Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: what car do you drive?  (Read 45161 times)

PONGO

Re: what car do you drive?
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »

I look forward to showing you my Veyron when it arrives in 2012. :-))

Lord Bungle

« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2011, 09:45:59 pm »

Our Lord Bungle says..... "with a 4.4 rover V8 out of a L76 Aussie Leyland car"

Don't tell  :embarrassed:... but I think he means a P76...... Leyland...... {-) {-) {-) {-) ....we have been discussing keyboards in another post & the P is just to the right & on the next row to L ...........so pretty close I suppose... >>:-( .....Derek
your right  {-) I think I was over excited at the thought of 4 days of drag racing  :-))
And forgot to say the reason that the car is converted to left hand drive is because of the throw of the engine, by putting extra weight on the left hand side it counter balances and help keeps the car straight.

triumphjon

« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2011, 07:50:23 am »

not much good for a trip to the lake though !

Lord Bungle

« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2011, 08:45:15 am »

nope, unless I find a pond at the track  {-) might go and have some boat time this week as I used the time away to charge batteries etc :)

triumphjon

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2011, 11:10:37 pm »

not sure about charging batteries , i should think that motor will blow the cobwebs away ! 

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:31 am »

Right..I'll bite...where's my suit of amour  :}

Only had this one a month, so, still 'On Test'... {:-{

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

pugwash

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2011, 10:40:57 am »

Jab Whats a suit of "amour" something you wear in a passion wagon??

Geoff

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2011, 10:55:58 am »

Jab Whats a suit of "amour" something you wear in a passion wagon??

Geoff

{-)

Well my excuse is...after a good night last night...or was it this morning :embarrassed:

I can't speel ... armour...

will that do?

Jag is ok anyway...I thionk ;D

J.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2011, 11:03:38 pm »

Right..I'll bite...where's my suit of amour  :}

Only had this one a month, so, still 'On Test'... {:-{

we have just bought a LHD 98 Jaguar XJ-R V8 in black, just got to get it shipped from the UK to Finland now
You'd cry if you knew how little we paid for it as its a LHD in the UK
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2011, 04:59:12 am »

we have just bought a LHD 98 Jaguar XJ-R V8 in black, just got to get it shipped from the UK to Finland now
You'd cry if you knew how little we paid for it as its a LHD in the UK

Some are crying at the price I paid for mine here in the UK and its RHD... ok2

What's the kerb weight of the XJ-R V8..?
J.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2011, 08:32:08 am »

According to GOOGLE..... %) O0 {-)..................

Jaguar XJ XJ6, XJ8, XJ12, Vanden Plas, XJR, Super V8 .... Width, 69.75 in (1772 mm). Height, 54 in (1372 mm). Kerb weight, 3841 lb (1742 kg) ...  {:-{ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:57 am »

According to GOOGLE..... %) O0 {-)..................

Jaguar XJ XJ6, XJ8, XJ12, Vanden Plas, XJR, Super V8 .... Width, 69.75 in (1772 mm). Height, 54 in (1372 mm). Kerb weight, 3841 lb (1742 kg) ...  {:-{ Derek

Thank you Sir.

I thought as much, too heavy for us to shift, It will need a HGV if its to be transported.. mine will just fit on if the fuel tank is no more than half full, its all the airbags and electric motors etc etc etc...!

My old Granny 2.9 auto was 'only' 1350kg...an easy move and you couln't tell it was there!, I have a pic somewhere of her last trip...on the truck <:(

triumphjon

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18:08 pm »

why do you need an hgv to move your car  ? is the stated kerb weight with driver , full tank of fuel etc ?

wartsilaone

« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2011, 01:00:49 am »

Yeah isn't the point of a car is that you drive it and not carry it on a lorry?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2011, 06:41:09 am »

Its going to Harwich and then being transported by ship to Turku Finland, the price..... a shade over 500quid with VAT

To drive it accross europe to Finland would cost a lot more when ferry costs are included

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2011, 06:49:54 am »

why do you need an hgv to move your car  ? is the stated kerb weight with driver , full tank of fuel etc ?

Yeah isn't the point of a car is that you drive it and not carry it on a lorry?

Hi there guy's.. Short explanation needed I think !  In my particular case..with the Granada.. I had to scrap it due to age and a starting problem, it was 23 years old and developed a wiring fault, I'd had enough of seeing the garage man and vice versa !!! as I didn't want to drive it we transported her to the scrap yard...here's a photo...

We move cars around the country for Dealer's... the majority are new and have to be delivered to the new owner (usually a company/ Gov dept/ etc) which could be any distance from the dealer's base...we have a trip from Devon to Glasgow this week, two driver's would be needed or 'trade platers' employed, you might see them on the road...they have red 'number' plates tied on to the car ?

