Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cunard Queens in Sydney  (Read 1594 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Cunard Queens in Sydney
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:08 am »

I am currently in Sydney visiting one of our sons and his family, and our visit coincided with the arrival of two Cunard liners. The new Queen Elizabeth is making its first world cruise and met Cunard flagship Queen Mary 2 in Sydney Harbour.

I went into the city yesterday to see the two big liners and took a series of photos, some of which are below. The QE was moored at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, while the QM2 was at the Garden Island naval facility. Big crowds turned out to see the arrival of the two ships at about 7am, and thousands were there when I went in at about 11 am.

I was particularly interested to see the new Queen Elizabeth, as my wife and I were fortunate enough to be on board the QE2 when she left Sydney for the final time in its nearly 40 year career. I spoke to one of the current passengers who had also travelled on QE2, and asked him how the new ship compared with the old liner. His reply was "well, the latest Elizabeth is new, and pretty, but the QE2 is, well, the QE2". I would love to have the chance to travel on the new liners, but will always treasure my experience on the wonderful QE2.

A couple of the photos of the QE show her with two of Sydney's icons in the background, the famous Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House, while another shows her between two of Sydney's ferries. The Queenscliff is one of the Manly ferries, while the other is a normal harbour ferry.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cunard Queens in Sydney
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:11:40 pm »

Nice pics Peter, thanks for posting. We are booked on the QM2 Transatlantic crossing in September to celebrate our 40th. Looking forward to it.

Colin

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »

You lucky Men.
I remember my visit 2 years ago to Sydney. Fantastic!! I want to go back soon. Lets hope my Loto numbers come up tonight. <*< <*<
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:09 pm »

I thought you may be interested, Colin. Here are some more shots of QM2, one shows her dwarfing a couple of naval vessels. I have also attached a shot of QE's bow mooring lines.

Peter.

thunderay

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:49 am »

Hey,nice pics!
I lived in Sydney for 6 yrs. I also worked for Shaw saville in the 70's and docked at circular quay on a regular basis. Good memories!

brassman

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:35 am »

They are great pics - still saving up in the hope of a trip on QM2! She somehow manages to have a bit of the old liner sense of awe and power despite the needs of a modern ship. Your pics capture that so well.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

Arriving in Sydney on the 22nd February aboard Fred Olsens Balmoral, we had to wait whilst the QE left Circular Quay so that we could berth there.

The attached photos show the QE leaving, the QM2 berthed in the Naval Dockyard, the QM2 as she reversed out beyond the Opera house the next day (taken from our berth on Circular Quay), and 2 shots of the Queen Victoria as she followed us through the Panama Canal on the 21st January.

Don B.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:58:36 am »

thanks for sharing the images O0  Welsh_Druid ....that last one of QV in a port turn looks  %%

Enjoy your world water tour........ we are envious  >>:-( .....Derek ..:-)).
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »

Great shots, Don :-)) :-)).

Your photos of the QV following you through the Panama Canal brought back memories of our trip on the QE2. We went through the Panama from the Pacific to the Atlantic, and a shot of us entering one of the locks, taken from just below the bridge, is attached.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 22 queries.