Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd bits of history.  (Read 4122 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Odd bits of history.
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »

During my recent scourging of mindlessly retained bits of "bumph" I came across a whole load of "stuff" I'd forgotten all about. You may (or not) find some of it interesting.
I'll start off with a question. Anyone recognize this ship? A clue....she is painted grey.....
Notes from a simple seaman

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Odd bits of history.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »

Looks like RFA Sir Caradoc (L3522) to me...............

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:41:00 pm »

Of course you're correct. Wasn't meant to be part of a real quizz. But the RFA did have a few ships that seem to have dipped under the radar (so to speak).

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:42:19 pm »

With the loss of both “Sir Tristram” and “Sir Galahad” during the 1982 Falklands conflict the RFA found itself a bit short in “amphibious” capability. So they either bought or chartered 2 ships from someone who was probably only too pleased to offload them. The RFA renamed them “Sir Caradoc” (she in the picture quiz), and her near sister “Sir Lamorak”.
I (fortunately) never sailed in either of them. But they proved “useful” for a time doing the BOAR run between Marchwood and Antwerp. But from the stories I heard from her previous past inmates they were both horrific sea-ships. Hardened roughty-toughty sailors would be throwing up all over the place. The cargo of tanks and other vehicles must have had at least triple lashings on them. The “normal” LSLs were bad enough when it came to living up to their monika of “Roll On Roll About”. These were worse. So somehow or other they didn’t last very long. Perhaps the RN sank them. I don’t know. Perhaps the Army did the job. But off they went…somewhere. Maybe Greece. They buy all sorts of unwanted stuff

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:46:31 pm »

Having a bit of trouble posting the second half....bear with me! BY

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »

Lamorak...the near sister ship.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »

Well that was just yet another finger error!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »

Bryan,

It looks like she is still trading in the Far East, and had a bit of a to do last May see: http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-sir-caradoc-ships-details

Looking forward to what you have found in this other "stuff".

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

Bryan,

It looks like she is still trading in the Far East, and had a bit of a to do last May see: http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-sir-caradoc-ships-details

Looking forward to what you have found in this other "stuff".

I've got quite a lot really, but I'm having trouble getting it on to the Mayhem site. Mainly because of size. If I reduce a page to "acceptable limits" it becomes unreadable. If it was all just "print" then I'd be OK, but there are photos included within the text. I'll keep trying. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:42 pm »

OK, we'll try again!
For those who may have seen these photos before, I apologize...but many won't have seen them and may like to add them to their collection. Poor "Sir Galahad"...leaving and never to return.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:48 pm »

Poor little Antelope...last time I was there she was still leaking.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 05:50:19 pm »

I wish that more than 161kb was allowed on here! These are all reduced from 3mb+.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:59:44 pm »

These 2 pictures are really an appendix to my earlier ramblings in the Nautical, Strange But True thread.
Recalling how some Captains would do anything to escape the rigours of a Portland work-up whilst sadistically enjoying the trials being suffered by the rest of the ships company....I came across this cartoon.
The 2nd photo is an updated one of the slow demise of the whale catcher "Petrel", still mouldering away at "her" quay (South Georgia).

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »

I imagine that many people on this forum will either not know or have forgotten, that the RFA kept some of the STUFTs (Ships Taken Up From Trade) and incorporated them into the fleet. The "Leaf" class of tankers, "Diligence", "Argus" and "Reliant" were the main acquisitions.
"Reliant" was originally a container ship in Harrisons fleet (I've forgotten her original name), but she was both interesting and short lived within the RFA. She was re-configured as a sort of aircraft carrier for helicopters (although I think she may also have been Harrier capable...I could be wrong there). The Americans had come up with this notion and called it "Arapaho". Basically a containerised "quick fit" emergency solution. Containers were fitted out as store rooms, accomodation, workshops etc. It still sounds like an interesting concept...especially when the size and speed of modern container ships is taken into account. Except that we have no more fixed wing aircraft to deploy to one.
The 1st photo is "Reliant" alongside "Scottish Eagle" in San Carlos.
The 2nd is just a more general view of her.
I also haven't a clue what happened to her. "Here one day, gone the next"!

pugwash

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:13:10 pm »

Hi Bryan - just had a look at wiki - she was returned to the merchant fleet and renamed "Admiralty Island" in 1986 when it was found the Arapaho
system was no use for handling aircraft.
Scrapped Alang 1998.
Geoff

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:31:47 pm »

Hi Bryan - just had a look at wiki - she was returned to the merchant fleet and renamed "Admiralty Island" in 1986 when it was found the Arapaho
system was no use for handling aircraft.
Scrapped Alang 1998.
Geoff
Geoff..thanks for that. By "no good for handling aircraft" do you mean the "manglers" wouldn't work, or something else? I'm always a bit wary of wiki as it seems full of personal opinions rather than facts. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »

My next 3 are of the British India vessel "Uganda", sister ship of "Kenya"....which should give a very strong hint as to what run they were designed for.
The 1st photo is how she looked when new...handsome. The 2nd is after her (to my eyes) rather ugly conversion.
No.3.......After her "conversion" she was used as a "school ship", which meant she was ideal for a rapid further conversion into a Hospital Ship during the Falklands conflict. The photo shows her finally leaving the Falklands on her way back to the UK. Certainly needs a bit of TLC. The black line is not a blemish, but her huge "paying off" pennant. I've forgotten the protocol of this thing. Perhaps Pugwash could re-enlighten me! As an ex-"bunts" he'll know more about it than I ever would.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 06:02:40 pm »

Two rather nicer ones this time.
The 1st is of 2 Maersk tankers at anchor off Ascension Island (M "Harrier" and M "Ascension")...we got ships from all over the place back in 1982.
The 2nd one is of a bit of what has become a sort of "tradition". When a ship leaves a group for the final time it's become usual for the other ships in the group to do a "steam past" and chuck "stuff" at the departing ship. This can range from high pressure water hoses (as in this picture), to hand thrown rotten tomatoes. All good fun. This one was at the end of one of her Gulf deployments.

pugwash

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:47 pm »

Hi Bryan if I remember correctly a paying off pennant is a yard long for every month the ship has been in commission.
As for the bit about Arapaho I was just quoting from Wiki - I had never heard of it before you mentioned it.

Geoff

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »

You probably get a bit bored with some of this "old" stuff, but doing a bit of browsing I came across this little snippet.
I'm sorry that "print" doesn't come out too well as a photo, but it's not all that bad when enlarged!

pugwash

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

Bryan I have just found this article from Flight International (1984) - It relates to our discussion about the suitability or otherwise
of the Arapaho Flight system in RFA Reliant.  Thought it might interest you.

Geoff

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1984/1984%20-%200364.html

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 06:53:55 pm »

Geoff, why don't you just post it on here? It isn't my personal thread you know. Anyone can join in and contribute/argue etc. I always thought that was the idea of a "Forum"! Regards. Bryan.

pugwash

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:39:04 pm »

Bryan, I would have done but I havent a clue how to put the complete article onto the forum - only know how to bring up the link.
Perhaps you could tell me how when I see you tomorrow.

Geoff

truman06

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:20 am »

Darth Vader?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.