Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Model Boat Convention: August 27, 2011 - August 28, 2011
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Model Boat Convention  (Read 36294 times)

stevebooty

• Shipmate
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
The Model Boat Convention
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:29 am »

The Model Boat Convention - 27th & 28th August  2011

Due to completely unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances the Show has had to leave Birchwood Park. The owners are redeveloping the restaurant in such a way that the available space will be considerably reduced and the layout will also be compromised. Also, this redevelopment work is currently scheduled to be carried out over the August Bank Holiday period. After a great deal of consideration and consultation with the Manageress at Birchwood, and with much regret all round, we feel that the Convention has no alternative but to leave.

However, we have been extremely fortunate in finding an alternative venue, a mere seven miles up the road, in Haydock Park Racecourse. This venue is easily accessible from the M6, Junction 23 and is well signposted. There is ample parking, has substantial good quality space suitable for our needs, and if we wish to use the 1st floor facilities excellent provision of lifts.

The Holiday Inn is located right next door, and there are Premier Lodges, a Thistle and a Ramada Hotel close by.

Currently our only problem is the provision of sailing water. We will have the ‘kids’ pool as used at Birchwood, and are investigation the provision of a larger temporary pool, as unfortunately there is no natural water available at the venue. We will advise you of progress on this issue ASAP.

We do hope you will feel able to join us at Haydock Park Racecourse.

For further information or responses to queries please ring 01492 583433 or 07789 348817 and speak to Jean Barlow.

How to get to Haydock Park
[/b]
http://www.haydock-park.co.uk/finding-us

By Road: Haydock Park is located one mile from Junction 23 of the M6 and is well signposted. Cars and coaches should enter the course from the A49, the main car park being accessed for the A580 East. Please note there is a speed limit of 15mph on the Racecourse Drive and car park

By Rail: The nearest train stations is Newton Willows on the Manchester (Piccadilly) to Liverpool (Lime Street) line. On the main London to Glasgow line the nearest stations are Warrington and Wigan, both approx. 8 miles from the course. Ring 08457 48 49 50 for further information

By Public Transport: Use either the 620 (St. Helens to Bolton via Ashton & Haydock) or the 320 (St. Helens to Wigan via Ashton and Haydock). Ring 0870 608 2608 for further information.

Steve Booty
Chair, The Model Boat Convention Committee

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Model Boat Convention 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:48:49 am »

I will be attending as usual..... :} :}

No probs thx for the info. :-))

regards Sub.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Model Boat Convention
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:37 pm »

Kirklees Model Boat Club will also be attending.

Stan

Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:21 pm »

Should you need a Pool as this seams to be an issue at present, there are option out there to rent a portable pool for the event.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29350.0

balders

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:54:39 pm »

Good luck at the new venue.I am sure we will all continue to support you as we appreciate the hard work that it must take to stage such an event.At risk of stirring up a hornet's nest can you get your heads together and bring the two factions together for the benefit of all.
                                                                                            Speaking personally I do not know what may have happened in the past and as the saying goes"I don't give a damn".I think we share a great hobby and it will benefit both punters and traders to get the two parties  to show some maturity and make this one of the truly top shows. If my observations offend I apologise and I know this topic has been discussed at length on this very forum,but I think this may be the best time to put the past well behind us.

Andrew(Balders)
                                                                                                                                                   Derby M.B.C

brianc

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »

The guy`s from the Scottish Model Warship Association are still looking forward to attending  :-)) :-))

Davy1

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:53:08 pm »

The Association of Model Submariners look forward to attending as usual.

(But please make any pool as deep as possible!)

David Forrest
AMS Treasurer

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 03:21:56 pm »

The Association of Model Submariners look forward to attending as usual.

(But please make any pool as deep as possible!)

David Forrest
AMS Treasurer

Hi Dave.

I will look forward to seeing you and the other Dave there again this year.

Regards Sub.

kinmel

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »

Colwyn Bay Model Boat Club will be manning their stand as usual.

We look forward to seeing the new venue   :-))

dave301bounty

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 07:52:09 pm »

Haydock ,,its along the East Lancs road ,and a dodle to get to ,

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

I'll be attending as usual, shame it's not at Birchwood with the nice outside pool. Haydock is very simple to get to, probably easier than winding your way through the estate at Birchwood to be honest. just hope there will be something to sail on??  Dave.  {:-{ {:-{

dave301bounty

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »

The water jumps ,quite a few .

