Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: and you thougth a footy was small ? Try a 1/2 footy !  (Read 1995 times)

meatbomber

and you thougth a footy was small ? Try a 1/2 footy !
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:21 pm »

Hello Folks !

i`ve wanted somethign small to travel or rather something i could build while traveling and then take with me. I`m currently in Doha Qatar and the windy days here convinced me that a sailboat is the answer to my needs

Because i like small i choose the Razor 3 and scaled it to 55% giving the follwoing specs:

Length overall 180mm (7in)
beam 56mm (2,2 in)
Displacement 75g (2,65oz) and the ballast weight minimum 35g scaled from the original model.

Initially i thougth i`d put a parkzone "brick" in it but later decieded that i would have to go for more powerful servos. I now have in there:

2 x Esky 4g Servos
AR6100 DSM2 RX (very large but teh only thing avialable)
a LOSI micro NiCD 150mAh 4 cell akku

The Boat is built from 0,6mm ply (also the only thing available that was suitable) and a bit of balsa.
The Keel is a 1oz fishing weight , slightly too small as per the specs but i think it is adequate.
Finding space inside for teh RC installation was a bit tricky but it works. The biggest issue i have is that i need to plug teh akku into the RX directly and teh access for that is a bit tight even with small needle nose pliers.

The rig was built exactly to scale.
I sailed it on the compound pool and am happy to report that it works :)  sailing perfectly well! The winds at the pool are a bit confused but nevertheless you start moving at barely a breath of air and she tacks and wears even in strong gusts. Sometime i was wanting a storm rig but unfortunately i didn`t have enough material to make another.. a deficiency i`ll fix as soon as i`m home again.

Sailing video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak652obljr4

Brooks

Re: and you thougth a footy was small ? Try a 1/2 footy !
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:33:48 am »

Hi MB, nice boat !

Are you dropping parachuters in Doha Qatar?.

re lack of materials for the heavy weather sail - if you are lacking spars, chopsticks or shish-kabob skewers might work, give you a good excuse to eat at a Chinese or Indian restaurant :-) Or try a grocery store. For sails, do they use those thin plastic grocery bags like in the US? Or how about a shopping bag from a botique of some sort - with their increase in tourism, must be a few shopping mall opportunities somewhere in the city. Plastic wrap off a sandwich? Dry cleaning bag?

Brooks

meatbomber

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:45:04 am »

I have all that but the unobtainable ingredient is.... drummroll... pianowire  :embarrassed:

I got a length from a friend I found via the forum WWW.Qatar.net but gave the rest back without thinking that I would need a storm rig.. just making the A Rig sail smaller wouldn't work so well as the balance of the rig would ne affected..

But I'm on Istanbul airport already waiting for my connection to Prague so I'm only a few hours away from the bliss of my well stocked workshop :D
Cheers

Greggy1964

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »

Amazing baby footie  O0

I love it  :-))

Can we see a photo of the radio gear layout photo please? :-)

I was cruising ebay and I discovered carbon fibre rods and tubes the park flyer's use in building their ultra light tiny aircraft . . .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-Plane-Jet-Carbon-Fiber-Rod-6-0mm-x-1000mm-x-5pcs-/290326321776?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4398cc1a70

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-Fiber-3-X-800mm-Dia-3mm-Carbon-Fiber-Tubes-UK-/200583041082?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2eb3ae503a

They would make excellent super light masts and booms and very strong too  :-))

Just a thought! O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.