Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 3  (Read 14664 times)

Mr Andy

Huntsman 3
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:26:16 pm »

Bought this boat for a fiver, need's a fair bit of work to put it back on the water.

Andy.  :-) ok2

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Huntsman 3
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:56 am »

Good starting point, what motor are you going with?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:13:11 am »

Looks like an interesting project, look forward to seeing her rebuilt. I love these bargain finds and the joy of restoring them, keep us posted on progress, Dave.  ;)

john44

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »

Hi Andy,
I built a Huntsman 31, some years ago. I fitted it out with a 700BB Turbo motor and a electronize FR30HX
speed controller I have run it on 2 - 6 cell nimh 14.2v, batteries and it really goes well.
 I could go up to 24v on that controller but it would be to manic for me.

good luck with the refurb.

John

Mr Andy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »

Sorry for late reply Internet was down yesterday. I was going to a put 700bb in her, however the chap who more or less bought it on my behalf has suggested an 850 so for now I might go with that. It will be a slow project I think with a shortage of money for electrics.
Hopefully with my more patient friend helping it should look quite good when it is ready.

Andy.  :-)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:58:28 am »

Always nice to see an older boat being restored instead of scrapped. Hope it now has a long life. John.

Mr Andy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:40:24 pm »

If I can get her back into the water she will do, but she's now one of 3 that need a refurbish job, oh please please why do I bother?  {-) {-)

Andy.  :-)) ok2

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:40:09 am »

cos you enjoy the challenge ! i have the same joys , three huntsmen , a 28 , all wooden construction , a 31 with grp hull  and just to be slightly different im building a spear with grp hull/deck

both the hutsman 31 and the spear have been ebay rescues and were once single shafted glow powered models , due to the ever decreasing amount of inland lakes allowing glow engined models they all now operate with twin shafts and electric motors . although as i live just 100 yards from the sea they get operated in the solent ! jon

Mr Andy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:06 pm »

If your so near the sea, why not leave one with a glow engine? The centre boat look's very much like the one I have here, do you have a picture of her on her own? A lot of paint off mine today, what a shoddy paint job if ever I seen one, it look's as if she's only had one coat. Anyway she floated yesterday and the hull look's nice and solid.

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:13 pm »

none of the models were bought with glow motors fitted , just as bare hulls , although they use the commercial hulls they are slightly different in the the cabins are permenantly attached to the hulls , but have removable floor and roof sections for accsess to batteries and radio etc  !

Mr Andy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

Thank you, great help, the first pictures answered a question, now I know how to proceed.  Did your boat start off with two motor's?
Have you got a stern view?

Andy.  :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:19:33 pm »

no , it had the remains of a single shaft , and around a tub of filler on the inside of the hull , which has all been removed , it now sports a pair of stainless steel m4 shafts from no mustang mark .

Mr Andy

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:27 pm »

Tidy insallation of your motor's, I'll leave mine as a single screw, more about cost than anything. I take it you also planked your deck, I'll do mine after looking at yours, it look's very nice.

Andy.  ok2

Mr Andy

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 12:07:31 am »

Some work done through the course of the day, even bought a new sander.  :}

Andy,  :-) ok2

Only part of the hull in need of a bit of work is the bow.

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:24:03 am »

weather your fitting twin shafts or sticking with a single , you need to change the angle of the propshaft  ( before you repaint the hull ) it needs to be as shallow an angle as possible to maintain maximum forward thrust .

if its of any assistance ive also fabricated my own air scoops for the cabin sides from alluminium , as working scoops ive fabricated ducting between the outer cabin side & the inner skin of the open cockpit thus allowing some cold / fresh air down to my motors , i will take some phots of them later . jon

Mr Andy

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:35 am »

Thank's Jon scoop's sound like a very good idea, as for the shaft, it look's like a huge effort will be involved with changing the angle, what I might do is test her on the lake in undercoat, then apply top coat if I'm happy.

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »

scoop photos as described earlier ,

Mr Andy

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »

Your boat look's smart, hope mine can be brought to the same standard. Taken all the paint off hull in in good condition bar one hole, and as I said earlier need some work on her bow. Thank's for your input Jon, I have no doubt it will be a great help.  :-))

Andy.  :-) ok2

triumphjon

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »

thank you . its been to get wet today , runs but not yet quickly enough for my taste , so time to invest in bigger batteries ! im running on 12 volt motors which dont do so well on 7.2 volts . the scoops are made as required , if you pm me with the height from deck to cockpit , and roughly the length youd like them , they can be either polished or matt finish ready for paint .

johnboscoirl

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 09:48:53 pm »

Good luck with the refurbish.  I just bought mine of ebay this evening for £13.00, from what i could see will be mainly superstructure, and electrics. Im new to the model boat world and didnt want to initially do a a kit build, but happy to have a go at a refurb. I pick it up on Tuesday and will post pics asap. Thanks to everyone else who made comments etc on the electrics, info greatly appreciated.  Look forward to the progress of your refurb.  Enjoy :-)

Mr Andy

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 07:30:15 pm »

I bought some wood for my two refurbs yesterday, so hope to get started on the Huntsman sometime soon.
Good luck with yours Johnboscoirl, and look forward to pictures. Price of a brand new boat is £109, I was looking in the shop yesterday.

fletch62

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »

this was an old spearfish found on a car boot sale thank god for car body filler  {-)

built the top alng the lines of a huntsman  started an old sea commander now

Mr Andy

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 11:14:23 pm »

Another nice refurbishment, if mine looks that good I'll be very happy, what motor are you using?  :-)

fletch62

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:15 pm »

running it with a enya 29 ic

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:40 pm »

Anyone know what happened with the Huntsman?
Pre meltdown so I can't even be sure the posts are accredited correctly.

Dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.