Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: huntsman modefied  (Read 9017 times)

vosper

huntsman modefied
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:43:46 pm »

Hi
 finished on shoe string budget, mod to the twin motors and rudders, not sailed yet will be at llanberris mayhem this year.
Vosper 

vosper

Re: huntsman modefied
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

here are some pictures.

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:44 pm »

it certainly looks different having the swordsman enclosed wheelhouse fitted , your propshaft angles look very steep what motors have you fitted ?

a photo of one of mine a few weeks ago ( ive got three of them )

vosper

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:23 pm »

Hi
not sure what the motors are got second hand maybe like 600 on 8.4 volts, tried in bath water all over the floor, done on the cheap had to use shaft i had so motors are just in front of rear cabin.
What power have you got for yours.
vosper 

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »

the one pictured is being built with a pair of model motors direct 777 s i shall start with 8.4 volts but probably use a single 12 volt gell battery , as per full size my motors are under the cockpit floor , driving the shafts direct , still not finished yet , ive made the polished aluminium air scoops today and made a start with the cockpit screen frame , ive still got all of the window frames and glazing to make as well as finishing the paintwork off !

vosper

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »

hi
the 8.4 battery's i am using are off an electric flight plane 2 one foe each motor and 2 esc, the 2 motors cost £4.50. and the props not sure about just what i had. not tried on the water yet.
do gell cells give a fast running, i am still new to boating.
vosper

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:36 pm »

so how big are your battery packs ? the gel battery wont always make the model quicker , i shall probably fit one to drive my two motors to increase my running time . it a good idea to play around with a selection of different propellers to try and improve your performance, again larger props dont always improve speed , as they can put to much strain on the motor !

cliff2903

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »

looks like ive got some catching up to do ;)

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:42:18 pm »

just a little cliff2903 ! what scale are you working to ?  all of mine are 1 inch to the foot .

cliff2903

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »

its 1 and 1/2 inch to the foot,  bit of a challenge for a first project but i shall soldier on (its the --never mind the quality, just look at the size of it-- approach )  {-)

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

look at the fairey boat sales ( george currey ) web site as theres normally a good selection of photos for most of the fairey cabin cruisers , look under brokarage / sales . are you building with twin shafts or just one ?

phillnjack

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »

The top pic shows the shaft angle, its far too steep and the boat will be terrible on the water.

A friend of mine had similar angle years ago on his huntsman 46 inch, the back of the boat was lifted by the angle being to steep.
The front of the boat just could not come up on plane.

You could fit the most powerfull motors around, but this just will not be good.

If your motors are positioned in a place that you cannot get shaft to be at a better angle, simply fit a flexi shaft.

The boat looks nice and will no doubt look very good when finnished and on the water, but performance will be terrible.

The bow of the huntsman will dig in real bad, but by getting the shaft angle right youl have a great boat

phill :-)

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

phil this was also my concern , the shaft angle being too steep , vosper has admitted the motors are in the correct position although from the angle they are probably too far towards the stern ? ive been building both of my huntsmans and my spear using the original fairey drawings , which show the motors below the cockpit floor !  ive completed my huntsman 28 with a pair of 5 inch m4 shafts which is currently running on a pair of perkins 400 motors and 35mm 3 bladed plastic graupner props .on a standard 7.2 volt nimh pack its slowly getting up on the plane ! for my huntsman 31 and spear they are both fitted with 8 inch m4 shafts .

phillnjack

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:56 am »

On the model at the top of this page there is no way the motors are placed correctly under the cockpit floor.

As for fitting engines as per original full size, you have to remember the gearboxes are built so as the prop shaft would be
very close to bilge (hull bottom).
And although the original engine/engines were high powered diesels, they were not as massive as people might think in size.

To get a model prop as close in scale terms we would have to use very small diameter motors and couplings, this is where we have to
veer away from scale im afraid.

The angle is so important to get as small as possible to get the huntsman up on plane at the slowest speed possible.
And its also important that the transom is not lifted too high or the boat would lean over far too much in turns.
With the huntsman its a matter of let the hull decide where it wants to go, try to just propel it and let the hull do the work.

Once on plane the huntsman is beautifull boat, the way the water leaves the boat is classic, and the water comming off the v when
looking at it from the front is real nice.

phill

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »

judging by the phot at the top , the motors look to be too high and too far aft under the floor ? mine are just above the bilges and fitted towards the foward end of the cockpit just before the step down towards the front cabin , apart from an initial overheating issue and a motor smoking all seems well now ( the watercooling from the props with my copper coils on the motors mean my motors are now running cold ! )

phillnjack

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 12:47:00 am »

Motors look preety neat in the pic  :-))
and far enough forward to keep a good angle on shafts from the looks of it.

what motors are they are what sort of performance ?

is that the 42 inch or scratch built 48  ?

phill :-)

vosper

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:15:22 am »

Hi
what is the max angel the are 25deg to the keel. i could not get longer shafts with been on incapacity money when things get better i will put longer shafts in the props are all i could get they are plastic as well as brass are over the top in price. most of the wood is from the spare box. it is 47inc kit all wood very poor kit supposed to be pre cut had to re-cut all parts,
Next boat is going to be from plans.
vosper

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 02:26:14 am »

try shg for your shafts then I use them they are good material ad the difference between a 6" and 10" is so small that I would have waited and got one the right length.

Peter

a non Drinking / Smoking benefits recipient

PMK

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 03:31:38 am »

"a non Drinking / Smoking benefits recipient"

No, you just spend all your money on peanut butter instead. %)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 04:20:04 am »

"a non Drinking / Smoking benefits recipient"

No, you just spend all your money on peanut butter instead. %)
See you cant sleep either Pete. Peanut butter indeed !! {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:32 am »

I havent got a CAT Pete %% %% %%

%)  Peter  ;)

triumphjon

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:03 am »

performance isnt quite as quick as id like it , but i can always develop , my shafts are the stainless steel ones from marks model bits ( no mustang mark )  needed as im running in salt water ! all of my models are 1 inch to the foot (1/12 th )  so the second model ive shown with its twin motors is 28 inches stem to stern currently running on a pair of 400 brushed motors from perkins ( black canned units ) im also using a single 7.2 volt pack and an electronize esc . due to the esc only being the 15 amp unit ( 30 amp on order ) im limeted to a pair of 35 mm plastic props , when im satisfied with the performance i intend to upgrade to some polished metal props ! just like many of you my income is too low currently at just £ 56 per month , so i also work on a low buget and try to make as much as possible myself !

vosper

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »

hi
picture of inside anybody know what the motors are.
vosper

triumphjon

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

they look like standard 540 ones , they could do with a change in the shaft angles though to improve the performance !

triumphjon

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »

is your model the 34 inch or the bigger 46 inch one ?  all of mine are the shorter ones  ie my huntsman 31 is 34in hull ive placed the battery packs in the rear cabin along the centre line of the keel ,
photo shows the rudder servo & trim tab servo at the rear of the hull , my battery pack will sit just in front of this between my propshafts / motors

this should give you an idea of my shaft angles as veiwed from the underside of the hull , the shafts are 8 inch long m4 @ 63mm from the centre of the keel to the centre of the shaft , the outboard tip of the shaft is 73 mm from the transom . the shaft passes through the hull skin 205 mm from the transom ( to centre )  and sits from centre line of shaft to hull skin  ( below waterlie ) 29 mm . the rudders are 20 mm from the transom 63mm from the centre line of the keel . hope this will be of some assistance ? jon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.