Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan Earthquake & Tsunami  (Read 19959 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: Japan Earthquake!
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »

Dear DodgyGeezer,

You know, we hear this about info. withheld and we hear that about info. withheld, but the long and the short of it is, there was little that could be withheld of any note. It all went pear shaped and that's that, and even those uninformed knew that! - with a bit of imagination, we could all work out how serious it was... is... well at least now 'is' as the media are rapidly loosing interest. Oh how fickle that bunch are... I despise them all.

Re what you say re our lot of politicians, of course true, and, whilst politicians are politicians throughout most of the World, at least the Far East hold principal a bit more than our lot here in the West. The ethos of the Far East still even these days being somewhat more genuine; the ethos in the West... lie in every conceivable way until you can't get away with it!

Whatever be the case, I hope of course that everything will be sorted asap., and, again, I have the greatest of respect for those on the ground who are doing their absolute best to get it sorted out. Brave are they.

Regards, Bernard

Dekan

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »

Its in the culture of Japan where saving face is still a way of life, I remember a story told by friends who worked in Japan,

I don't know whether this normal practice..but a big Tokyo store had a well dressed and important looking member of staff, who was brought out in the event of a customer complaint and sacked on the spot in front of the customer.

Needless to say that was his job...He returned to his office ready for the next complaint  :}

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »

I have always considered my Far East dealings to date as honourable but maybe inscrutably exercised. B.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2011, 10:54:04 am »

Dear All,

Things seem to be gradually settling down at that plant in Japan thank Heavens. The media have another toy to play with now and have moved to Libya of course.

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 11:55:28 am »

Yes, they are not out of the wood yet, of course, since they have three reactor buildings severely damaged by hydrogen explosions. They still need to inject emergency sea-water coolant to keep things stable. Only when mains electricity is restored will they be able to start clearing up and determining the extent of the damage.

Since several of the reactors there were reaching the end of their lives, I suspect that they will be closed permanently and new ones installed. But examining the equipment as it is disassembled will give us useful info for later designs. It looks as if most things held together well, and the problems were entirely due to no close-down cooling being available after the tidal wave swept away all back-up generators. There is some concern over the containment integrity of reactors 2 and 3, but remember (IIRC) that they were designed to take a vertical acceleration of 0.18G, and the earthquake gave them 0.3G!

I find this to be a useful site to monitor: http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »

Dear DodgyGeezer,

Thankyou for the Link.

I had read before that whilst seawater is not good for normal opers. (for obvious reasons), that due to the not far away decommissioning of these reactors, it didn't matter since decommissioning would be brought forward.

True re the force the place was hit with, but maybe this should have been considered in design? Likewise someone should really have thought to place back-up generator sets in a place that would have been secure from possible tsunamis? This all well and good to say after the event of course, since, when the facility was built, things were not the same as now. One thing is certain though, I am sure things will be done very much differently from now on.

Regards, Bernard

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:33 pm »

The obvious thing to do is to go for Thorium technology - about as risk free as it's possible to get. But since that also has the magic word 'nuclear' in its vocabulary, I suppose that's banned as well...

Waaay off-topic, but I'm personally hanging around until aneutronic proton-boron fusion becomes a reality. :-))

A gram of 11B can fuse with protons to produce just He - no radiation/radioactive waste products - and the energy equivalent of 20000 litres of petrol.   :o

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:05 pm »

Dear DodgyGeezer,

True re the force the place was hit with, but maybe this should have been considered in design?

Earthquake and resulting tidal waves were considered in design. The buildings were designed to withstand a 7.9 earthquake and a resulting tidal wave of 5.7m high. They got hit by the biggest earthquake ever recorded in Japan - an 9.0, generating a 10m tidal wave.

The engineering was fine - the problem was deciding what the appropriate level to protect at was....

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:40 pm »

Mayhemers may like to peruse this offering from XKCD: http://xkcd.com/radiation/ 

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:06 pm »

Dear DodgyGeezer,

Thankyou for the Link.

You know, I just wonder... maybe in an active earthquake zone as Japan is, that 9 might have been the best place to have started design thinking from? - anywhere really.

Regards, Bernard

PMK

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2011, 03:44:04 pm »

...I'm personally hanging around until aneutronic proton-boron fusion becomes a reality.

I'm personally hanging around until they get rid of all nuclear filth and start to listen to what Nikola Tesla had to say.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2011, 04:50:09 pm »

I don't really know how to ask this without either incurring wrath or causing offence...neither of which is my intention.
When these early design reactors were designed and built in Japan surely it was known that the geographical site was very close to the confluence of 2 tectonic plates (the oceanic one sliding under the coastal plate). Was there a good reason not to build these power stations on the western side of the island? You just have to look at google earth to be horrified at the proximity of an ocean abyss to centres of population.
And now the "Greens" are spouting off about the UK being hit by a similar event, conveniently ignoring the fact that our patch of the worlds surface is on a basically nice and stable (and large) continental shelf. I also understand that at least some of the French reactors are inland and not on the coast.
I really do hope that common sense (in short supply with such an emotive subject) will prevail, and whether one likes the nuclear option or not, we don't (at the moment) have much choice.
My only quibble is about the storage/disposal of the nuclear waste.....otherwise I'm quite happy to have my electricity supplied by a nuclear powered source. Sorry to butt in. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »

Dear Bryan,

I am in general of the same thoughts as you. For some reason or another, most of Japan's plants seem to be on a 'suspect' coast, and not what possibly might be called a safer coast. My thinking, and I am sure eventually International thinking, will be that any future plants will allow for max. disturbance. There is nothing wrong with over engineering with such facilities - in my mind anyway. As to waste, well, I am a touch surprised that the tanks in Japan were able to boil. Security for same, and the whole plant, should have been more carefully considered.

Dear PMK, Until such time as those in power see water/hydro as a proper source of power we are firmly stuck with nuclear. Yet again I say, that, every time a good source of hydro is identified it is blocked by whatever agency or whatever environmental group you care to name. What do these damn people want? - but they need what we all need... electricity.

Regards, Bernard

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »

Shipping damage from the Japan earthquake & tsunami  sent to me by Captain Jimmy....

Shipping damage

NB:   PPS/PPT/Powerpoint sideshow    If file doesn't open properly,... Right click > "Save File As:"
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CF-FZG

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

Some amazing photos there Martin.

Thanks for posting :-))

Mark

pugwash

« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2011, 05:05:19 pm »

It just shows how insignificant man is when nature kicks off

Geoff

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
Re: YouTube & other Videos.....!
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »

this is new for me- just in case you haven't seen tsunami fro new angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=IQqmp9OOE1E&vq=medium
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.