Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairy Fantome fuel tank size  (Read 7135 times)

lifeboatpaul

Fairy Fantome fuel tank size
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:46:43 pm »

Hi ,
I have acquired a fibre glass fairy fantome (48") for 16 quid on eBay! (to say it needs a lit of TLC is an understatement)
 I have a Irvine 61 to go in it ,and intend joining OMRA and using it in the B class at Weymouth , what size tank would I need , from my spectating of this event each year each race seems to be 30 Min's long and most boats need refueling once thoughout the race ,so does anyone know what size tank I should fit ?

Regards the virgin IC boater-Paul.

phillnjack

Re: Fairy Fantome fuel tank size
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:19:11 am »

I used to own a fairey fantome, nice models they are.
Your right that one was very cheap, i saw it on ebay.

now the Irvine 61 is a very good engine and not to bad on fuel, ive got 2 of them sitting in my box of stuff just waiting for a project.

As for fuel tank size, i reckon youl be needing about 1litre  if your going to be running flat out for 30 mins in the sea.
A lot will depend on how heavy your going to build the boat, and what prop and set up.
If your going to use submerged drive then the best props ive found for the irvine has been these
Alloy 1924...Bronze 4714E........ and for practise the black grp  shg props  X45and X50.

The irvines kick out almost 1.7bhp and the fantome will suit this well, as its very capable of power.
It is a quicker boat than the huntsman , but cannot take the waves as good due to a more rounded front part of the hull .
But ive seen a few on the sea and mine ran well on very rough water,but try to make the cockpit level with the sides of the
superstructure for rough weather, as it tends to fill with water and slow you down when iot gets realy rough  ha ha

That boat will clean up and look good once again, im sure

please post pics of the restoration

phill

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:13:50 am »

its a shame when they moulded the fantome superstructure the made the cockpit screen moulding to large , but the cockpit was too small ! the one i had i corrected the mistakes , but then i rebuilt it as an electric scale model and screwed the cabin section to the deck ( not possible for a glow powered model i know ) , nothing to stop you fitting a drain in the cockpit corners ? i have some detail photos taken at last years classic powerboat meet @ cowes should you want copies of them ?

phillnjack

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:37:09 pm »

The Fantome at the top of this page is the MK 2 from mfa, white hull light blue deck and superstructure.

The first Fantome i had was a mk1 very early white superstructure.
it came in 4 pieces, and was very different in the cockpit area to the second one i had that was a blue one piece superstructure.
The original hulls were also different, they came split down the middle with deck already on each half.
On the top of the hull it had round lip, unlike the blue one that went together shoe box fashion.

phill

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:56:45 pm »

Keep at it Paul.
I have found the flexi drive line if you need it which could be made to fit the boat. As I said last Sunday the angle was set up for the Fox petrol engine and needs lowering some what. I think when that boat was mine and i fitted it with the SC61 i had a one liter tank in it. Hobby store (the old red barron shop) on the Hertford rd sells them if I recall about £10/ £15 for a tank.  Even cheaper would be to get an old 1 liter tin/can used for oil ,paint, etc and make it yourself. I do have a contact for a chap in Huntingdon who will make you a tank to your size in ally for around £40/£50.
The normal race times for BMPRS / OMRA are 20 30 40 min max so 1 liter will do you just fine.
Cheers for now.
Bill.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »

Hi Phil, Bill

Thanks for the info ,  phil I was also told that a 20/26 prop would do ?- Bill it will speak to you regarding the flexidrive :-))

I also scoped another bargain on Ebay last week (I think ??) a CMB 67  for £56.00 ! fresh out of a boat in working order - do you think the Fantome can handle this - I suppose I don't have to have it at full throttle !!

Paul.

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:17:33 pm »

Hi one more question,
Do you consider the standard brass MFA type rudder to be adequate ??
Paul.

phillnjack

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:49:52 pm »

the fantome can handle the cmb no problem, ive seen them fitted with 2 x cmb 90 and it ran very well and very fast.

The standard brass rudder is no goos at all, far too weak, you realy need a nice big stainless one, buy a good strong one and
it will last a lifetime.
I got mine from Rod up at telford years ago, but im sure there is a few good ones still around elsewhere.

Fantomes are good boats, tons of room inside and so good for ease of access to everything inside.
Just make sure the top is held on properly, they realy do sink very fast, and expensive to replace.

It will be worth doing, and youl have a real nice offshore stand off scale powerboat.

phill :-)

ids987

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »

My own personal opinion would be to stick with the Irvine - especially if you intend to do OMRA / BMPRS style racing. Two main reasons:

1) If you put a CMB 67 in it, and get the CMB performing as it should, I believe that you will have difficulty controlling it amongst other boats - on a course with tight turns, especially on rough water.

2) If you get a CMB 67 running in its power band, you will need something like (probably at least), 3L of fuel for a 1/2 hour race. Ballpark tank sizes for CMBs are around 1.5L for a .21, 2.5L for a .45, and about a gallon for a .90. My own CMB .45 won't do 1/2 Hour with 2L. I think that accommodating that much fuel in a Fantome will be difficult, and the size of the fuel tank(s) will end up determining the layout of the other components. Whereas, as mentioned earlier, you should be able to squeeze 1/2 hour out of 1L with the Irvine.

