Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Window beading  (Read 4658 times)

hover tim

Window beading
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:10:17 pm »

Hello all

My Current craft has 4 mm wide D profile strip round the windows i have tired bending the plastic stuff with little sucess is there anyting out there that i could use

Roadrunner

Re: Window beading
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:35 pm »

with out suggesting a place to get them cast for you there is a method that may work in your favor which i have attempted before with a good outcome,

you will want to setup a jig of the window, so for curves use some brass tube or doweling and place them in a pre drilled hole. then take some flat strip of plastic card and glue between the posts to give you what should be the internal shape of the window.

Now cut your plastic card to the dimension needed (strip) and place this strip at any of the flat sections, take a hair dryer on a low heat setting heat up the plastic slowly and as its heating up bend the edge around post to give your curve, be sure as soon as your curve is done to take the heat off!

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »

There is another method which just sprang to mind to make them from a flat sheet of ply, but it will require you to purchase a tool which would involve cutting the window frame to the exact external size, then internally cut out where the window will sit.

you should have a hollow 'square' wooden window frame at this point.

The tool in question is the Dremel with the router attachment and a 1/4 round over bit, just run the dremel around the inside and outside edges of your wooden frame to give you the D profile your seeking.

Might be a tad expensive tool wise for such a little job, but someone you know may have the tool already so burrowing it for a few hours may work out.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:03:35 pm »

can I make another suggestion I cut the hole out first in a sheet, then rough trim and Finnish on a disk bench sander to size this way it stays rigid and you have more to hold when cutting the centre out,

peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »

Hi one way I have used to simulate the rime around the cabin windows is to insert 1 mm thick plastic strip around the edge of the inside of the window opening then round off the outer edge of the strip with wet and dry paper then make a template from cardboard of the inside dimension of the glass and stick it to a old clear CD case with double sided sticky tape and then cut to size remove cardboard and fit into window

Hope this helps

Aye
John E
Bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »

yep that is also handy if the windows have there own eyebrows as one of the fire boats had.

peter

Fifie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:24:31 pm »

Perhaps I can help
I can produce windows in various forms
The most common is a frame that consists of an outer frame with a shoulder to fir in the aperture into which the perspex glass fits
Please check my website www.bellrockmodels.com
Fifie

kiwi

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:44:46 pm »

Hi,
Have you tried using brass "fret wire" its for replacing the frets on a guitar. It is 'T' shaped in profile, and the top is 'D' shaped. bend to shape to fit the window opening, push into opening (has tiny tangs to grip with) and the window can be cut to exact shape and snapped in. Have used it successfully in the past, but a while ago, and got mine from a music instrument shop. Assume its still available.
cheers
kiwi

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:32 pm »

Model railway track works well, and it comes in various scales, if warmed bends well, and with a little time, fine emery paper, and sand away the coating, and with luck a brass window frame... :-)
Steamed up all the time

tony23

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

I know it's not a boat but on the other forum for my steam loco's there's a guy making window frames for a Britannia cab using half round brass purchased from Polly Model engineering http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/ or blackgates http://www.blackgates.co.uk/ or Maidstone Engineering http://shop.maidstone-engineering.co.uk/

http://modeleng.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=5906&page=3

Nordsee

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:52:06 pm »

You could try the rubber"S" section that is sold for model aircraft windows, takes upto 2mm thick material and holds everything very well, Should think it is nearly 100% watertight as well. It is a similar section as that of full size rubbers for vans etc, How much do you want? I have about 50cms here if you want it.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.