There are weight limits for driver's which are  strictly enforced by the autorities, you might have seen the police 'action' programmes on TV, many car's now.. 4x4's especially... would take a non HGV vehicle over the limit, you have to be careful and not exceed the total gross weight.

Our friend in Finland want's his new car taken over there, I don't expect he will want to come for it himself, so he needs a driver or some other method ? he could already have arranged transport...I wouln't mind having a look at his V8 Jag...!!!

Hope this explains my post above  :-))  

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2011, 07:10:49 am »

You are quite right, we had this problem a few years ago with my Range Rover.... The AA had bloke had to call for a bigger recovery truck as no one told him it was a RR

as the car is a perfect runner and completely road legal we have organised a roll on roll off service with a shipping company

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:44 am »

You are quite right, we had this problem a few years ago with my Range Rover.... The AA had bloke had to call for a bigger recovery truck as no one told him it was a RR

Tell me about it  %%

My son had a problem with the truck, called the breakdown people...sorry its to big they said..we can't carry it..he had a car on and total G/W was 3.4 tons...funny but he's with the AA now...and so am I... %)

He checked before joining that they would rescure/relay him and his Transit transporter when loaded..not needed them yet.

triumphjon

« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »

jab , have you never thought of uprating your transit with 5 tonne rear springs , its not the weight of the load being carried that causes our problems , as a rule its often the axle loading !

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:53 pm »

jab , have you never thought of uprating your transit with 5 tonne rear springs , its not the weight of the load being carried that causes our problems , as a rule its often the axle loading !

Hi again,  I know what you mean but there is still the max weight to consider...Son is on his way back here with a VW on board...I think its a Passat...I'll wait until he's here, see what we have and have a think  O0

wartsilaone

« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2011, 03:04:33 pm »

Ah now I see where curb weights come in and why you need a transporter.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:38 pm »

Ah now I see where curb weights come in and why you need a transporter.

You wouln't believe some of the jobs we get, its all fluid in transport.. I have some stories I could relate...don't want to bore you all...you'd be in the shed or looking to buy a new boat kit.. :}

triumphjon

« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »

whats the most unusual you have transported jab ?

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2011, 04:28:47 pm »

whats the most unusual you have transported jab ?

A most recent 'odd job'.. for us anyway...was to move a new A4 from the local dealer to Heathrow T5 (Its a wind up I thought..!) no its genuine...and its not going on a Jumbo...

OK...collect car 09.30, number plates haven't been fitted so they try to stick 'em on with thin double sided tape, no good and they have to do a proper job and screw them on, the key fob is an old one with a different dealers name on it, into the office for a new fob...well it is a new car so come on...! they can't find one so scratch that we're going.

Easy trip from here to Heathrow, 200 miles, we have the new owners mobile number and he has ours, do a Reece around airport and make a plan, ask that steward for advice...explain what the job is and ask where can we unload..park the A4 and find the guy...he's going to be 15 minutes early so that's good.

Steward says there's a petrol station at T4 so that will be ideal, find T5's short stay car park... there it is OK were on... plan into action..!

Arrive at T4, explain to the chap at the pay desk...and the Police who are watching...what the job is...no problem there...thank you guy's :)))

Unload and drive the A4 to T5 and park it up, stand outside the main doors and call the owner...he's already here and looking around but we haven't a clue what he looks like, where are you now Mr H*** ? guy next to me is obviously talking to my son on the phone...!!!

Drive Mr H*** to T4 and send him on his way in the A4, that was easy...lets go home..return trip...on a Friday, rush hour...back up the M/Ways 200 miles, took over 8 hours...flipping nightmare... O0

At least the car was delivered an the new owner went away happy.

We moved a Fiat 500 Abarth a few months ago, smart looking machine...tiny..! we could only tie the front wheels to the truck..! need more anchor points fitting %% {-)...   

This business is only 6 months old...30k and 103 cars moved so far, all dealer jobs, hope we can find something interesting...was hoping for the V8 Jag but I expected it would be over the weight limit...and our friend in Finland would have an arrangement...I'll keep hoping.

Transporter is about 20 minutes away now..more later, time for some food.

triumphjon

« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »

pm sent jab !  . the most entertaining ive yet moved was a four wheeled HORSE DRAWN CART  ! dropped a van to a paint shop for respray , & return load had been cancelled , rang office for next job and sent for what sounded like a small road sweeper , when i arrived on site i was pointed to this wooden cart with 6ft dia wooden wheels & steel tyres on . anyhow after a few mins of deciding best point to put winch cable it was hauled aboard ( 7.5 tonne slide n tilt ) strapping it down was entertaining as its against all normal recovery tasks ! as i left the site i was informed it was the first time in  over 40 years it had moved . within five miles one of the wooden wheels decided to fall apart . my journey from slad ( glos ) to chippenham (wilts ) was completed at less than ten mph with this cart supported on a 10 tonne bottle jack on the bed ! !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.