wash bucket jammed between the blade tip and the Kort nozzle. One of the major pluses of these type of drive units, you take the inspection plate of the deck hook a crane into the drive unit and lift it straight out with prop and kort unit, without having to dock the vessel, with other types of drive units it would have been an expensive dry docking.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55:37 pm »

I have now installed the drive system and also linked up the kort rudder arms.  this has now also allowed me to start on the deck too, so I have made the cuts to the deck below the rear winches, as these give access to the rudder linkages. I have alsp cut out the 2 circular hatch access panels above each rudder post, again giving "service access" to the grub screws, "in the unlikely event of......." so to speak.

the winch apertures had have their raised coaming bonded on, as well as a flat strip on the underside of the deck, just to prevent the winches from being pushed right the way through!  the coaming also now adds a better deck support fram to the winches and is a fair secure fit, so the winches wont go flying off across the deck, especially as they are not bonded down, merely held in place by the coaming trim.

For my next trick !
I will be making up the cross deck beams, which will give the deck panel its correct arched radius across the deck , so once I can achieve this, I can then measure up to make the big cutout for the battery access ANd then go for finishing off the lower superstructure cabins, but untill deck radius is complete, this are in line for completion.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:12 pm »

Now that the motors are installed I have now managed to install the stern most deck cross supports, which include their 2radiussed2 tops, giving the rounded appearance to the deck.  I have decided to cut the deck in half, placing the join line under the removeable superstructure. ive done this for simplicity, so i can finish off the stern, before moving on the the forward end, where I have yet to complete the workings for the crane gear. The coving around the rear winches is fitted and holds the winches tightly, so they wont fall out in transit. i haver also made a cutout above the motors and universal joints, for routine maintenence purposes, this will be held closed with the use of "inset magnets", so no screws or bolt heads will be visible at all., plus the weight of the superstructure above will help to hold it down.
I will of course be adding some underside bracing beams, to help keep its correct  curved shape.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:03 am »

I have given the boat its very first "water tank test", just to see how it looks, plus to check on the scale of ballasting it might need later.

I have a 12v 7amp/hr batter which i am deciding to use and fit centrally in the forward hull, just forward of the superstructure. So with this in the hull, motors and shafts fitted, superstructure on. I only needed to add  3 x sticks of tyre weights  [195grammes] on the stern just to level her up slightly, to just keep a slightly bows up stance.
hardly any weight at all.
I did then do a weight test too, setting it carefully on the bathroom scales.  At present  time of construction, its weighing in at 6lbs  and thats with the battery and weights in!

Admittidly it is not fully at its correct waterline depth, but I do prefer to run slightly higher than correct depth, simply due to the possibility of running in rougher/choppy water, id sooner have the deck height a bit further off the surface of the water than the real one, as I have no bilge pump fitted [ha ha].

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2011, 12:12:19 am »

I have now managed to put a coat of paint on the stern winch assemblies, so have also added soem cable to the drums. the next job was to construct one of the rear anchor cradles over the stern rail.
the basic frame ive made from 1.5mm brass rod, purely for added strength, so any other boat "accidentally ramming" the stern, wont cause damage to mine!. I also soldered on some small brass nuts to the rods, to act as a "stop" as the rods pass through the hull stern, so they wont get pushed all the way through and also have a better surface area now for the epoxy to bond to.

Ive made the anchors up out of styrene strip and glued together. i was going to construct out of brass sheet, but plastic is cheaper and easier to join AND replace if lost !

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:03 pm »

Just to let you know, apart from rare special occaisions, the only anchor rigged was the port one, a three ton pancake clump was rigged all the time on the starboard side. This was to allow the moorhen to anchor within mooring complexs without the danger of fouling a bottom mooring system.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 03:43:38 pm »

Thanks for that, I'll try to remember it. Did they retain/stow the other "proper anchor" on board whilst the concrete lump was being used, or was it left ashore?

Ive just recieved delivery of some plastruct "I" beam, so can start forming the girderwork for the stern lifeboat mounting. I have some alloy mesh which should do for the actual flooring, then need to make the crane and railings to go around. I will also make this assembly removeable, so not to loose access to the rudder post below main deck, below the winch assembly, which ive made to lift out of its floor cradle lip.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.