Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesro Javelin  (Read 10603 times)

bbdave

Lesro Javelin
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:42:47 pm »

Hi well i have decided to build the Javelin a model i've always wanted to own since seeing it in the magazines in the 80s. I am going electric with most probably brushless will probably stick with the standard prop shaft and rudder set up for ease and simplicity.

So i got out the kit and started cleaning up parts and building on friday evening

Dave

gwa84

Re: Lesro Javelin
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:37:59 pm »

nice ive always wanted to build one looking forewords to the rest of the build  :-))

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:28:49 pm »

I hope you have more success putting this Lesro kit together than i did with their Sun Tug. I struggled for ages with it as the instructions were so vauge and unclear, let alone non descript parts with no numbers or even wrong shape to picture images.

best of luck anyway with your build.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

bbdave

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »

I hope you have more success putting this Lesro kit together than i did with their Sun Tug. I struggled for ages with it as the instructions were so vauge and unclear, let alone non descript parts with no numbers or even wrong shape to picture images.

best of luck anyway with your build.

No problems so far it is fairly simple construction i wouldn't recomend it for an absolute beginner as insructions need some interpritation but i have seen much worse in kits the Robbe U47 for example. but we'll see as construction proceeds

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »

I've also wanted to build a Javelin (.... along with about 20 other models!)

This is gonna be good Dave!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bbdave

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »

Did a little more today sanded and faired gunwales and chine stringers while i could get outside, then started to sheet the bottom

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:37 pm »

The quality of the wood seems quite good, what are your overall impressions of the kit, design, plans, instructions, value for money etc?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

phillnjack

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 01:32:43 am »

I was suprised recently see the javelin kit still going around.

But also got a big shock when i saw the prices of some of them.

They used to be a cheap kit, but not any more   

i used to look at the pilot kit from lesro as well.

phill

bbdave

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:18 pm »

The quality of the wood seems quite good, what are your overall impressions of the kit, design, plans, instructions, value for money etc?

Martin

I bought the kit last year i didn't pay the £100+ they are asking now but as all kits like this it is alot for a box of wood. The wood is all good and the ply is excellent all the frames are true they need the slots etc opening up but nothing taxing. The plans are full size and are clear printed on decent paper to. Construction is basicly the same as the Swordsman build.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the brushed motor option as i have been looking at the brushless motors but that is a total mine field and a very expensive mistake can be made. I understand the Kv ratings but you can have two motors of 1500Kv one the size of a thimble the other a bean tin so they obviously have different power outputs thats the bit i can't fathom what kind of power output is needed so brushed it is for now.

Dave

bbdave

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »

Got the hull sheeted this weekend just needs trimming sanding etc before fitting spray rails etc. then hopefully all the hardware will be here to fit.

Dave

bbdave

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:40:47 pm »

I have started sanding and filling while waiting for hardware to arrive. I received a prop shaft today but the internal shaft is'nt the greatest the end thread is off centre so it'll vibrate like mad when running.

waiting for an email reply to try and get an exchange funny how much slower people are when there's a problem but it's holding the build up at the moment.

Dave

bbdave

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »

I've been busy getting the deck on the hardware installed and plenty of sanding and filling still to do

Motor cooling gear etc.

Prop shaft tube installed

Starting the motor mount

Javelin so far  now to apply the spray rails before more filling and sanding then a few coats of varnish before thinking about colour scheme.

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:47:54 am »

Looking Good!   :-))

bbdave

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:01 pm »

I have now fitted the spray rails and begun to fill and sand just hatches to make and thats the bulk of the build done it's all been easy and straight forward so far.

Dave

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:26 am »

thats taking shape very well , what are you going to power it with , electric or glow ?

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 11:56:12 am »

see the first post.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »

sorry i didnt start at top of page ! fellow club member had one of these back in the 1990s until i modded it for him with my super tigre powered demon !

bbdave

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:22 pm »

Today i put the first couple of thinned coats of varnish on waiting till thats dry before sanding right back then a couple of full coats rubbing down in between before a spray of undercoat to help see any imperfections then more filling if needed.

Dave

bbdave

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:41 pm »

First few coats of undercoat this evening on the hull bottom

Dave

bbdave

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »

Final spray today not sure i'm totaly happy with the finish but there's always laquer i'm not after a high gloss but an even coat the sray looks a tad patchy at the moment of gloss and matt but i guess thats down to prep.

Hull and rudder

bbdave

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »

I have now done the hatches and front windscreen fairing the hatches have been covered with plasticard as the wood supplied wasn't big enough to cover and provide a big enough lip around the edge.

I am still not happy with the paint finish on the hull but i guess after a few uses it will not notice i'm pondering if to brush paint all the topsides to see if i get a better finish.

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:30 pm »

Looking real good!    :-))

gwa84

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 07:13:28 pm »

liking haw it looks so far  :-))

bbdave

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 08:16:22 pm »

Just a few pics of the painting underway which was finished in May but i havn't got round to putting them on the pc

Dave

nick_75au

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 11:10:59 pm »

At the moment i'm leaning towards the brushed motor option as i have been looking at the brushless motors but that is a total mine field and a very expensive mistake can be made. I understand the Kv ratings but you can have two motors of 1500Kv one the size of a thimble the other a bean tin so they obviously have different power outputs thats the bit i can't fathom what kind of power output is needed so brushed it is for now.

Dave

Wish I had of seen this earlier {:-{  Bit late now but a speed 700 is about 150 watts output power, just need a brush-less with the same or more watts and job done, It will be a lot smaller than the brushed motor.

Cheers
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.