Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 61686 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:53 pm »

I have finally managed to aquire some 1/48th scale figures, which arrived today and to be honest, are helping tremendously with getting some of the items I am having to scratchbuild a bit more closer to scale size/dimensions.
hence, my decision to remove the grey cabinet and replace with smaller item, as can be seen in comparison with an original picture.
detail also added today is the vice, mounted on the centre stern roller fairlead by the main winches.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »

Ok, time to order some major parts.
Ive delayed this as long as possible, mainly due to lack of funds, but fund have now at a level, we can purchase a few bits, but to make the most of my money, Ive decided to follow a link placed on another thread and am buying 3 "ex demo" esc's from mtroniks.

http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/706/sid/52/VIPMAR15EXDEMO.htm

But the final bit for ordering is a new jobbis, a bow thruster .

So there will be 2 x esc to control the drive motors and the thrird will control the bow thruster.

This will then mean i can virtually complete the hull running gear off, now I have all the control gear in situ for the crane operation, so know what space is left in the bows to slot in the bow thruster. Ive been toying with the idea for many months, shall i, shan't i  do i really need one, will it steer ok without one.  Then thinking, "what the heck", "go for it" and  power it like an original. yes, pity I know I cant afford the correct "schottle" drives, but I have to live within means and really fed up with living on bread and water at the moment [ha ha].
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:27 pm »

She had 360 degree azimouth drives, if you can replicate them you could make some money in selling them. Any way when she is in the water who will see and I think you have so far made a superb model and I drove her for a while, a small but under-rated vessel.

farrow

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2011, 10:32:35 pm »

Shame about the grey cabinet on deck, it look right to me, thats where we kept all out punches, spare burning nozzles, taper pins  and various other stores too numours to mention.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »

The revised version is pictured in the phot in previous post, before it just looked "to tall" as you would of had to reach over head height to get it to top locker, whereas now, its "head high", so lower in height.
I rekon the "kondor" motors ive already installed in the hull will provide more than enough power for the  50mm korts and i very much doubt if it will ever need to go over the "trim adjust setting" on the joystick - set trim at max f/ward.

I find I can do that with both my Sun tug and my egrete pusher tug and sail around merrily all afternoon and not get "finger strain", simply by using the trim adjust to operate throttle speed for me, bit like "auto pilot", so all i have to do is input rudder "as and when" !

think this cabinets more to scale height!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2011, 05:11:32 pm »

I have started the process of making the liferaft cannisters. Following on from the lack of response on another thread on this forum, requesting advise on the best casting resin and mould material to use and getting NO response, apart from a shop trying to seel me ready made versions, which were the wrong size anyway!
So Found some suitable diameter wooden dowel rod, cut to length to suit. I have made the ribs out of plastic micro rod strips, using a thin strip, but wound round the dowel twice to add strength, plus disguise the join.
the horizontal flange strip is being added once the circular ribs had fully dried in position.
The corner cutouts in the liferaft cannisters I found the easiest way to replicate was by using a small round "drum sanding tube" in a dremmel and gently holding the wooden dowel against it, thus "knocking the corner off" the wood. take it bit at a time, you dont want to dig in too deep, otherwise it ruins a cannister and you will have to make another one.

I have now also made up one of the raft cannister holders, again out of micro strip to replicate the small size angle iron it is built from. I have added some cross rails to accept the hold down ties once all is finally assembled.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2011, 08:59:39 pm »

The bow thruster I ordered arrived today, so decided to fit straight away. After reading the instructions for the graupner version I had bought, the details only seemed to recommend a vertical motor installation, to do this inside the moorhen is virtually impossible due to height limits, so after asking the question on another thread on this site, I was reassured to find out its possible to even mount the motor horizontally. So this is how I decided to mount this one.

Now, bit of artistic license needed here, as due to my own decision to power the crane, i did not have sufficient room in the bows to fit the bow thruster exactly where it should be or the actual outlets. So I have had to mount slightly rearwards of original position, but should still give the moving thrust required at the front end.

