Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pass the butter please..........  (Read 5301 times)

pugwash

Re: Pass the butter please..........
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 11:37:09 am »

I dont think you can be sacked from the position of wife and mother even if you are an ex-naval officer.

Geoff

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 11:44:16 am »

Gentlemen, I am glad we have stopped being 'offended' at each other. It is a deep-rooted disease of current political debate. Everyone who does not root their argument in strict logical pre-defined terms with lashings of support data offends me, and all the ghosts of renaissance thinking, way back to the classical philosophers, but I don't go on about it.....

Now:

"..D.G. I don't think SWMBO would argree with your witless answer..."

"..DG must be right Geoff, after all he does know everything about everthing..."

I have never claimed that I am always right, but I do try to think about my comments, and always try to provide appropriate supporting evidence...

"..Im surprised D.G. that you didn't quote this  website to support your argument as everything on the internet is "true"."

Hmm... I checked your proposal on PubMedCentral. It has no cites. Professor Ioannidis' paper, on the other hand, with 90 odd cites, is the most downloaded technical paper from PLoS Medicine. Goodman and Greenland's criticisims of it have been satisfactorly answered here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1896210/ . So, on the whole, I think that the Ioannidis paper is more appropriate for my purposes.

I also have difficulty understanding sarcasm.....

"PMK you don't have to go Texas - there are plenty here and they are costing the NHS a fortune in treatment.  If the trend to obesity continues there is the possibility that treatment for obesity will be the single biggest drain on the budget."

Hmm.. trends are difficult things to discuss at the best of times. However, the item below may be of interest:

"...According to the lastest results from the Health Survey for England, regarded as the best source of information on the topic, obesity rates have fallen. Yet you could have been forgiven for failing to notice: it’s barely been reported. After all the sensationalist headlines over the past few years about an ‘obesity timebomb’, would it be too much to expect some balanced reporting over the fact that the aforementioned explosive might not be going off after all?

The latest figures, published last Thursday (17 Dec 2010), show that in 2009, 22.1 per cent of men were obese compared to 24.1 per cent in 2008 and 23.7 per cent in 2006, the year before that Foresight report was published. For women, the new figure was 23.9 per cent as against 24.9 per cent in 2008 and 24.2 per cent in 2006.

But what about the future? Perhaps our children are still getting fatter? Although the UK uses a rather broader definition of ‘child obesity’ than is standard internationally, the rates for this seem to be heading downwards, too. In 2004, 19.4 per cent of boys aged two to 15 were regarded as obese; in 2009, that figure was down to 16.1 per cent. The equivalent figures for girls were 18.5 per cent (2004) and 15.3 per cent (2009)..."

Rob Lyons - Spiked

I often wonder why people are content to believe data which is provided for them by interested parties such as drug companies, politicians, journalists and other snake-oil salesmen, rather than going to the basic information which is often quite readily available.

ACTion

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 01:13:31 pm »

I would no more consult a model boat forum for dietary advice than I would a medical website for the modus operandii of electronic speed controllers. Audie - what were  you thinking of?

I take statins because they were prescribed by my GP when my BP was 180/120; it's consistently now below 120/85.....works for me................

We have olive oil 'spread' in the fridge primarily because it spreads easier than butter. It doesn't taste of plastic and I don't really give a monkey's what they put in it - it's OK on toast. If I were to stop eating/drinking/doing everything which was supposed to shorten my life then I doubt if I would actually live any longer, but it would sure as hell feel like it! I gained my Boy Scouts' Smug badge when I packed in the dreaded weed. Short of taking Holy Orders that'll do me.

Bob - at 70+ years old and BP of 212/112 you are officially on the point of death, so can I have your riverboat, please?

Pugwash - public servants are fair game for folk who can't think of anyone else to blame for their personal misfortunes or their drab, miserable lives - despite the fact that nothing prevented them  from joining. Your missus must know that by now. The rest of us just ignore the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph - and Circlip.

DG - you really ought to get out more. Could I suggest sailing model boats?

As for Texans, I was once married to one and there is far more cause for concern in that (red)neck of the woods than any weight issue.

Lighten up, chaps - or watch the TV images of Japan right now and then tell yourself that margarine still matters.

DM

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 01:45:47 pm »

Sorry to disappoint Mr Action man have just taken the bp and thanks to the latest pills it was reading 154/85 so it seems I nearly made it to the gates and turned back ,however if you can hang on until I next go to a filling station to fill up the car you could be in luck , I am sorry if this is somewhat of topic but one must reply to people If only to let them know I am still kicking
                                                  Cheers All (Keep taking the pills)
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »

The rest of us just ignore the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph - and Circlip

Good to note I'm regarded in such illustrious company :-))

And if that's the general consensus of my postings, then I'll not give any more - - -  Oh, that doesn't work, heard that too many times before.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »

DG - you really ought to get out more. Could I suggest sailing model boats?

Funny, that's what my wife, my family, my doctor and the vicar say.  O0 O0

But my psychiatrist, the local police and a deputation from the neighbourhood watch all insisted that I remain here... %% %% %%

ACTion

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 06:50:31 pm »

Good to note I'm regarded in such illustrious company :-))
You're third...............

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:38 pm »

Funny, that's what my wife, my family, my doctor and the vicar say.  O0 O0

But my psychiatrist, the local police and a deputation from the neighbourhood watch all insisted that I remain here... %% %% %%
Like it..

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 10:55:38 pm »

I am now confused about whether to eat Margarine and if I should use it as a plastic substitute.

{-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-))

Well done to all

ACTion

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »

I am now confused about whether to eat Margarine and if I should use it as a plastic substitute.
Do both.
Report back.
DM

john44

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04:20 am »

You're third...............

No sorry action youre wrong, he,s last, there was now one else after him. {-) {-) {-)

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:37 am »

Do both.
Report back.
DM
Report.

1. Ugh the margarine tasted awful will 'stick' with butter as 'butter is better' says so on the label so must be true.

2. Waiting for margarine to set after using it as plastic filler will report back when set.
 O0 %) O0 %) O0 %) O0 %)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.