Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove paint?  (Read 3989 times)

fmj_shadow

How to remove paint?
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:52:01 pm »

hey all

I got a problem with the paint on my destroyer i'm working on..  It's my first build so I know there could be problems however I'm looking for a way to strip the paint from the model as baset I can without damaging it.

The feel of the hull surface does not feel smooth enough, instead feeling like it a bit rough tbh, I'm hoping by at least trying to remove tha paint and sanding the hull I can smooth out the hull itself.

What would be the best way to proceed?, paint first or sand it and vanish it first before painting?
I want to get the best finish i can for it if ya know what i mean.

cheers

alan

Stavros

Re: How to remove paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:13:53 pm »

Right then lets see

is it plastic....if it is try Fairy power spray.....it works

if it is wood .....then use nitromous

GRP...... Fairy Power spray

Stav

fmj_shadow

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:06:15 am »

Sorry I meant to also state that the hull is complely made from balsa wood.

Plastic stuff is ok but theres no skill involved compared to what ya get making ya own hull.

I'll check that stuff out ya mentioned, as ya can see the ship is a work in progress as theres some damage to it from moving house also it was my first build.

Hope ya get an idea of what i mean I need to get the majority of paint off the hull to try and do it again but better.

thanks

alan

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »

If I may.

I note that you say its made of Balsa wood, I trust you sealed it well and sanded it smooth prior to applying the paint ???

What have you painted it with ?? ie Acrylic or Enamel ??

If its Acrylic then you may not have to remove the paint at all.

You can spray over it with some primer filler, ( Halfords sell it it has a yellow top )  build it up in small coats and sand between, when fully dry and level, then sand again to a smooth finish and let it harden then you can re-spray over it with Acrylic of the colour you wish then varnish over that with a good quality modelling varnish .

the beauty of using a primer filler correctly applied it will fill and remove any blemishes in the hull such as you have mentioned.

P.S. You may wish to rethink the remark about there being no skill involved in that plastic stuff until you have seen what some experienced modellers can do with it and that includes making your own hull etc which can be several times more complicated than a simple wood hull. ok2 ok2

Hope this is of use.
Regards sub.

fmj_shadow

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:00:13 pm »

I always saw in the past plastic hulls is sort of cheating hehe, however i'll take ya remarks as a sign I forget i'm still noob at this stuff.

I painted the hull with humbrol enamel paints, as far as sealing it  I did not have any primer on it before I painted it if thats what ya mean.  My first build theres bound to be errors lol. Thats why i'm asking.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:24:13 am »

no problems matey.  unfortunately i think you may be in a spot of bother here. balsa needs to be sealed with a sanding sealer prior to painting two reasons it sealed the pores of the wood and stops it being absorbant and after a few coats sanding between give a smooth hard coating to paint on. the paint you have applied will have soaked into the balsa giving the rough finish and you wont be able to get it out and any sanding sealer applied now probably wont soak in and do its job. you could try it on a small section and see though if it does then give it a couple of coats sanding in between and see if it seals the wood. other than that its very difficult to
 fix easily without a lot of hard work and may be better to start again.

regards. sub

fmj_shadow

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:04:01 am »

hm.. thats not what i was hoping to hear however, I think ya right about having to start again :(.

thanks for the advice though, i'll give the stuff a try on the rear end of the ship and see if its salvagable.

Oh well looks like I'll have to hunt down a decent frigate plan, maybe a type 23 for a change.

Flatspin7

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:25 am »

This may work but no guarantee : try keying the surface by sanding with a medium grade sand paper, you are aiming to rough up the surface of the enamel : then apply a FINISHING grade epoxy resin. This should give you a new base which you can then build on by applying further coats of resin primer paint etc. It's a fair bit of work but may do the trick.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:17 am »

There is a new product called Eze Cote from Deluxe Materials which might get you over the problem: http://www.deluxematerials.com/products_building.html

Somebody who is doing an article for me in the forthcoming Model Bats Special Issue has used it over enamel with no problems and it is easier to apply and sand down than two part epoxy.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.