Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: major damage in nz earthquake  (Read 3371 times)

hopeitfloats

major damage in nz earthquake
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:25:28 am »

another quake hit christchurch  today.  major damage and 65 dead. chch was just starting to recover from the september quake. i live 80km away and it was pretty shakey here.  thoughts go to MBM members there and all others.

AndrewB

Re: major damage in nz earthquake
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:47:27 am »

Hi all a very sad day!! at this stage 65 wonderful people are confirmed dead <:(

My thoughts are with you Christchurch
 <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:46 am »

My thoughts are with you Christchurch, a sad day.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:41 am »

I have just seen the photos. It looks like a war zone. A very sad time indeed. My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch..

AndrewB

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:15:59 am »

It is looking like 250-400 people dead.....stunned and so so up set and gutted

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:35 am »

A sad sad day, our heartfelt sympathy to all Kiwis.
..well can you land on this?

wideawake

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:54 pm »

A sad sad day, our heartfelt sympathy to all Kiwis.

Yes my thoughts are with everyone in Christchurch.    My daughter and her family live up on the north coast of SI at Mapua but have friends and colleagues in Christchurch.   They are very shaken up by what's happened.   They're used to regular small tremors but nothing as devastating as this.

Guy

alan rushbrook

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »

My son & his family live in Christchurch. I managed to speak to him earlier today and thank heavens he and his family are OK. He said that the damage is far worse than the quake last September a lot of buildings have collapsed or are badly damaged. It took him 2 1/2 hrs. to drive home from work a journey that normally takes 15 mins. My 2 granddaughters aged 9 & 8 are standing up to it very well considering what that have been through since last September, this also applies to all the other residents of Christchurch. From what my son says some people have now had their homes destroyed twice. So to all the people of Christchurch who read this site I offer my heartfelt sympathy and my thoughts and prayers are with you in this differcult time.

Alan

Lord Bungle

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »

Thoughts from here to those down there, The southern Hemisphere seems to be getting a bit of a battering oh late, lets all hope it comes to a halt soon

geoff p

NZ Earthquake
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:01:45 am »

I've just received this link to pictures of the Christchurch, NZ, earthquake.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/christchurch_earthquake.html

Like many, I hadn't realised what it meant in terms of destruction, and the difficulty involved trying to rescue people.

My thoughts go to all Kiwis.

Geoff

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: NZ Earthquake
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 06:59:04 am »

My thoughts go to all Kiwis.

Mine too, and especially to those either directly affected, or with family or friends in the area.

I've been watching the rescue on TV with particular interest, as one of my brothers-in-law comes from Christchurch, and he still has family there. As far as we can ascertain, his family is OK, but obviously, many others aren't. I have been to Christchurch on 4 occasions and it is a beautiful city. To see the destruction of so many lovely buildings is heartbreaking, but that pales into insignificance when the human cost is taken into account. Who knows what the final death toll will be? It may be a long time before all the rubble is cleared, and all the bodies are retrieved. It's absolutely horrifying.

Australia has sent 2 RAAF Hercules transports from Sydney with police, rescue personnel and equipment. A RAAF C17 also left Brisbane with other personnel and equipment.
According to news reports, Britain, USA, Taiwan and Singapore are also sending rescue teams. All of these people will be working to assist the local authorities in the search and recovery process.

Peter.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:04:58 am »

the death toll is now 91 and 226 unaccounted for

barryfoote

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:25 am »

Looking through those images gave me goose bumps and made me feel cold......Words cannot express how I feel about this terrible tragedy....

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

Just returned from Christchurch after spending 5 weeks there visiting my daughter and her family. They are close to the city centre but are OK and the house does not appear to have suffered any more damage. Others are far from as lucky and I can understand their anguish.
I will try and remember this next time I am tempted to complain about our weather.
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »

NZ earthquake topics merged.

Peter Fitness,
Moderator.

brianB6

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »

We watched the live, unedited, NZTV3 broadcast about 1 1/2 hours after the quake.
Absolutely frightening. The shots have been 'cleaned' up since.
It's not only the CBD that has been devastated but all the surrounding homes. At least 1000 people are homeless.
We pray for all those affected.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »

Regrettably the mainstream media are focusing on the doom and gloom in the city (Christchurch).

But surrounding suburbs/towns homes and at the quake centre have had huge boulders/rocks come crashing down hillsides/mountain tops demolishing homes and landslides have totally blocked roads.

It is a lot worse than what is being shown.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:29:02 am »

I suppose that it's only natural to focus on the Christchurch CBD, as that's where so much of the damage was done, including serious damage to the city's iconic Christ Church Cathedral. However, as mentioned, other areas suffered bad damage as well, including the port of Lyttleton, which is Christchurch's major ocean gateway. I believe that the tunnel through the Port Hills from Lyttleton to Christchurch has been closed due to roof damage, and only one other road between the two centres is trafficable. It seems that the epicentre of the quake was 5km below Lyttleton, relatively shallow in earthquake terms.

Peter.

pugwash

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:40 am »

I know that many are still listed as missing - I just hope some of these sniffer dogs and rescue teams are successful.
People were saved from the Haiti earchquake many days after the event. So there has to still be some hope at this stage.
Geoff

hopeitfloats

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 10:10:14 am »

this is a parody of a famous (in nz) song called there's a fraction too much friction.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6-knLM7MZA  click on 'show more' if you want to see the lyrics.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:49 am »

this is a parody of a famous (in nz) song called there's a fraction too much friction.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6-knLM7MZA  click on 'show more' if you want to see the lyrics.

Mate, very well done but struth what a mess, not much press about this.

:-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »

My Kiwi brother-in-law's father lives in Christchurch, and he had a liquefaction problem at his house which has since settled down. My sister and brother-in-law flew to NZ last week to help the old chap while the Earthquake Commission repairs his house.

Apparently, there is a levy placed on all insurance premiums which is paid into a fund administered by the Earthquake Commission. If a policy holder suffers earthquake damage, the Commission assesses it, and pays a maximum of NZ$100,000 for the building and NZ$20,000 for contents. In the case of my brother-in-law's father they took one look and immediately paid him NZ$120,000. The sting in the tail of this scheme is that you must be insured to receive any benefits from the Commission.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.