Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where was I?  (Read 6110 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Where was I?
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »

I visited a very interesting place today. This was in in one of the exhibits. Anyone like to take a guess as to where the ladder came from and led to?

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Where was I?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »

would have guessed at an aircraft Colin, as the steel doesnt look thick enough for a ship - but I have no idea which.....

Probably completely wrong anyway - probably IS a ship :(( :((
Carl

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »

Not steel! Not an aircraft as such.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:25:17 pm »

I think I got it.........aluminium.............Hovercraft!!!! - Princess Margaret or Anne?
Ladder leads to 'cockpit' - The pilots were unique: they held very special pilots licences......issued by the CAA....
C

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:34 am »

Ladder leads up to the Gallows where they should hang every politician in the uk  {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

Yes, Princess Anne. Very poor aft visibility from the cockpit but I don't suppose they had to worry too much about being overtaken!

Look at all those lovely dials and switches.

Colin

waverunner

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 09:57:32 am »

For many years I ran our company's contract with Hoverspeed for all our cross Channel traffic. On more than one occasion I was fortunate enough to get a ride in the cockpit jump seat.

A truly fantastic bit of kit, the like of which sadly we'll never see again  <:(

Out of interest where is she now?

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:26:56 am »

For many years I ran our company's contract with Hoverspeed for all our cross Channel traffic. On more than one occasion I was fortunate enough to get a ride in the cockpit jump seat.

A truly fantastic bit of kit, the like of which sadly we'll never see again  <:(

Out of interest where is she now?

The Hovercraft Museum : Hovercraft Museum, Building 40, Daedalus Site, Argus Gate, Chalk Lane, Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire PO13 9NY
They have both Anne and Margaret - as well as numerous smaller examples.

http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/contact_us_5.html

Carl

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

They have both Anne and Margaret - as well as numerous smaller examples.

Plus a hundred or more models, some of them really good. The place is well worth a visit. I just emailed them and asked if three of us could come down and they were very welcoming, we were just invited to wander around the site as we liked. Great fun. £7 per adult, £6 concessions but I thought it was worth a tenner of anybody's money and happy to support it

Colin

waverunner

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:41:43 pm »

I'll add that to my list of places to visit this year  :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »

Just a pity that it's a long way from Northumberland! All the interesting stuff seems to be down your way! But I'm too old to move there now. Still, I can go and look at the Millenium Bridge and its washing machine drive motor! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »

Never knew this place existed. Thanks for the post. This is now on my list of places to vist this year. John. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:53 pm »

Just to whet your appetites....

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:06 pm »

Appetite very wetted. Thanks John.

waverunner

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:06 am »

Sad to see The Princess Anne looking somewhat neglected. Could do with a bit of tlc.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 10:13:59 am »

Sad to see The Princess Anne looking somewhat neglected. Could do with a bit of tlc.

Well, they are always looking for volunteers.... The museum is a charity and appears to be managing on a shoestring. I suppose it is the usual story that nobody wants to put public money into preserving our National heritage.

Anne seems to be mainly used as a store at the moment with the hold crammed full of small one or two man hovercraft, many of amateur construction. I did not get a look inside Margaret.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:21:01 am »

I think the other problem with both Anne and Margaret is that the Museum doesnt own them (at least that WAS the case a few years ago).

They were bought by a millionaire to supply spare engines for his luxury yacht.  The Museum have to be careful about what they can and cannot do with the pair.

Carl

wartsilaone

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:59 am »

I have thought about building on of these. It would float like a boat with fake skirts but would probably look quite good on the water.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 06:26:03 pm »

Colin,

"Where was I?"    This is on a par with "Do I come here often?", "I'm sure I came in here for something" and "Has anybody seen that whatsit?"

Welcome to the wooly world of the 'mature person'. You can now stop using the Grecian 2000, stop holding that midriff in, stop combing over the remnants of your follicles and realise that when that young lass smiles at you it's because you remind her of her Grandfather.

Stop thinking before you speak because anything you do say will be put down to your age. Wear what you want and gallivant with your bus and train pass. It's all downhill for now; only the angle of declination is (partly) down to you.

Join the club.  :-))

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »

And just what does an aged and pretend retired Clankie know about esoteric navigational stuff like "declination"? Perhaps you're really thinking about deckchairs on board the tug/yacht/launch you're supposed to be making (I refuse to use the word "building" in case it sets off odd thoughts of fat men in low slung jeans).
I can't help but wonder (with a little glee in what remains of my stony heart) if you're still snowed in. I read  (saw, actually) a pic of some happy chappy digging his car out of a snowdrift a few days ago.....I was (truly) sitting in the back garden enjoying the first warmth from the sun since I were a lad....and this was in Geordieland. Tough up north, is it?
Anyway. A good day at the lake today. No weed. I decided to give my trawler "James Cullen" (nee "Bayflower") its first run in a couple of years. And that was when I realised that age creeps up faster than anticipated! For the life of me I couldn't remember how I'd wired the damn thing up. But age also eliminates any feelings of shame or embarrassment. Still worked perfectly on the water though....even if I did have to ask for assistance to carry the damn thing (all 60lb of it). And that's one of my "little models! Lord alone knows how the knees will cope with the "big" ones!
Still, getting ready for the next (last) NE Model Boat Show.
"Norseman" is ready, but the "General Havelock" still has some damage to repair. See you there? Bryan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »

I'll only start worrying when it gets to Who am I?  :}

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 10:45:46 pm »

Gotcha!  ;D

I cast one hook and pick up two old trout. Mind you, that Geordie one with the fractured English is probably too leathery for consumption.  :kiss:  :P  ;D

Barry M

PS Steam Yacht production continues quietly but steadily albeit interrupted by full size steam launch operations - but that's far too technical for you two.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:31 pm »

PS Steam Yacht production continues quietly but steadily albeit interrupted by full size steam launch operations - but that's far too technical for you two.

Yup, too old to stand the pressure. Hope your safety valve is OK - or not.....  :P :P :P

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

Gotcha!  ;D

I cast one hook and pick up two old trout. Mind you, that Geordie one with the fractured English is probably too leathery for consumption.  :kiss:  :P  ;D

Barry M

I presume that in your own roundabout way, you're suggesting that 2 old trout are too old to spawn. Well, in the case of at least one of them you may well be correct. But that doesn't mean that the will to swim against the tide has also gone AWOL.

H

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »

What you and The Bishop (you're not an actress are you?) get up to in private is something I couldn't possibly pry into.  %)

Barry M

PS Got that old banger fixed yet?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.