The bow thruster kit I ordered was the 14mm version, simply as I only needed a small unit, to work this vessel. the thruster comes with 2 small lengths of plastic pipe, to fit to the sides of the thruster unit and pass through the hull sides, "in any ordinary installation" in of course a boat with "pointy" bows! Moorhen is square fronted !

So what do you do? Extend the tubes yes, but with what? Well, in my shed I had some 15mm white plastic pipe used as overflow pipe for cisterns etc, and you know what, its exactly the same diameter as the stepped outlet hole of the bow thruster! So  after a mild bit of heating to add a bend to point down through the corner side raduis of the hull, 2 suitable lengths were then cut "oversize" and installed with the motor assembly inside the hull, not forgetting to solder a couple of lenghts of cable to the motor connectiosn of course !

I then laid the motor centrally on the wooden keel spine I had originally fitted, as I will add an "L" shaped bracket to support the motor assembly, using the top centre screw on the impeller section to attach it to the angle bracket, this then being screwed down to the centre keel spine.  I used some epoxy resin to bond the outlet pipes to the hull and once dry, cut the external excess off, then topped off the epoxy resin on the outside to fully seal them to the hull.

these outlets should work ok, especially as slightly angled downwards too,by about 30 degrees id say, I did not want to simply point them out horizontally, due to the shallow running of the hull, it would probably cause more surface disturbance than enough, so bear that in mind if you go same route, but fit in correct piosition, remember to angle out and down.
The last pic in this update shows the bow thruster in position, along with the underside of the crane gearing, now you can see why i had to fit the thruster where i did !! [ha ha].

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2011, 11:30:23 pm »

I have mentioned about my ideas and thoughts about motorising the Moorhen's crane mechanism several times, but up till now, have kept most of the details quiet. Please appreciate tis was purely as it was still " under construction AND devopment". I have had  at least 3 attempts to get the system to do all that I want and at minimal costs too.
YES I know you can buy proper r/c kits for cranes, but at a price!
This system I have now tested out works fine and only uses 1 x motor and 1 x servo to operate.
yes this only gives 2 functions, but thats sufficient to get some movement and action on/off deck so to speak.

Firstly, to "rotate" the crane I am using an MFA geared motor [500:1] with a chain drive from motor to central swivel shaft [which is hollow brass tube]. the gear wheels used also double drop the gearing down again, to lower rotation speed as much as possible. This motor is then controlled via an ordinary esc to a joystick control on the transmitter, so you get "left rotate/right rotate on the crane.

Secondly, I decided to simply "elevate" the crane boom, with a fixed length of winch cable  attached to the gemini craft. this being the first item to put out in to the water when on duty, so rather than fix the boom in a set position and motorise the winch drum, I fix the drum and lift/lower the boom, it gives similar effect anyway.

The boom lift is controlled via a servo mounted underfloor, close to the central hollow drive shaft, as the servo operates a solid push rod through the centre of the swivel shaft, this then pushes up against the underside [inside] of the lifting boom, so as the servo is switched [via  the landing gear switch on your  transmitter], plus via a "servo morph" to slow things down, you get a nice gentle "raise/lower" of the crane boom.

It takes longer to explain in words than it does to actually get to work. you will have to take some time to get things correctly aligned fully, to ensure nothing is off centre or misaligned otherwise things get crossed up when the crane is rotated.

One thing I did learn, was that when you attach the upper hydraulic cylinders to the boom, DONT use a piece of rod which passes right through from one cylinder, to the other, as this "traps" against the lifting rod and siezes the drive up. use seperate pieces of rod, so the inside of the boom area where the lifting pushrod goes through is clear of obstruction.

now for the pictures:

These show the geared motor position, chain drive and central swivel shaft in place.

the latter 2 pics show the servo in "lift/ lower mode for the crane boom.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »

Now that I have the crane secured to the deck area, albeit on its own section of deck, so removeable for servicing or repair so to speak, I have now fitted the small section of safety walling rearward of the crane mount, which I presume is to prevent any items blocking the space needed for crane rotation.
The final remaining deck capstan has also gone in, just forward of the wall section too.

Oh and i have taken delivery of a set of vac moulded buoys from Model Slipway. Looking at the designs, they are a little out of date, so have been again using the photographs i have to modify one of the buoys to be a bit more realistic.  I have placed one of them on the deck, er in "as new" condition, so will need some weathering yet to make it look likes its just been hauled in so to speak.

