Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build The Endeavour  (Read 9175 times)

Testsubjec

Build The Endeavour
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:26 pm »

Hi Everyone,

One afternoon as I was working on the Fairy Swordsman and I saw an advert on the Discovery Channel about Building the Endeavour. After being totally engrossed, I popped onto the Internet and had a look at their web site http://www.build-endeavour.com/. 10 – 15 minutes later I had placed my subscription and was eagerly awaiting for the Post Man.

A few weeks past and after a couple of phone calls to Eaglemoss Publications I finally started to receive my subscription.

Subscription Breakdown:

1st Issue - £1.99
2 – 100 £5.99

Total Cost: £595 (No one can put a price on enjoyment – Well that’s what I told the misses).

If you subscribe online you receive a Magazine Binder (sadly I am still waiting for), a A4 Vinyl Work Mat (very useful if you haven’t your own), a Plank Bender (I miss understood and tried to use it as a cutter – which you will find out later why), a Ship Work Base (still haven’t received as of yet) and finally a very nice Personalised Wooden Plate.

Anyway, here we go with Part 1......

Testsubjec

Re: Build The Endeavour
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:30:42 pm »

The long purple nail file didn't come with the issue. (My wife kindly donated it to the project after she left it on the table).  :-))

There was one mistake which I made when cutting the planks to size and this was trying to cut more than two pieces at anyone time and I ended up splitting the wood.  >:-o

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »

Good luck with the build, lets just hope they don;t cancel your subscription half way through which happens a lot, with theses company's.

witherswilliam

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:23 pm »

Have fun I don't think my missus would agree if I spent that much on enjoyment she would want a lot more.

plugger

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:39:48 am »

There are a number of people building this model on Model Ship World - www.modelshipworld.com  Check out the forum for their builds.

Plugger

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:56 am »

I have bought a couple from there
I have the
Cutty Sark, Victory, Arab Drow and titanic longboat

I know they work out more expensive in the long run but it keeps the wife happy this way
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Testsubjec

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:42:46 pm »

Here goes with Part 2...

Testsubjec

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:20 pm »

Apologies for the poor photo quality as these are taken with my phone until I can dig out where my DSLR went too.

I have found so far while building this to be very straight forward with the instructions provided in the magazine. Planking is something which I haven’t done and after reading Martin’s build log for the Bismark I picked up some tips which should hopefully help me further through this build.

One point which I would advise anyone who builds this model is not to bother with the glue they provide. It seems to be very watery and doesn’t offer a good bond between the pieces of wood. I was very lucky and managed to pick up a litre sized bottle of Evo Stick Waterproof PVA Wood Glue for £5 from eBay, so I have been using this.

Also another point to mention is that they advise you use a wood contact adhesive when planking, I have found that spreading some PVA Glue on the back of the planks, leaving it for half a minute or so and then laying the planks works just as well.

Hopefully depending what time I get home tonight from work I should have got Part 3 completed....

brianB6

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

Just so you know what you have let yourselves in for:-
Young Endeavour was in Melbourne last month for the opening of 'Seaworks' in Williamstown.

brianB6

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:33 pm »

Bow view
Whoops, the image posted twice somehow and I am not sure how to delete one!

farrow

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »

How about this one about 2006, leaving eastern Solent.

martinfbrown

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 08:38:40 pm »

I have subscribed to this build. Just received issues 6 and 7.
Martin

Testsubjec

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »

Just in case you were all wondering why I haven't posted any more of the build. The reason being is Part 3 has got a couple of pieces missing and I cannot progress any further until I have them.  <:(

Testsubjec

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 02:39:51 pm »

Finally received the parts yesterday!!

Here we go with Part 3....

I am alittle worried about the small gap at the bottom even though everything is seated correctly. Will have to wait and see how everything else comes together.

plugger

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:44:24 am »

I am alittle worried about the small gap at the bottom even though everything is seated correctly. Will have to wait and see how everything else comes together.

[/quote]

I dont think the gap will be a problem at all. You will be putting two layers of planking plus a keel over it. I would be more concerned with the join in the false keel, as any misalignment will result in a twisted hull.

Testsubjec

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 10:19:23 am »

Should be interesting when I get to that stage. :-)

martinfbrown

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »

At present, I am up to issue 11. If someone can explain how to put photos onto the forum, I will post some of my build so far.
Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.