Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planet T5  (Read 4344 times)

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
Planet T5
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »

can anyone confirm if the Planet 2.4ghz radio conforms to the EU conformation numbers i.e ETS1 EN 300220 or EMC EN 300683. I know it has a CE 0700 number on the back of the transmiter. Im asking because at our last club meeting new rules from the mpba said that if a 2.4ghz radio set does not conform to these numbers they will be banned from use.

regards, Les.  ( I can confirm I've written confirm a lot of times  %%)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Planet T5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »

Every little bit of electronics that comes out of China has a CE lable, I wonder how much actually gets tested.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:04:03 pm »

The importer should be able to supply a copy of the appropiate cetificate showing compliance Most cant despite claiming conformity
John.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »

Is the relevent CE certification only nominating that the product was built to this certified design? ....  :o .,...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:01:15 pm »

Is the relevent CE certification only nominating that the product was built to this certified design? ....  :o .,...Derek

:-))

and means nothing in OZ

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »

Thanks for your replys guys, I will try to get in touch with JP Perkins

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:54:04 pm »

marked in the first page of my instruction booklet is a note that it conforms to eu regulations to directive1999/5/ec . ive had mine set for just a year now with no issues . which club are you sailing with back home ? ( bristol is my home city , i moved to portsmouth a couple of years ago ! )

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

Hi Triumphjon, I sail with yate and sodbury although I live in south bristol.
regards, Les.

Albion

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:52 am »

Every little bit of electronics that comes out of China has a CE lable, I wonder how much actually gets tested.
It costs nothing to mark with CE label, it doesn't even need to be tested, but of course if it is subsequently found to be non compliant with any CE regs the supplier has a problem. I think many of these guys just hope!!! A friend of mine runs a division of TUV in Asia, and they approach the mid/large sized companies with a view to testing their wares to ensure compliance. I was surprised by how many products he fails and this is from big names in Japan and Korea who should know better, what comes out of china?!?!?!? {:-{

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:40 am »

but how much of the electronics get tested by our authorities when its imported to this country ? as its marketed by one of the larger importers of hobby products i should think they would have made sure its compatible with our radio regulators ?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47:54 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

The Wiki is NOT an authoritative source of information, but it often has interesting comments on it.

In the case of the CE mark the Wiki states that the mark indicates that the manufacturer self-certifies that he has built the item in accordance with EU regulations. No testing of this is required at manufacture, though there may be a later audit if something is blatantly non-compliant... 

However, in our rule-obsessed culture, purchasers organisations (like the MPBA) have been demanding that these stickers are present on all items. The Wiki suggests that in many cases, items which do not need to have a CE mark are nevertheless provided with one in order to allay purchasers fears. Purchasers believe that the mark provides some guarantee of quality - this does not actually seem to be the case. Chinese manufacturers must be muttering 'Crazy Westerners!' and ordering vast numbers of general purpose CE stickers. I suspect that they think we see it as a 'lucky emblem'....

I particularly like the comments at the bottom of the article - CE marks which deviate slightly from the prescribed dimensions are sometimes found, and an urban myth is starting up that these stand for 'Chinese Export'. Says it all, really.....

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:00:01 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

However, in our rule-obsessed culture, purchasers organisations (like the MPBA) have been demanding that these stickers are present on all items.

Sorry Dodgy not the MPBA, but the UKRCC, and I think you will find the requirement for the stickers comes from the EU. It applies to practically ALL electric and electronic equipment. It is the responsibility of the importer to ensure the equipment has the correct approvals, so unless you buy direct from China, you're in the clear.

Barrie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:05:08 am »

In Oz at least the bottom line is the consumer is the testing and inspecting authority as no manufacturer (Imported products) inspect merchandise prior to shipping.
Reliance is placed on product guarantees provided.
It was explained to me that all goods are shipped out no matter in what condition otherwise production is delayed which increases costs.
Far cheaper to send it all out and only replace what, if any, comes back.
In a lot of cases, it is relatively cheap to replace the item than to claim against warranty and inconvenience.
Could be said that it is a subtle form of conditioning.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »

Sorry Dodgy not the MPBA, but the UKRCC, and I think you will find the requirement for the stickers comes from the EU....

Um... the requirement for stickers is certainly an EU directive. What I was trying to stress (paraphrasing the Wiki article) was:

1 - The EU has instituted a marking scheme which does not provide a high degree of assurance that the marked item is compliant.
2 - This marking scheme has the benefit of being immediately visible, so there is a demand for it from the marketplace (purchasers, clubs, and lower-level regulatory groups like the MPBA).
3 - The net result is that many items are provided with stickers, but there is no assurance that the items either need stickers, or comply with appropriate regulations if they do in fact need them.

This applies across the board to all CE markings. In the case of radio transmitters it is certainly true that they need to comply with a variety of regulations, and carry stickers. What I wanted to indicate was that while a scheme to ensure proper technical and safety compliance seems like a good idea, and is generally thought to be a good idea by the consumers, in practice the scheme is not foolproof, and may become a meaningless icon, kept alive by customer demand rather than practical benefit.

Mind you, there are a lot of similar instances in commerce. All bottles of alcoholic drinks carry an assertion that they are of a particular strength, and all packets of cigarettes carry an assertion that duty has been paid on them, so I suppose it keeps someone happy...

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:55 pm »

Looking at the OP - if they are requiring 2.4GHz sets to comply with EN 300220 then nothing will comply as this cover up to 1GHz. The necessary standard is EN 300683.

A CE mark is not just a badge of convenience. By affixing a CE mark the manufacturer - or if the equipment is manufactured outside of the EU, the importer declares that the equipment meets all the requirements of European legislation. In the event of the equipment being proven to be non-compliant, it is the manufacturer or importer that is legally liable and will be prosecuted. They are also open to being sued for consequental damages. However, a CE mark is not of itself sufficient - the manufacturer or importer must also generate a declaration of conformity (DoC) or certtificate of conformity (CoC) signed by an officer of the company identifiying the equipment and the standards to which it has been tested. This may or may not reference third party assessment. They should affix a copy of the certificate or declaration to the documentation or at the very least produce it on demand - this must identify the equipment by type number so it can be unambiguously identified.

The key thing for compliance is this certificate - without that all bets are off.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:24 am »

My first Planet T5 stopped working and was returned for replacement to Leeds , but the one thing i did notice was there was not a CE marking on the set ,
as i checked it against the new one i bought at CADMA .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.