Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami  (Read 19955 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dave43

Re: Japan Earthquake!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:13:54 pm »

terrible!!      cant imagine anything like this!  just unbelievable the power of nature.
 watched with shock and horror this afternoon.
my thoughts go out to the people, but  how words cant convey your sorrow im truly speechless.
Dave

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »

Not much more I can add, a really terrifying time for those involved. Seeing that large building go gave you an idea of the power of water. I imagine the loss of life will be high.

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:32:21 pm »

Although it might seem odd to some but I had completeley forgotten that My Cousin is living in Japan and has been on/off for over 20 years, just heard that he is fine but is in an Emergency Centre , where he is , is a fair way from the areas affected by the tidle wave but their apartment on the 11th floor has developed a large crack in it and they are unable to return to it at the moment, Luck really when you see the devestation caused elsewhere.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »

Dear All,

The magnitude of this event is extreme, the results obviously catastrophic - partic. considering the fifty aftershocks that occurred in swift succession.

The Pacific Rim moves on a regular basis, but not quite to this frequency... after the NZ event - and others less significant elsewhere - something is happening 'down the line', and, after quite a 'subdued period' line pressure/stress is bound to release at some time - and it has with a vengeance.

Once things move to this extent, other areas could very well remove stress in sympathy... give it apx. six months and there will be another very significant event somewhere - within 500 to 1000 miles - once stress relieved in one place, it automatically/theoretically places same onto another.

I hope I am wrong.

Regards, Bernard

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:31 am »

BBC Have just announced there has been what they describe as a "huge explosion at one of the Nuclear power stations and are confirming there has been a radiation leak.
So it sounds as if there is worse to come for the people of that area.

Geoff

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 10:45:01 am »

Just watched that on the news. Looks like the top of the main containment vessel went , you can clearly see the blast wave in the air ( same thing you see if you see film of a bomb going off ) and there's only the bare shell ( the metal interior supports ) left , guess the pressure vessel hasn't gone totally ( the bottom is usually twice as thick as the top , always better for an airborne release than a melt down through the base ) but does look very bad.

They said it happened during an aftershock , some of which were bigger than the Christchurch earthquake of 2 weeks ago..
Davie Tait,
Scotland

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:17:32 pm »

Dear All,

Things are very serious in numerous directions.

Please see the BGS website if you want further data (British Geological Survey).

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:23 pm »

Just watched that on the news. Looks like the top of the main containment vessel went , you can clearly see the blast wave in the air ( same thing you see if you see film of a bomb going off ) and there's only the bare shell ( the metal interior supports ) left , guess the pressure vessel hasn't gone totally ( the bottom is usually twice as thick as the top , always better for an airborne release than a melt down through the base ) but does look very bad.

Looks like the containment building went, NOT the pressure vessel. As the coolant went, the reaction in the pressure vessel would have generated hydrogen and steam, which would have been vented into the containment building. This is probably what blew up. The authorities are reporting that the pressure vessel is sound, and, if they can keep it cool, it will not melt and can be stabilised.

So long as the pressure vessel stays intact, any radioactive release is likely to be minor. Mind you, they probably won't be using that pressure vessel again. Of course, the big death toll will be from the tidal wave...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:32:23 pm »

I'm impressed DG, expert in nuclear power stations as well. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »

Dear Dodgygeezer,

What makes me 'slightly cross', is that all this should have been incident proofed when the things were built. If you are building such a thing and know potential risk, it should be built on a very substantial concrete raft - if in doubt, you make it even deeper. Over engineering pays sometimes. However...   

It will all get sorted.

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »

Dear Dicky,

I agree, though maybe it is with marine - very much more complicated. If so, little further will I am sure be said.

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 02:03:37 pm »

I'm impressed DG, expert in nuclear power stations as well. :-))

I have specifically worked on nuclear power safety and control systems with British Energy. But all I am commenting on now is what anyone should be able to pick up...

What makes me 'slightly cross', is that all this should have been incident proofed when the things were built. If you are building such a thing and know potential risk, it should be built on a very substantial concrete raft...

Um... plant was built in 1971. And it probably does have decent foundations. The issue appears to be the level of waste in the reactor.

Light Water reactors use water as a moderator. It slows down the neutrons so they can react with the fuel. If you pull the plug out of a light water reactor and let all the water out it should just stop and cool down. However, the reactions generate secondary radioactive waste by-products, and these will keep generating heat even if the main reaction is switched off. So the engineers will need to get some water passing through the reactor to keep it safe....

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 03:50:17 pm »

Hi,
Does anyone know how the hydrogen is generated to cause the explosion - is it the steam acting on red hot iron reaction or is it something specific with nuclear reactors?

Ian.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 05:05:02 pm »

Hi,
Does anyone know how the hydrogen is generated to cause the explosion - is it the steam acting on red hot iron reaction or is it something specific with nuclear reactors?

The zirconium cladding covering the fuel rods oxidises in the steam, evolving hydrogen. Incidentally, I understand that the secondary waste products which are still evolving heat should degrade in 24 hours or so, so things will become stable and safer at that point.....

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 06:58:53 pm »

It's very sad to see the huge loss of life and devastation mother nature can cause. We all underestimate the power of nature when it's unleashed. I fear the toll in this tragedy will be enormous. I hope we can all spare a thought for those involved and we realise just how lucky we are. Dave.  :((

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »

Dear DodgyGeezer,

Your Mayhem name comes nowhere to match your obvious expertise. I bow out of this very rapidly.

Dave, as you intimate, sadly much more yet. Me done in this matter... lost for words actually.

Regards, Bernard

RRS01

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 08:47:29 pm »

It's very sad to see the huge loss of life and devastation mother nature can cause. We all underestimate the power of nature when it's unleashed. I fear the toll in this tragedy will be enormous. I hope we can all spare a thought for those involved and we realise just how lucky we are. Dave.  :((

I think the problem is that we foolishly think our combined efforts can control "Mother Nature", when in all actuality, all we can hope to do is muddle through our brief existence until we meet our inevitable demise ...  {:-{

In the mean time, enjoy the ride and KEEP MODELING!!  :-))

;D  ;D  ;D

HawkEye

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 10:12:12 pm »

This is a little chilling to watch as the ground cracks and turns to liquid behaving almost like waves on a beach  {:-{

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHxDZGSM7E

Unfortunately I don't think this is the only disaster that will evolve over the next couple of weeks, I hope I'm wrong.

HawkEye

pugwash

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:09 pm »

I think they call it liquifaction - I think the same thing happend in Christchurch
Frightening isn't it.

Geoff

HawkEye

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 10:53:55 pm »

It seems we've all moved a little bit due to the Earth shifting on it's axis, while the island of Japan has shifted 8 feet (in old money) or 2.4 Meters (for the younger ones)  :o

"The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters)".
"Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters)".

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T2

regiment

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:41 am »

yesterday we had a visit from a couple of mormons  nattering on as thay do and one of them said to my wife god is great  he will save the world  in polite words she told them a bit late for japan good bye did not even leave a leaflet cannot argue with that

richtea

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 11:36:42 am »

yesterday we had a visit from a couple of mormons  nattering on as thay do and one of them said to my wife god is great  he will save the world  in polite words she told them a bit late for japan good bye did not even leave a leaflet cannot argue with that

Probably one too many Ms in mormon  O0

regiment

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:00 am »

never thought of that.. if my wife had thought of that she would have said that as well
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.