Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: post war daring class  (Read 2027 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
post war daring class
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:47:36 pm »

I have been given a Daring Class destroyer, and am trying to spruce her up a bit. My dilema is what colout were the top  decks. At present they are dark blue, which indicATES it may be Australian. But from what I gather british boat had brick red decks or green decks. Any help here!!!!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

deadbeat

Re: post war daring class
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:54:24 pm »

I can't help directly, but a Battle Class which preceded the Darings had green non-slip decks with a brick red foc'stle.

HMAS Vampire is a museum ship in Sydney and may give you some useful pictures and Peru took a Daring as well (ex Decoy) which may still be around which may provide coloured photos.

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:28:26 pm »

Klunk, decks can be green or red - on a battle our decks were red in the Home fleet and Green in the Far east so i did mine in green (humborl 88 is perfect)
I think most ships were the same - with home fleet red and  F.E. and West indies green - you will soon know if it is RN or RAN  as RAN only had one set of
torpedo tubes, 2 CRBFD and a Limbo(mortar mk 10) instead of a Squid mortar.
Geoff

ramjun

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:16 pm »

just seen this post, I served on HMS Decoy on her last commision prior to her sale? to peru, concrete bilges included, the decks were green and the main bulwarks were grey with a large smattering of rust, what peru did to deserve this i don,t know, slept in a hammock, wonderful in an atlantic storm.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:12:40 pm »

Guys....many years ago I walked on an HMAS Daring class.....decks were standard HMA gray with the usual antiskid areas as appropriate :D .......

Mind you..... my job was not to paint the deck {-)  ....but try & get the Vickers 4.5" mounting's ...... working  >>:-( ..........Derek  :-))

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »

Perhaps we will never know which Daring it was unless Klunk deigns to give us an answer

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.