Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flag Ship ?  (Read 1714 times)

John Mk2

Flag Ship ?
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »

Now the Ark's gone  >:-o Have we got a flagship ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flag Ship ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »

Interesting point. Presumably Illustrious when she recommissions. Mind you, they may as well accept the inevitable and revert to Victory....

Unfortunately this Government continues to demonstrate that they are wet behind the ears and have little idea of what they are doing. The last one was incompetent, this one is ignorant. No doubt we shall be invaded by Libya shortly.

Colin

andyn

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:28:37 pm »

In ten years time our flagship is going to be a battered old rowing boat with a hole in it somewhere.......

John Mk2

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

If we our Lucky  :((

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »

Sorry Chaps, I allways thought HMS Victory was the Flagship? I know it was in my day,,, Have I missed something? Has She been Decommissioned? As I remember Labour did try to sell her to the French but didn't Quite make it... But as you say I think HMS Victory HMS Warrior HMS Triincomalee HMS Belfast and one or two Vet's from the wars will be the only fleet we shall have ...  {:-{ It Seems to me that the politicians are going to do what all our Enemy's over the centuries have failed to do ... They are going to take the Old Lion to the Dentest in the name of progress and leave him toothless.  Just what is the punishment for Treason these days ,  >:-o >:-o >>:-( <*<
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:01:15 pm »

Victory is the flagship of the Admiral commanding the Portsmouth Naval Base, not the RN as a whole.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »

HMS Albion becomes RN flagship
03 December 2010

Amphibious assault ship HMS Albion has been named as the new Royal Navy flagship replacing HMS Ark Royal, which is soon to be decommissioned.

Albion, based in Devonport, is assuming the role following October's strategic defence and security review, during which the Prime Minister announced that HMS Ark Royal was to be decommissioned some three years ahead of schedule.

HMS Ark Royal returned to Portsmouth for the last time on 3 December, just over 25 years after being commissioned into the Royal Navy. It had been due to remain in operation until 2014.

The ship had been on a farewell voyage around the UK, including a visit to Newcastle where the last four Harrier jump jets took off from her deck.

Ark Royal's commanding officer, Captain Jerry Kyd, said: "There is no question that there is a certain amount of sadness attached to this final deployment. I am only too aware that this ship and her iconic name mean so much to so many.

"She has played a very important role throughout her history and we have always been lucky enough to draw great affection and support from the British public wherever we go."

The commanding officer of HMS Albion, Captain James Morley, said that all crew members took "great pride" in assuming the flagship role.

http://www.defencemanagement.com/news_story.asp?id=14926
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »

Well, when they pension off Albion (along with Bulwark) there's always HMS Gannet in Chatham....

It's almost unbelievable the extent to which the RN has been reduced, and by a Tory Government too.

Colin

richtea

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:39:43 pm »

If its politically expedient ALL parties cut the defence budget,
then when things go t*ts up they call on the armed services to pull them out of the mire.  >:-o
Regards
Richard

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:00 am »

I don't know why they go on about the flagship of the Navy.  Technically speaking any admiral, vice Admiral, rear admiral or Commodore at
sea in charge of a group of ships is the Flag officer and the ship in which he is accomodated and flies his flag is a flagship - he can as has happened many
times in the past shift his flag and that then becomes the flagship.  Any other ship is classed as a private ship. It wont be the first time a frigate or destroyer
has been flagship for a few days/weeks,  So there is hope for Cavalier yet Compared with Victory and Warrior she will be the most modern warship
we will soon have left.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.