Realistically, a Fantome is unlikely to be one of the fastest "B" class boats around the course. That doesn't mean that you can't race it, or that you shouldn't race it. It just means that you need to focus on reliability, and keeping it on the water. A reasonable pace, with a non-stop run, will get much better results / placing, than a very fast boat with lots of stops.
One other thought, not sure where the prop is / was on that boat, but in keeping with the full sized versions, the model Faireys often have the prop very close to the rudder. This is not really good for handling, the prop blast acts on the rudder, and tends to cause nasties. If you are rejigging the shaft anyway, and if it is practical (within the confines of where the engine needs to go, and a sensible shaft angle), I would try to get somewhere around 3" between prop and rudder.

Just my 2p worth............

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:43:52 pm »

Thanks of the advice IDS987 it will save me a lot of problems later -and a lot of fuel/money if I stick with the irvine.

Paul.

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »

Hope you are going to paint it in Orange and Blue Paul cant let the side down mate :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) %% %% %%

Phil.

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »

normally white and blue , would certainly look different with an orange cabin !

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:26:00 pm »

Hope you are going to paint it in Orange and Blue Paul cant let the side down mate :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) %% %% %%

Phil.

I think what Phil's referring to is that I normally build lifeboats  %%

Paul.

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 07:32:57 am »

Started fitting the motor in the boat I thought it would be a good idea to mount the motor on some foam to reduce the vibrations securely held in place with some cable ties , also had the good idea of strapping the fuel tank to the engine to warm the fuel and get more power from it –great idea hey!

I was told I needed to make sure the radio gear was watertight so I have wrapped it in some plastic sandwich bags and tied them up to keep the water out , had another good idea on buoyancy , instead of all that heavy expanding foam , I’ve fitted a balloon in the bow ,its very light and buoyant.

Almost ready for the pond now

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:22:09 am »

Not wishing to put your nose out or be mean but you got to be kidding..... It's a bit early for an April fool. Where to start????

1. The motor needs to firmly attached to the hull with a proper mounting similar to this http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/wcncmutpe4.jpg. This is mounted between rails glassed into the hull.
2. The radio needs to be mounted in a waterproof box similar to this http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/radioboxes.htm
You can make your own of the above two but the principle is the same.
3. The tuned pipe is mounted back to front and you will need a proper manifold to get it connected.
4. If you want to do anything to the fuel it should be cooled.
5. Flotation, use foam pipe lagging, lightweight and won't burst

Seriously have a look around the forum and see how things are placed, mounted, fastened and waterproofed in offshore and racing type hulls. With some time and effort you could have a nice boat to have fun with. As is, it is only going to cause you frustration and problems.

triumphjon

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:56:24 am »

this has got to be an early april fools day prank ? if that engine were to stay put while its started , the heat willl melt the foam and the cable ties within seconds !

andyn

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:24 am »

{-) I like it
 :-))

omra85

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 01:05:59 pm »

This is a definite winner!  A credit to your building skills!  We can only watch with envy!

Btw British Summer Time is when the clocks go forward one HOUR - not one DAY...

{-) {-) {-)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »

Started fitting the motor in the boat I thought it would be a good idea to mount the motor on some foam to reduce the vibrations securely held in place with some cable ties , also had the good idea of strapping the fuel tank to the engine to warm the fuel and get more power from it –great idea hey!

I was told I needed to make sure the radio gear was watertight so I have wrapped it in some plastic sandwich bags and tied them up to keep the water out , had another good idea on buoyancy , instead of all that heavy expanding foam , I’ve fitted a balloon in the bow ,its very light and buoyant.

Almost ready for the pond now

Wot can I say Paul????
should go nicely for all of 2 seconds mate.

Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 05:26:42 pm »

AHH! thats better, I just need to get a calender so I don't get my dates mixed up next year :embarrassed:

Nearly finished now just need to get a mainfold for the Irvine 61 , but haven't had much luck in finding one yet.

Regards ,Paul the April fool

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »

Hum!
Its starting to look like you will be over to SMBC for a test run soon then Paul :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 06:33:41 pm »

that looks better , although the motor mounting angle plates are upside down !

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:41 am »

Glad you took the earlier advice :}   :} :}  I looked, I looked again, checked the date and thought it would be wise to be diplomatic.
Believe it or not I have seen similar (never quite that bad) but serious attempts that have not been that far from your original pictures.......

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 01:38:47 pm »

Can any one tell me the starting point for the lenght of the tunned pipe I seem to remember that the 61 engine should be 13" measured from the centre of the piston to the baffle - haven't cut the manifold pipe down yet but seems a bit short to me , any advice anyone ??

Paul.

triumphjon

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 02:10:50 pm »

if my memory is correct you measure from the centre of the glow plug to the top of the taper on the pipe , unfortunatly i cant remember the length required , try dave at prestwich models he should know !  its been quite a while since ive had the plesure of owning a glow powered boat , all of my current models are either electric of wind propelled ! jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.