Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 61684 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Update [at last] !
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2011, 06:02:52 pm »

Sincere appologies for such a delay in an update, but personal "life" had to come first. Firstly I have finally managed to secure another job, so now I can afford to continue with the build, now financiaonstraints are, er "easier" shall i say, but more importantly, i am recovering still following surgery to repair a damaged nerve in my left arm, so have been unable to do any work on my boats, or even feed mayself properly for a few weeks.

Right !
Enough of the boring stuff, but I appreciate that you no doubts wonder why some of these boat builds kick off , then suddenly come to an abrupt halt and no explanation, well, this one was genuine

So My physiotherapy session for today has been to start the task of adding all the railings. I have decided to begin with the upper bridge deck are and then work my way down to main deck.
I decided to purchase some robbe rail stanchions as simply using some brass rod and soldering the sross rails to them was going to look a little too "crude" for the build, so expense aside, I opted for these, but having to buy 7 packets [70] is no cheap item.
I am using some 0.8mm copper wire for the cross rails, so appologies if the "critics"  amongst you can see all the bends and kinks in the rails, but hey, I've only just soldered them in  so have to wait till all gone cold before straightening them with some long nose pliers or a couple of pieces of wooden battern.
Following on from the initial "sea trials" I have also decided to install an automatic bilge pump system, which should hopefully keep her "hold" clear of excess water which sweeps over the flat bows. It does happen, even with the best intentions of keeping her speed down to limit the bow wave, plus due to the design of the deck access panels, i have no choice but to install a pump system, as a "just in case". Well its better than  watching her sink from  afar and not being able to do anything about it.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:48 pm »

I have continued today, making up the railing sections, firstly completing the wheelhouse level section, then making up the railing around the stern lifeboat platform, finally by making up the lower ladder section, leading up to the lifeboat platform/wheelhouse.

I found using 0.8mm copper solid wire much easier to shape/form than brass rod of same diameter, plus once all is set in place it is also softer to rehape and straighten later too.

Last picture today shows the water level sensor, mounted in the hull, it detects and "switches" when level reaches 2-3mm, so once the water level drops, the pump switches off automatically too, thus saving on pump vanes from constant running varieties.

The sound module has also arrived, c/o of  "Valley Electronics". I will try mounting the speaker so it points "downwards" on the underside of the wheelhouse "bridge section", so not placed in the hull and potential for getting speaker wet and also by mounting here,it saves having to make an open grille space area to let the sound out.
Thats the "theory" of it for now, more once fitted and working of course.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2011, 06:07:13 pm »

Have managed to do a bit more on the railings, this time on the main working deck. I have started on the "non working" side of the main deck, as some of the stanchion rails will be omitted on the other side to permit free traverse of the crane when in operation. nevertheless, I had had to revise my original "count" of the brass stanchions needed for all the rails. I have used 7 packets of 10 already and have run out !
I have ordered another 2 packets to ensure I have sufficient for the other side of the deck, plus a couple of spares "just in case" of needing to replace any due to collision/accidental damage.

I'll certanly have to make sure this one is not left unattended anywhere, or someone will be "weighing" it in for brass scrap! ! [ha ha].

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »

With your mention of how wet she is over the front end, it reminded me that the original was very wet forward, even in a following wind you still got spray sucked up onto the fore deck. Probaly while she was so rusty forward, though constant washing down with saltwater did not help matters much. I must say the detail of the build is superb.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:02 pm »

Thanks for your comments, but it is surprising how the model does actually reflect the full size version when being sailed. It does have a lot to do with the flat shape to the bows i admit, but the angles bow rake underneath does little to help, it seems to "pool" the water, rather than push it to either side of the hull.
never mind, its still a great vessel to sail.
I just hope the "auto bilge" system will work, but saying that, it only takes a glance at her side profile and check the waterline mark to see if she has taken water on board or not anyway, its not rocket science and i dont like sailing my boats too far away, i like to keep them in "focus" and enjoy watching them sail.

The second  supply of stanchions has arrived, so ive no excuse now to continue with the railings on the final section.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:18 pm »

Have been able to get a bit more of the railing added today.  Its amazing how long it does actually take to construct these small sections. each rail stanchion has to have the holes redrilled to accept a slightly larger diameter rail, the plans double checked or the stanchion positions before drilling the deck. the stanchions are then glued in place, then once glue dry, the cross rails added and threaded through. er, the "lifting horn rails took 3 hours alone and that was just to do the one side on one horn!

I have purposely left a section of railing "off/out" so the crane can still swing over the deck and lower its cargo to the waterline "off boat". For better "visual effect" I may well leave the bright yellow buoy attached, as the dark grey inflatable is difficult to see when out on the water, whereas everyone notices the " yellow thing going in to the water"!