HUNTER

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

Hi Guys,
We at Hunter Systems will be attending the Show as normal. We look forward to seeing both old customers and meeting new customers in this new venue.
By the way, the local Holiday Inn is very good!!
Regards to all,
Graham & Cherry

billy01

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:08:12 pm »

I feel that this move of venue is actually a very good thing. The one criticism of the old venue was that it was too small to accomodate all who wanted to go (both trade & exhibitors) now that problem has been resolved, all be it at the cost of the lake that was an excellent feature of the old venue.
The fact that the show is moving to a quality venue such as Haydock Park is a big plus, I would have been worried, had it moved to some dingy sports hall, but at Haydock Park I think it will continue to go from strength to strength. Needless to say we (Component-Shop) will be there as usual. Of all the shows we attend each year, the Model Boat Convention has always had the best atmosphere, I'm confident that will continue.
In due course we will add details (maps etc) to our web site & post a link here to help people find the place - although Haydock Park is very well signposted.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 08:43:34 pm »

That's all very well for a trader to say that but some of us like to sail as well as look at the boats on display. I personally think it's a blow...

Russ 

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:32 pm »

That's all very well for a trader to say that but some of us like to sail as well as look at the boats on display. I personally think it's a blow...

Russ 

Hopefully only a short term blow, there are 5 months to go and although there will be nothing like seeing some visitors up to their knees in rescuing boats   :} at the lake at the Conference centre, all possibilities are being investigated..

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:37 pm »

Website Details for The Model Boat Convention 2011

www.modelboatconvention.co.uk

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 12:27:10 am »

With this show getting ever nearer

The “Model Boat Chandlery” will again operate to satisfy the needs of modellers wishing to sell either their model boats or indeed any associated items at a hobby trading post.

The goods will be sold on the following basis, the choice of the options being left to the modeller: -

A daily display fee of £3 an item, whether the item is sold or not (payable in advance each day).  Items less than £10 in value = £1

Please find a downloadable form here...  

www.modelboatconvention.co.uk/page3.php

The Model Boat Convention is a non-profit organisation, run by Volunteers. From the excess funds generated from the 2010 show we were able to make a donation of £500 to the RNLI, £300 to the MacMillan Nurses, and £200 to the Hoylake 1810 Memorial Fund This was to raise funds for a Statue to commemorate the 1810 lifeboat disaster at Hoylake.

patrick simmonds

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:23 am »

the statue was unveiled on December 2010 at Hoylake 

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »

Hello,

Just returned from helping to set up the Runcorn Model Boat Stand at The Haydock Park show.

What a fantastic setup !!, huge rooms, really big Club and Trader tables, and FREE parking for thousands of cars !!.
The rooms are well lit and airy, some are carpetted too !.

The Park is about one mile from the M6 Motorway, along the A49 trunk road to Ashton in Mackerfield town.
Looking forward to a good Weekend.

John.  :-))  :-))  :-)) <
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

The long Build

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »

As John says, the new venue for the Boat Convention looks great, and some fine models being put on display, seen one in the Chandlery as well but I have been given VEry , Very Strict Instructions and also advised of the consequences if I come home with another boat... 8)  as if...

Don't forget the opening Ceremony will take place at 11 am In the Foyer if you are there first thing..

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 06:18:08 am »

I'll be there nice and early, will try to take some photos and will post them later. Dave. :-)

kinmel

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 05:58:23 pm »

Just arrived back from the two Model Boat Convention venues and I must say that Haydock Park has proved itself to be an excellent replacement for the old Birchwood venue.

Parking the car is no problem at all and is just yards away from the exhibition hall.

There is now plenty of space for traders to show their wares and room for us visitors to closely examine them.  Visitors can move around in comfort and take time to enjoy the excellent Club displays.

Haydock Park itself and the Convention organizers are to be congratulated on what they have achieved in their first year and I am already looking forward to next year's Convention there.

The Birchwood Leisure Centre venue is exceptionally poor value now with it's £2 entrance fee. Fewer than 10 traders and just one display stand of model boats.  For a short time at around 11.30 am this morning, I was the only punter in the room and I never saw a dozen visitors while I was there.    I doubt I will go back to the Leisure Centre event next year, even if entry was free and I expect a number of traders will vote with their feet. 

dave301bounty

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 07:04:56 pm »

I Am glad that this new venue has been approved ,myself I needed no telling ,having used Haydock for other conventions ,it  really makes a good show ,,,  better and no doubt will the first of many the easability and the access ,lighting ,all first class .

The long Build

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

The day was great and althought a bit wet in the morning this cleared up for the Display pond to be put into good use for Have a Go by the Junior Vistitors to the show, a great display by the RNLI Teddys.. :} Blind Steering, The Ribble Probably overpaid Pollux tug Football team..(only 5 in the photo as one was sent off (or went to get a coffee ) and the Hovercrafts who used the pond and then progressed onto the tarmac area for a bit of speed drifting..

A few pictures from the day, many more pictures taken , a few more of my favourites on here on Sunday, all the others I will put on the Conventions Website after the event.

Also If you have any pictures from the Weekend and would like them put on the Convention site , please Pm me or see me at the show..

Larry R.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.