Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dean Marines S.M.S Komet  (Read 29159 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dean Marines S.M.S Komet
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 09:35:17 pm »

''What on earth are you talking about with regards to cast metal rudder linkage??? These are clearly dinghy davits''

Please reply without quoting huge posts please.   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »

''What on earth are you talking about with regards to cast metal rudder linkage??? These are clearly dinghy davits''

Uh Oh................look out..............................INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C

wartsilaone

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »

I did have a little look at what this was on about. I couldn't find it. Not that bothered really. Just know it's a good model.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 10:05:45 pm »

Hi Ali - yes, coming along nicely....RR is doing a grand job.

I think the post I was on about was a little confused with the pictures.......got his davits and pivots mixed up...
C

Roadrunner

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »

Na i didn't, I said the description above each photo, although i did forget the name of the Davits and called them life boat arm's but hey can't get it right all the time!

Just to clear up post 50 i asked martin to edit the post as it was a quote of the photo section which took up so much space for such a tiny comment written. normally i don;t have an issues with quotes with photo's but for a 1 line comment just a waste of space in the log it makes it look so untidy.

Moderated.   :kiss:

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »

Not you RR - was refering to Voyager..... {-) {-)
C

Roadrunner

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:43 pm »

lol
 thanks bud :-)) must be my age playing up now!

Roadrunner

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2011, 10:49:05 pm »

Well i have to share the joke... I asked for the post to be removed and edited.. but Martin thought it prudent to then PM me the post instead to trash my mail box! Martin you crack me up!  %%

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2011, 10:50:48 pm »

Sounds like you are having a night of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2011, 02:20:39 am »

RR,

It's OK, for us who are down under, the photo description were in the right place appreciate the thought keep at it.
 :-)) :-)) :-)) %) %) %) {-) {-) {-)

Roadrunner

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »

Ądn ʎɐʍ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɥʇ ƃuıǝq dlǝɥ llıʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ ʎllnɟǝdoɥ `ʇxǝʇ ʎɯ pɐǝɹ oʇ ǝlqɐ ƃuıǝq ʇou ɥʇnos dǝǝp ǝɥʇ ı sʎnƃ noʎ ʇnoqɐ pǝıɹɹoʍ sɐʍ ı ɹǝuunƃʎʇɹɐɐɐɹ sʞuɐɥʇ

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »

Ądn ʎɐʍ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɥʇ ƃuıǝq dlǝɥ llıʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ ʎllnɟǝdoɥ `ʇxǝʇ ʎɯ pɐǝɹ oʇ ǝlqɐ ƃuıǝq ʇou ɥʇnos dǝǝp ǝɥʇ ı sʎnƃ noʎ ʇnoqɐ pǝıɹɹoʍ sɐʍ ı ɹǝuunƃʎʇɹɐɐɐɹ sʞuɐɥʇ

O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) %% %% %%

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »

My view on my titchy iPod was somewhat distorted, so hence why I edited it once I realised my error!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:25 pm »

Na i didn't, I said the description above each photo, poor voyager in his age has mis read my post, Although i did forget the name of the Davits and called them life boat arm's but hey can't get it right all the time!

Just to clear up post 50 i asked martin to edit the post as it was a quote of the photo section which took up so much space for such a tiny comment written. normally i don;t have an issues with quotes with photo's but for a 1 line comment just a waste of space in the log it makes it look so untidy.

That's an age discriminating comment for which you need to apologise!!!!!

Roadrunner

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »

That's an age discriminating comment for which you need to apologise!!!!!

lol don't hold ya breath for it   %%

Ok guys I've put the build on hold for a few weeks while i wait for some parts to arrive, being some clear casting resin for the port hole's, the deck planking materials, and quite a few items for the rigging lines, blocks, pullys, turn buckles etc. ( which i'm having custom made for this by a friend)

Im at the point on the hull where i have to finish sticking on the remaining port holes, finish the cargo winches and clean up the hull with the dremel to high light some of the detail within the model such as the hull mouldings (which are ornate) Really until i get the parts i need, not a lot else i can do, so taking a break from the annoyance of it and going to continue with my tug as that project has seen 8 months of neglect and its supposed to be for the 2012 towing comps  :((

I will update with a few odds and ends between now and re-starting. I hope not to keep you guys to long on the waiting time but keep watch, as once those parts arrive all hell is going to break loose!

Dave13

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »

Hi Roadrunner
looking very nice I really like you switch idea and anchor winch! :-) :-)
Thanks Dave:)

Roadrunner

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »

Thanks Dave much appreciated on the positive comments, I have to build this model baring in mind that the Owner of it is in his 70's and his hands are not what they used to be, ( why im building it in the first place) i want to keep the model as practical as possible with out loosing details that should be there, the front hatch containing the switch's is one of those modifications, the rear hatch i made up as a plug which cover's the rudder servo, and the rudder linkage can be adjusted by another plug which is actually the rudder wheel housing .