I have also now soldered on the flat brass plates for the side navigation lights, on either side of the wheelhouse.  I just need to now make up some lamp fittings, capable of taking a small 3mm dia led, so i can illuminate them too.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »

Greg,
The detail is "bringing her to life".
Superb job, hope I get to see her sometime.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

farrow

« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2011, 11:23:33 am »

Hi Gregg, the starboard wire railing was only put up for a coastal voyage to comply with regs, but half the stanchions did not work as they fitted into holes in the deck which usually where jammed full with crap and rust. So it looks fine to me with out them fitted. She is certainly looking great.

BrianCartwright

« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2011, 12:00:10 pm »

Hi Gregg
I'm starting to build a Moorhen as a winter project and have followed your build with great interest.
From the pictures I have seen I cannot work out the ladder steps up the rear of the mast.I wonder if you have a photo of same you could post  on here.

Regards Brian :-))

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »

I will upload soem more detailled pics for you shortly, but in the meantime, the "steps", in the rear of the mast i've done as "U" shaped rungs, so each rung has 2 small drill holes in the mast to accept the brass wire in to the mast body, thus its easier to then dab a little bit of solder on to bond the rung to the mast. Thats why I used square section brass tube for the main mast section, this also then aids support for all the light rigs and the outer safety cage for the ladder too. it all solders together, but be careful you dont get things too hot. use a high temprtature solder for the rungs first, then use a "cooler melt" solder for other items, so it helps to keep everything attached.

These are a few of the mast build pics from earlier posts.
I will take some more, "as it is now" for you, no problem, anything to help you out.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2011, 12:12:27 am »

hers another 3 of the now built main mast. the light fittings are not fully complete, still need some tidying up.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:01 pm »

Hi Greg have uploaded a pic I found of her at about 3/4 throttle, which shows quite well her bow wave. The photo was taken some time after I retired as she is seen in SD colours here.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2011, 06:04:25 pm »

thanks for the picture, it does help a great deal, especially as I now notice the radar masts are different heights ! my plans from good old "myhobbystore" show them equal height!
I have to say Ive never had a set of plans before so full of innaccuracies and "artistic license".
I thinks a bit too late now to do much about this one though, as Ive already bonded the wheelhouse roof down in place, ah well.
Ive given all the deck railing time for the glue bond to fully dry before doing some "final reshaping" to the railings, get them a bit straighter looking. Then i can start priming them up before top coat.
I need to finish the railings off before I fit the liferaft cannisters, otherwise I wont be able to paint the inner faces of the rails in places on the upper wheelhouse deck.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

Well I think when she came home she only had one radar set for some time, the second was fitted latter so that she could comply with the Dover strait regs. When the Goldeneye went the Thames estuary work transfered to Rosyth, but when Rosyth went it went back to Portsmouth, this time the outer Thames Estuary went to the Moorhen and the Medway Ports Authority was given the contract to do the Medway work. Though soon afterwoods the Thames Estuary work was carried out by the Sal's class, as Moorhen was costly out of port because her crew each evening went ashore to stay in Hotels and they also drew night subsistance each, because really she was designed as a day work harbour mooring lighter not as a coaster.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2012, 12:19:53 am »

http://youtu.be/nNRJ5H4B5pg

Finally !
A post update.

I have to admit to having too many builds and renovation projects on the go at once, but find it easier to juggle between them, so as one bit is drying on one build, i can then do something else on another, and so on..........

I have now got the crane operational and tests ok for a long term fix. The navigational light aray is on and working fully, so just a few more minor details now to sort around the deck and life raft fittings.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »

Hi Greg, lovely model, the deck paintwork is really realistic, must be harder to paint than the greendeck of a new virgin working deck. One little point, the green gemini was always stowed on the working deck, it was put anywhere there was a space. The orange rescue boat went on the aft boat deck. I say again best model I have seen so far of her.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2012, 12:10:33 am »

Thanks for your comments. The gemini you see, will be placed on the working deck, but for now, till I make a balsa dummy to sit under the dayglo cover on the stern platform.
The green deck had to be fully painted "green" to start with, then it was given a good wash over with the brown/rust stain, making sure to then leave patches of "green" where you would expect the deck to be "untouched/not walked on". Areas around "common walk routes" were also treated to some dull silver, especially on step edges and door edges to replicate the "wear" usually seen, although difficult to image correctly on a camera image.

im taking the final stages of the build slowly so as not to ruin the build, thats why the update posts are further between now, as its taking longer to complete each bit as they become more delicate to do now as all the "big stuff" is done.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Olaf

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:07 pm »

How do I view the pictures in this thread please?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2013, 06:17:36 pm »

I think you have to input the security code each time you log in
for the first few visits.
You should then be able to view the pictures.

Welcome to Mayhem

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Olaf

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2013, 04:22:54 pm »

Thank you, I've got them, not sure if I have the time or the skill to build to this detail though, very impressive.

MGSweeney

• Shipmate
  • Just getting into model boats
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2016, 06:43:38 pm »

Your model is amazing! This is going to be my first build, currently have the plans and just waiting on the hull, i've found this thread very helpful. I know you built this some years ago now but would be grateful if you could send me any extra pictures/details/tips. Thanks in advance.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.