Now, small question here, In some of the photos i have it shows a deckhand using a "jet wash" to clean the buoys off, was thuis a portable jet wash or something that was "plumbed in" to the ships systems, if yes, where did the hose run to/from?

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:03 am »

It was a portable jet wash.
It was fed from a deck hose in stbd inner mid superstructure.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:03 pm »

I have been doing a few jobs on teh boat over the past few days, but not able to post updates, untill something is virtually complete. I have now installed 3 power controllers.
1 x drive motors/props
1x bow thruster
1x crane rotate motor

The main proulsion motors are never going to get the command of "full power", so have linked them together and powered through a single esc. Driving them independently is an extravagance and with the use of Korts, negates that advantage on turns as the korts give more than enough turning force.

The Bow thruster powers nicely via the esc, giving more than enough steerage control of the bows and even turns the vessel with ease too.

the crane swivel motor has better control than simply powering via a couple of polarity swapping micro switches, I can control rotate speed easily and with control, so wont spill the contents of the gemini everywhere!

the video clip shows the crane operation, but still minus the servo morph to "slow" down the lift operation, thats still on the books, but once saved up enough to go buy one!

I have also decided on position of the reciever unit, this is now "above deck level", under the main superstructure, so will give plenty of radio range, plus away from most interference sources.

The esc switches and light switches will be mounted under the superstructure on the other side to the reciever, again, to seperate any source of interference away from the reciever.

the battery pack is a 12v 7amp unit and fits easily under the deck, laying on its side, so lowering its centre of gravity too. The battery provides quite adequate ballast for the craft, but will fully recheck the waterline once it is finally complete to see if a little additional ballast is required, but that will be done with small car tyre stick on weights, placed exactly where it is needed [if at all].

Next job is to construct the switchgear housing, more to follow in due course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPY5-EVvkE

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2011, 09:17:02 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8by_5Jpws

Sorry folks, please use this link for the video clip, I forgot to "save" the clip on you tube first!

heres another one of the mast lights and radars, now operating via the new switch panel.

http://youtu.be/CPPY5-EVvkE
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2011, 09:33:13 pm »

And now for the switch panel.
I first cut 2 cable access holes in the deck, the forward hole allows the cables from the esc switches to be routed in, after first extending the cables and wrapping in "spiral wrap" for protection and also to keep the cables tidy.
the second hole is for the supplycables for the light switches.
1 x battery volts power for all the main lights, nav lights, etc,
1 x 3v battery supply, for the radar scanners. This power supply is 2 x 2AA" batteries [rechargeable] in a seperate battery holder.

Once the switch base was in place and the glu dry, i added a piece of wooden square dowel at eaither end, to enable a screw to be driven in to hold the upper switch panel in place.

I also drilled a further hole at the rear of the switch panel, this is to route the power cable supply, via a 6 pin multi plug to the removeable upper superstructure. again the cables wrapped in "spiral wrap" for protection and tidyness.

I still have the main navigation lights to install, but these are attached to the wheelhouse railing, so will have to wait untill the railing is installed.  But nothing stops me fitting the stern light, to the rear face of the funnel. Its then just a case of linking in the power supply internally.

As you can see from the size of the switchpanel, I have plenty of capacity for further switches if i so require.
I may alos fit some deck lights, but will have to check with the photo's to see where [if any[ were fitted, but would not presume this vessel worked after dark, not doing its main job anyway, me thinks far too risky!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »

Ive been trying to decide on what to use for the hydraulic hoses on the deck crane. i was going to source some thin hollow tubing, similar to the stuff used by "O" gauge railway modellers, on their rolling stock, but after drawing a few blanks about supply, I have used some thin copper cored cable instead.
I have made up a valve block to attach under the operators platform, to where all the hoses will run to, predrilled to allow the cables to enter for better security with superglue.
I did try to attach the cables to the brass hydraulic cylinders in the same  manner, but they kept falling off, so after "tinning" the very tip of the cables, I have spot soldered them to the brass cylinders, a much better strength bond, especially as  the crane will do a fair bit of moving around.

