Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing myself as a new member...  (Read 1503 times)

Barry Camp

Introducing myself as a new member...
« on: March 19, 2011, 02:33:08 pm »

In returning to ship modelling, I'm going back, after retirement, to a hobby of my schooldays. Not surprisingly, I'm a bit bemused by changes in materials and equipment since the 1950s.

I've always had a liking for C19th warships, and have taken on a gunboat called "Gayundah" (an aboriginal word for 'lightning') built by Armstrongs in 1884 for the Australian Colony of Queensland. (I am - I hope - attaching a small pic of her present state for those whith a taste for the half-built.)

I came across this site while googling about looking for info on how to deal with twin prop shafts. I quickly came across some useful tips - and liked the friendliness and willingness of members to answer quite basic enquiries. No doubt I shall be posting a few of these myself in due course.

Barry (Barry Camp)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Introducing myself as a new member...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

Welcome to the mad house Barry. It helps if you have both oars in the water around here, BUT, It's not a requirement. Most of the chaps are very helpful if you get stuck so don't be afraid to ask.
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »

As Jimmy said, welcome to the house of fun! Mayhem by name and by nature.

There's a growing band who follow the Victorian era. The ships have a lot of style and the design changes of the period create a lot of interest and plenty of questions.

What scale/size is Gayundah? Looks about 1/24 or 1/36?

Plenty more picures please :-))

Tony

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:34 pm »

That is one big gun sitting on the after deck ...6" or 7" I don't think it's a 9.2"
 Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Barry Camp

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »

It's an Armstrong 6-inch BL. I'm surprised how far aft it's mounted on the overhang of the counter. It will probably be less startling visually once I get the bulwarks up round it. The Ship was heavily armed for her size. The main armament is a 8-inch BL firing forward over the bow and aimed on a 'point the ship, point the gun' basis.

Barry Camp

Barry Camp

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:28:16 am »

I missed Tony's query about scale on my first scroll-down.  I'm building Gayundah to a 1/48th scale, partly to keep things easily portable, but it's also convenient because this was the scale used for Admiralty plans (until the greater length of Dreadnoughts brought a change to 1/96th.) I have an NNM photocopy (expensive!) of a set of hull lines to that scale sent to the Admiralty for information by the builders.

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.