There are two central 'stair wells' that sit under the shelter deck which i will make one have a hinged door which will house the charging area so the battery should rarely have to be removed.

There is so much detail within the model regarding Stansion rails ( all 320 of them) the rigging for the masts ( one mast is fitted to the life boat deck not the main deck) it would take 20- 30 mins to de-rig the model just to remove the superstructure to do a job on the inside, my thinking has always been to reduce the superstructure being removed for mediocre jobs that can be avoided to avoid or reduce any damage that can occur.

I mean once the model is out of my hands i really have no say or choice on how its treated (although the owner is a fine scale modeller so understands the concerns of detail model damage) but i would like to think i have done enough to ensure the model stays in a top condition for quite a period of years with very little damage occurring through being 'man handled'

Obviously the model being struck by another boat poses a problem, but that can be resolved by pushing the "xxxxx" in the water   {-) O0 O0

Ship Worm

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 01:25:55 pm »

%)Just found this site and read some of the comments re. kit quality and thought you might be interested in my experience with Deans Marine and Komet a couple of years ago. I have built a number of boats, larger and smaller than this, both scratch and kits from a number of manufacturers. I can honestly say that by comparison to anyone else this kit is appalling especially when you consider the cost. The drawings are totally inadequate information wise (apart from the fact that Deans say - don't leave them in sunlight, or they will fade - come on! its 2011 not 1950 - change the way you print them) I contacted 'Float a Boat' in Australia for a decent set when Komet was Akuna and their drawings are properly detailed and even show hull profiles, so you could make the hull yourself and scratch build it which would be easier than paying a furtune for the kit.
The instructions are photocopied sheets clipped together in one corner with so many errors that it is laughable. Some photos are out of focus. The box detailed length and breadth in German (why?) and was wrong anyway. The upper deck plywood had a knot hole in the middle of the planking nearly half an inch across and one of the funnel mouldings had a fault that also had to be replaced, how could quality control have missed that?
Puzzled by the unprofessional approach I contacted Deans to ask if I had received a preproduction kit by mistake as I couldn't imagine anyone actually selling something of such poor quality. No came back the answer, and if I found difficulty with the build it was probably that my skill level was not up to the standard needed for this kit!
Call me old fashioned if you will, but what happened to 'the customer is always right' logic. As a mug who had just paid them a shed load of money their arrogance just about topped off my frustration. Needless to say I will certainly never buy another of their kits and have passed on my experience to all our other model club members.
It actually took me a year to return to the model and carry on with it, many times I resisted the temptation to parcel it back to them as ' not fit for purpose' or 'not of merchantable quality' but in reality I hated the idea of heading down that road when who is to say what is acceptable in a kit. Chuck any old rubbish into a box and stick a fancy label on the front and off you go - no standards, little quality control, poor component identification, poor instructions, I could carry on but isn't it a shame that there are no quality standards, score out of ten, etc. to judge a kit before you buy it. Thankfully there are now websites like this around so with a little sideways research you can get other peoples views on the subject.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »

What has happened to Roadrunner?

Just a 'Guest' now on this forum?

Does this mean that we will not hear / read of the successful conclusion to this kit build????????

Hope he is ok....

Carl

millbrookmodelmariners

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »

Pm sent..

I closed the blog on the forum for my own reasons sorry to all that followed, as word spoken by a wise man ''Its always the few that spoil it for the many'' or was that star trek? %%

Anyhow people know where I am if they wish to contact me further...

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2011, 11:41:58 am »

Think you'll find that was 'To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before' was the Star Trek memorable phraise!

Anyway...

These pics taken at Mayhem weekend at Wickstead park, I was told by the builder that she is completely built from the kit, motors and props as per kit, hull as kit, and no fins, keels, or other bits added.
The weather was terrible and quite a few sinkings over the weekend from what I was told, it did not effect this one at all on both days sailing, even with water running off the top of the bridge lol.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2011, 11:45:02 am »

And here's a couple more I've just found...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:25 pm »

I've more photos if anyone else needs them.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:12 am »

Are plans available separately? I have just ordered the Yarta steam yacht hull from Kingston Mouldings which comes with a basic drawing but the Komet superstructure might be a nice alternative. Thanks, Ian.

rmaddock

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:11 am »

Very nice indeed. I fancy that kit myself but didn't think I'd get it past the accounts department.
Looks very good on the water.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.