Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Naval Mistake....  (Read 4643 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Big Naval Mistake....
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:07 pm »

And their Heads. John.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Big Naval Mistake....
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 05:40:17 pm »

I read today that the Iranian supply ship is the "Kharg". Well, well, well. What a surprise! I've spent goodness knows how long over the years I've been looking for her on Google Earth. Eventually I decided that she must have been scrapped. Essentially she was an RFA "OL" class replenishment ship (liquids only), but re-configured to act as a "one-stop" ship. We on our "bog-standard" "OL" were more than a bit envious of her. Built at Swan-Hunters, by the way. She had a double hangar (we had a single extended one), proper guns and multi use RAS rigs. Some of her cargo tanks (oils of various kinds) were of stainless steel. She was/is a superb ship.
Her design and build quality put our "OLs" to shame, although being built in the same yard....just a question of how much money could be spent on it I suppose. The pertinent thing about her was our then relationship with Iran. She was designed to operate within an infrastructure modelled on our "Stonnery" system, which needs a huge shore based organisation to support it.
I suppose I should feel a bit pleased that she's still going strong although she's pretty elderly now and probably considered obsolescent. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.