Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Oxfordshire  (Read 5563 times)

Grub

Hello from Oxfordshire
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:38 am »

Just as it say's, hello :}. I'm looking to start scratch building with my boy and stumbled in here, I'm from Oxford where Dad had a boat hire and building business but being a kid I was more interested in planes than boats %). I've built pretty much the entire range of Airfix 1:72 aircraft kits I should think along with all the 1:24 and their rigged ships kits {-), however as a 15 year old I had to produce some practical for my Science and Technology 'O'level and whilst in Howes models in Oxford, spotted a magazine with free plans so I built it http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16685/scamp-mm1301  :}. Now I'm looking to build it again with young Jack (plans are ordered {-)), and then I'm after broadening my horizons with something a little more challenging, any suggestions gratefully received   O0

Big Ada

Re: Hello from Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »

Welcome Grub and son,
The Worlds your lobster as far as choice of next model, the lad may like to look at some of the Springer Tugs that we have made from a one design hull.

Regards,

Len. :-))

Grub

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:00:13 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Len, Jack wants to get Scamp out the way as quickly as possible so he can make the 'Orca' from Jaws %), to go with the remote controlled Shark I've got to buy him {-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »

Hi
I am just down the road in Abingdon. There are a few people on here from Oxfordshire.
There is a good boat club in Oxford.

John

Grub

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15:28 pm »

Hi John, took the boy down to Hinksey today to sail the small electric boat we built in half-term :D, 2 hours to build and a weeks worth of waiting for the paint to dry nearly killed him but it was worth it {-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QAng1UYJ-I

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »

No radio gear then ? {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Grub

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:09 am »

No Dicky, give the boy a break he's only 9 {-), it was just a quick job to occupy him in half-term as he was getting a bit stir crazy. I didn't think it went too badly really for £2-30 worth of balsa :},the grin on his face was priceless once he'd set it right a few times.

CF-FZG

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »

Hi
I am just down the road in Abingdon. There are a few people on here from Oxfordshire.
There is a good boat club in Oxford.

Hehe, so am I :-))

The club in Oxford looks interesting, anything else near Abingdon?

I used to sail full size up at Farmoor, but I don't know if they allow models on the water {:-{

Mark

Grub

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »

Hi Mark, the Oxford club have a scale sail tomorrow at Hinksey park so it could be worth going to have a look if the weathers good; Jack and I will be there if it's not raining to see whats sailing {-)

CF-FZG

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 04:24:45 pm »

Thanks Grub,

Hope to see you there, weather permitting :-))

Mark

CF-FZG

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:57:35 pm »

Thanks Grub,

Hope to see you there, weather permitting :-))

Hmmm, guess who forgot it's mother's day :embarrassed:  we didn't get down there until after 3pm, and everyone had gone home.

Mark

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:37:51 am »

No Dicky, give the boy a break he's only 9 {-), it was just a quick job to occupy him in half-term as he was getting a bit stir crazy. I didn't think it went too badly really for £2-30 worth of balsa :},the grin on his face was priceless once he'd set it right a few times.

He might find this site of interest... http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/

Grub

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:23 am »

Hmmm, guess who forgot it's mother's day :embarrassed:  we didn't get down there until after 3pm, and everyone had gone home.

Mark
Us too {-), got there about 1

Grub

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:23 pm »

Another half-term Dicky so another boat {-), took your advice this time :-)) http://www.youtube.com/user/abigailjanee?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/ZjGsFQ6ybP0
  H.M.S. Apocalypse {-)

He might find this site of interest... http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/
Thanks Dodgy, sorry about the late reply I managed to miss this :embarrassed:

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »

Thanks Dodgy, sorry about the late reply I managed to miss this...

No worries - the point of these plans is that a kid ought to be able to make them all on their own - getting the experience and pride that comes from being entirely responsible for your own work....

Grub

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »

No worries - the point of these plans is that a kid ought to be able to make them all on their own - getting the experience and pride that comes from being entirely responsible for your own work....
He does quite well with the cutting and sticking, a big problem is he can't cut across the grain as his hands aren't strong enough and dad has to do it %), his biggest problem though is a lack of patience {-)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:43 am »

...a big problem is he can't cut across the grain as his hands aren't strong enough ....

The original EeZeBilt Kits were die-cut, so it would be 'permissible' ( %) ) to cut out the parts for him and present them as a kit.

If you do that you should find a boat going together in an afternoon (and very cheaply as well). I suspect the only tools needed would be glue, pins and a bit of sandpaper....

Jack.H

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:13 pm »

Thanks dodgy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.