Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fibre Glass Hull  (Read 4196 times)

Mr Andy

Fibre Glass Hull
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »

Sorry if I'm covering old ground, but I'm building a hull based loosely on the Springer, however the front has been steamed allowing for a point. My question after the initial tidy up of said hull, how can I use it to make a fibre glass plug? And how do I ensure that the fibre glass comes away from the wood. Because our club is lacking in younger members I was thinking selling a fibre glass hull, might encourage people to join.

Thanks in advance,

Andy.  :-)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fibre Glass Hull
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »

Why not keep to the standard Springer and introduce the youngsters to the worldwide brotherhood ?  I think the glass route if you don`t know it could be difficult for you and a bit messy, expensive etc , all the things you don`t want your target audience to experience.  Are they too young for woodwork ?
..well can you land on this?

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »

The hull you have produced will be the plug.
It's not a difficult task but it is messy and can be expensive. (be sure to use a face mask and cover up well the glass strange makes you itch for weeks, and you don't want the partials on your lungs!)

Check out Neils life boat build, hes built the mould from scratch using a'plug' its probably best to see how its done rather then trying to explain it.

http://www.radiocontrolmodelboats.com/t721-clyde-class-70-lifeboat-build

You will needs to get the plug to the finished state as any imperfections will show up on your mould and all mouldings there after. You will need to purchase a ton of release agent and use several coats (3 or 4) typically ont he plug to help it releases after the mould have been created, you will want a lot of resin/harderner, glass fiber strand matting, and gel coat.

Not to be a downer but casting a springer in GRP is going to cost far more then using ply, not to put you off haveing a go, but concider the cost you can buy a GRP springer hull for £20 from here http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/model_boats.aspx (24th listing from the bottom)

Or you can just make from ply and seal it, once sealed and painted will take far more damage then a GPR hull which has a tendency to crack after a few knocks.
 :-))

Mr Andy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »

Thank you you've put me off  {-) I'll just keep to wood I think though. My friend is involved in a model club, so I  just thinking of incorpoating the model club in the boat club maybe. As  for the standard Springer, it would be far easier to build the one I'm doing now has caused a few splinter's, and trust me when I say, that has just been from scratching my head. :}
Thank's gentlemen, one for another day maybe.

Andy.  ok2

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »

talk to models by design he has a fibreglass springer out and very cheap

steve

Mr Andy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »

Not looking to buy Steve, I was just thinking of trying something different, and wondering how much was involved. As I said maybe at a later date I might have a go, and of course with this one I'm making with a pointy bow will she sail OK I wonder.  {:-{ {:-{

Andy.  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.