Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric Motor Identification help requested  (Read 5063 times)

Lord Bungle

Electric Motor Identification help requested
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:36:40 am »

I have a Model Flight Accessories Badged "Barracuda" electric motor, on the label it has hand written 630 4, I have no idea if that has anything to do with its power or if its just something that has been put there over time, I have looked on line and the only info I could find was its an old motor thats no longer made, so not much help. Is there any way to determine the power of a motor so I can get the correct speed controllers and batteries for it as I would like to use it as it was fitted to the kit in first place.

The kit is a MFA Spear, I contacted MFA and they gave me details on the kit, what motor they suggested I fit but nothing on the Barracuda motor.

Hope someone here may be able to help.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Electric Motor Identification help requested
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:26:16 pm »

Hello, I use Barracuda motors in my tugs, geared 3 to1 down. Have used them for years. You can tell if it is a Barracuda because it has a little pipe sticking up. they are an excellent motor, 6v,12v, 12v & I think you could run them on 24 as well for a short while. At 12v they run at 3000rpm with stacks of torque. I used two in my Arun L/B running 12 & 18v, very good performance & reasonable endurance. If you find that they are surplus to your requirements here is someone who is in the market but I would hang on to them if I was you.
                                            Nemesis

Lord Bungle

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:39 pm »

Thank you so much for your reply, yes it has the little pipe sticking up, any idea what its for? what ampage of speed controller would you suggest for it? I will probably be using some form of esc, and a 12 volt 7amphour Battery.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:58:29 pm »

Hello, PM sent.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:32:25 pm »

Cheers :d I have started on rebuild of the boat now. removed a lot of the excess glue from the hull, fitted a new rudder, and started on clean up of electrics that came with it, got the siren working and the police light flashing. will be ordering a nice new shiney TX Rx package ans speed controller soon, then I will start the repairs on deck and cabin, give it a nice repaint, make up some new markings and be ready to have a go on a local lake :)

phillnjack

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »

Here is my barracuda motor that im thinking about fitting in a boat just for rescue purposes.

But then again i might have a bit of fun just running this only lakes where i cant use ic.

phill.......

Lord Bungle

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »

Mine along with its 70mm prop may be fitted into a springer type hull for my other half to play with, this mainly being rescuing me  {-)

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:33 pm »

the photo of the barracuda motor look very much like a smiths blower motor !

Lord Bungle

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

I shall bring mine along next time I pop down to canoe lake so you an compare them  :-)

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »

does it not look like a metro blower motor to you too ? ,

phillnjack

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:30 pm »

Ive often thought it was a smiths blower motor myself, everything about says old type motor used in the 50' 60;s.

phill

Lord Bungle

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 09:59:09 am »

It has plenty of tourque and is a big old lump, when I got my mfa 850 I was shocked to see how small it was

phillnjack

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 02:42:16 pm »

Years ago mfa sold these to go into the mfa fantome 46 inch fibre glass cruiser.

With 2 of these on 24 volts the boat is supposed to get on the plane.

the other option for the boats were a 10cc nitro , or 22cc fox f7 petrol engine.

ive never come across a fantome with the twin barracuda set up, but would like to see how they went

It looks like im gonna be running my barracuda on 24 volts in a 38 inch rescue boat with a planning hull.
I tried a decaperm and that was total disaster, ive seen barracudas on 12 volt, that was very slow as well.
So will see what happens on 24 volts

phill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.