Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Atlantis 'Ladybird' - Maiden Voyage!  (Read 5888 times)

Richard M

Robbe Atlantis 'Ladybird' - Maiden Voyage!
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:31:29 pm »

Some images from Robbe Atlantis maiden voyage - more can be viewed on my Flickr site = Model Boat Addict at http://www.flickr.com/photos/53640924@N04/

Unfortunately there was so little wind that I didnt get a chance to set the sails up properly.  It was also somewhat cold!  So I went home for a hot drink!

Many thanks to all you helpful people who replied to my questions during the build of Atlantis - watch this space - Im just starting a scratch build of a Lowestoft sailing trawler - probably Excelsior!  It will be a while before the maiden voyage of that one!

Richard M

Brian Roberts

Re: Robbe Atlantis 'Ladybird' - Maiden Voyage!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

Hi Richard

I really must congratulate you on your beautiful Atlantis/Ladybird, you've done a fine job. As you know I'm building an Atlantis myself and it's certainly a challenge but you've certainly risen to it with flying colours!
Also, your photographs on this site and Flickr are excellent and very informative.

Brian

Richard M

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »

Thanks Brian for your comments. As you know there were some hiccups and head scratching along the way. I am particularly happy with the paint finish courtesy of Halfords acrylic car sprays.

I have to sort out a sensible way to move her from car to lake before I develop a hernia.

RichardM

tony23

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »

Richard that looks very nice I am considering painting my hull a two tone I'm just trying to choose the colours. Did you use the decking kit I want to buy my own decking but I'm having a nightmare with Jotika Ltd I have been waiting for some planking samples for 5 weeks and they keep promising there'll post some looks to me they don't need hundred quids worth of order. {:-{ would you advise to ballast the hull after the hull has been painted?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:26:25 pm »

Fabulous  :-)) :-)) :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Richard M

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »

Thanks for comments guys.

Re spamcanmans questions, I used the Robbe wood pack because I had not read the bad comments at the time I bought it. I had no trouble at all with the decking strips in the pack and they come out a nice warm blond colour when varnished. There were enough left over so I also used the same strips for the cabin roofs but without caulking.
The only problem in the wood pack was with an awful stripy plywood provided by Robbe to make the cabin roofs look pretty. It delaminated as soon as I tried to bend it to take up the roof camber.

I absolutely recommend fitting the weight as late as you can get away with. It makes handling easier and mine fell out when I turned the hull upside down for painting although I had secured it with a ton of mastic. I think Robbe's build sequence is a bit strange.

By the way Spamcanman, are you building Valdavia? or Atlantis?
RichardM

tony23

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

Hi Richard,
                 I'm building the Atlantis although I mentioned in an earlier post a Valdavia but unfortunately with this forum things cannot be rectified after 30mins. I also asked TwiggFolly for same samples I got 2 inch pieces of strip wood dismal I thought it looks like I'm going to have to drive to these suppliers even though it's going to be a 200 mile round trip to either of these  :((

Brian Roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:27 pm »

Richard that looks very nice I am considering painting my hull a two tone I'm just trying to choose the colours. Did you use the decking kit I want to buy my own decking but I'm having a nightmare with Jotika Ltd I have been waiting for some planking samples for 5 weeks and they keep promising there'll post some looks to me they don't need hundred quids worth of order. {:-{ would you advise to ballast the hull after the hull has been painted?
]

Hi SpamCanMan

As you may recall I'm building an Atlantis also, and following Richard's experience of the keel falling out after inverting the boat I've done everything that needs doing to the hull in the inverted position before inserting it.

It's made life much easier and now I'm getting on with the "innards" and planking happy in the knowledge that the hull is going to remain upright.

I bought all the planking from Jotika and have had no problems at all with quality or delivery.

Brian

tony23

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:32 am »

Hi Brian,
             I'm going to give them one last call on Monday what did you decide to use on the deck?

Brian Roberts

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:14:44 am »

Hi SCM

I'm using mahogany for the centre and the outer strip up against the buwarks, and limewood for the rest.

Brian

Eddie W

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 07:29:10 pm »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just started to build a Robbe Atlantis. Having never done electrics before, I am having problems getting my head around the diagrams . Is there any chance someone could put some photos of the inside of the boat, so that I can see what the finished item looks like. I've been on all the usual sites with not much success.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »

Eddie
If you click onto www.sparksstudios.co./boatyard/atlantis.htm  you'll find loads of photos of the build of the Atlantis including some pics of the "innards".
I found it to be a big help when I built my Atlantis.
Good luck
Brian

Eddie W

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »

thanks for posting that link. its one of the sites I've already looked at. As I have no experience in boats with ele :-)ctrics in, it still confuses me.

tony23

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 12:09:49 am »

there really is nothing to see inside the boat what do you have a problem with is it the positioning of the winch drum or something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.