The crane boom pipe holders are some small brass handrail holders for the main part, with a few small discs cut from some hollow plastic tube for the lower ones.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »

My Sincere appologies for the lack of updates, but  due to finally being able to secure another job, after 16 months of unemployment, I have had to put the Moorhen to one side to get some hours in at work, but once my shift pattern settles, i will be able to do a few more jobs on Her.  its sitting on the table looking at me now as I type, but not enough hours in the day as yet to do it justice. Hopefully just a metter of days not weeks for a proper update!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

mikearace

« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:25 am »

In this day and age getting another job is not a reason to apologize for a lack of progress on a model!!  Good luck with the new employment.

farrow

« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »

T add to Bobs reply on the the jet wash, it was a petrol driven one with two wheels on it's carrying trolley.

Dave13

« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »

Hi Gregg
She looks very nice I like the Radars and lights :-)
Dave:)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »

Thanks for the update on the jet wash, I'll try to remember it when I get to run the hose in.

The radars do work, they are independently powered by a couple of geared motors, mounted underneath the wheelhouse floor to keep them hidden from view, so only their drive shafts run up through the wheelhouse, so the thin tubes not that noticeable inside through the windows.

the lights took some working out, but by using brass tube, I was able to solder the negative ends of the lights to the brass tubes and only then needed to run the power cables down through the insides.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2011, 11:00:03 pm »

Its looking a very nice model, I can see at a glance and see who she is, the standard of modeling is excellent, can not wait to see it in the flesh.
David

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2011, 07:22:12 pm »

IT FLOATS !

Ok, so she may not be complete yet, but I took the oppertunity today to take the Moorhen to my club pool and give the motors and bow thruster a testing to check performance and also ballasting.  especially as I tend to prefer to use  ballast that "works" on a model ship. in other words, i tend to use the battery for ballast, so try my best to get the battery weight just right to give a decent waterline level, but also have sufficient capacity to enable plenty of "operating time" out on the water.

She sailed perfectly !
A little trim adjustment to the rudder to get a straight line steerage, but nothing else.
The crane works fine and is able to raise and rotate a buoy off the deck and in to the water without problem.
The main drive motors  [Deans Marine  Kondor's - ] are fine, they turn the 40mm kort props easily and have plenty of spare capacity to give excellent "escape speed" if need be, but have to be very aware of the flat bows, as she can certanly put up a decent bow wave and wash over the bow deck!

YES, Ok I need seriously to get back on track and do some more work on her now, A few pieces to order in the way of stern life boat, the boat cover I can make myself. I do have all the brass rod to make up the railings, so I have no excuse now..

We'll see [ha ha].
I will try and get some more video done of her on the water, the crane certanly pulled a crowd this afternoon and fascinated everyone.
Sorry guys but its pictures only for now.....

ERROR !!!!

Somethings wrong with the site server and I am unable to upload the pictures for now, will try again when i can !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »

Seems like server has fixed itself, so heres pictures of the vessels first actual water test 9/6/11.  All the details are written in the earlier posting.

Let me know what you all think of her now!

If i can wait for the water level to rise in the pool we use, i should be able to get a better low level picture, rather than a "pointing down" type angle shot.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2011, 10:20:51 am »

Gregg,
She looks quite simply superb!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your comment, it is appreciated.

the vessel was at a stage where it needed to be tested on water, to make sure the powertrain was sufficient, not having used deans marine motors before, so did not know if they would be powerful enough or not, so rather than take it too far in to the build and then have to start ripping things out, it was easier to test it now.

I am yet to complete the crane fittings, then i can fully paint the base in Black [as per original] then start on all the railings, then once the railing sare in place I can then make up the upper "baskets" and cannisters, the navigation "light boards" that seem to be attached to the railings, rather than the deck sides so to speak, then finish off the wheelhouse roof with all the remaining aerials and flood lamps and cameras, all fittings that would get damaged if fitted earlier in the build.

So plenty to do yet.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2011, 09:25:16 am »

Hi Gregg,
It certainly is the Moorhen sitting there, Bob says it all, can not wait to see it in the flesh. Nice touch the working crane.
David
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.