Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Kiwi Marblehead (I think?)  (Read 2524 times)

Deepsearacing Mullet.

Old Kiwi Marblehead (I think?)
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:59:14 pm »

Heya guys from the city of sails Auckland I have just started a restoration refit on an old hull I had under the house I think its a Marblehead but not too sure ,I work at a Boatbuilding yard so have access to Paint booths etc so are just getting the old girl ready for a lick of paint before I start the rigging stage.

I am a complete novice so would appreciate any imput you guys could offer along the way.
I have a complete rig on the way from a local supplier we have here   Isobar Yachts     but are a little unsure as to how to rig all the winch and pulleys up or which is the best way to configure them all.
I was given a complete radio set up with a Hi tec 795 sail Winch so was planning to use that not sure if that will be strong enough to pull in a Marble head sails in ??? or I should just bite the bullet and buy a RMG one.

Deepsearacing Mullet.

Re: Old Kiwi Marblehead (I think?)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »

I saw this lay out on one of the other posts on sail Winches and thought I would just copy that on my Yacht  is there anyone who can offer a better alternative?
I ca,nt access the forward part of my hull without chopping another hatch in (which I would rather avoid) so thought putting this type of Closed loop would be the way to go just wish the Double deck block hales were a bit cheaper at $26.00 NZ each they start to add up when you need 7 of them.

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:19:25 pm »

Hey! That's mine! Must be good then!  {-)

Deepsearacing Mullet.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:05:31 pm »

G,day Mate ,yep I hope your one works sweet because I,m coping it pretty much too a tee, is there anything you would have done differently in hind sight.???
Is that a Hi tec 795 sail winch you have in your boat or is it the bigger one does it do the job alright.
I will upload some more pics later of my progress on the rigging.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:41:27 pm »

Hello,

This is the sheeting setup I have been using on my schooner, Bluenose for years.
Never snags or gets fouled up, the only Pulleys needed are to guide the sheets onto the sails.
No springs or elastic - - it just works, and keeps on working !.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

rmaddock

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »

G,day Mate ,yep I hope your one works sweet because I,m coping it pretty much too a tee, is there anything you would have done differently in hind sight.???
Is that a Hi tec 795 sail winch you have in your boat or is it the bigger one does it do the job alright.
I will upload some more pics later of my progress on the rigging.

Hello again,
    The sail winch is an HS-725BB.  I hope that helps.  I haven't sailed her much so I can't talk about longevity but she's been out in some quite stiff breezes with no problems on the winch front.  As I understand it, the advantage of the system I've used is that you have a closed loop round the winch drum.  There's always tension to keep the sheets in place.....no snags.
    I haven't worked up the courage to build another yet so I haven't thought about anything I'd do differently.  Nothing springs to mind.
There's a video here of her sailing, you can see how quickly the winch works.
Cheers,

Robert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.