The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

Lugger to Lorcha

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jimmy James:

Jimmy James:
Rob our Club Sec has come through with his magic camara
   Pictures of Wolfshead sailing on the club lake

this is still a trials rig  and I have 1 or 2 things to iron out before I make the finished suit of sails

the wind is only aprox 09 to 10 kts

Jimmy James:

All for know again thanks to Rob for the brilliant photos
   Freebooter :-))

Jimmy James:
You can see how close winded she is and how easy she is to ware and tack these pictures were taken in less than 10 Min's in 3 passes
  control is 3 channel #1 maim and jib, #2 Mizzen , #3 Rudder
Freebooter

Jimmy James:
To answer the question --Yes the masts are taller than the Chinese Junk 's would be ---First she represents my version of a John Company Bombay Anti Piracy Cruiser this means she has to be fast...So shes over rigged  ,,Remember shes a Lorcha not a Junk...I was once told Chinese Junks are evolved from the Bamboo raft while European Vessels have evolved from the Dugout canoe ...the Lorcha is a Hi-bread with a European Hull And a  Junk rig and while they have the same no# crew as a European trader because she needs less men to work the ship that means she has more to Fight the ship which would come as an unpleasant suprise to any pirate who came near to her.
also she's much more heavely armed than any Trader with 8 x18 pounder caronades and a long 9  ( mounted on a training circle0
 Freebooter 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version