Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 3  (Read 14663 times)

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
Re: Huntsman 3
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 04:17:02 pm »

OK I'll resurrect this thread and hope others carry one with me. The boat in the original post is mine pre meltdown, over the last few months of doing a little or nothing at all on my RTTL MK3, she is now more or less ready to be put in the water, this means I can do a little on the Huntsman.
On initial paint stripping I found the bow section to be soft and spongy on the Huntsman, this problem appears to have been cured by adding filler to the area. However on sanding down holes appeared in the bow section on the sides, I decided to get into this area and apply fibre glass but wasn't sure the best way to go about it. My friend decided the best way was to cut in through the deck, although not keen on the idea this was decided the best way forward. Using a jig saw was out of the question as it would have ruined the hull, so a Stanley knife and small saw were used instead. Fibre glass matting was added and the resin which dried in a reasonable time, it was re packed with polistyring and the section of deck replaced and filled round the edge. This section along with the rest of the deck will be planked.
The red arrows in the picture show the pilot holes, and the black arrows where the deck was cut out.  :-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 01:37:58 am »

Hi Andy

Nice to see you back on the Huntsman - I'll tag along.

Dave

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 08:11:04 am »

i shall keep looking in too , progress on my own 34 " version has wained , as im yachting too

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

I'm not going to go rushing into getting this one done, I'd like the chines on the hull done first, then possibly plank the deck. I'll only need a motor and speed controller I think!!!! So looking at the water in a a couple of months maybe.  :-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »

A couple of months is lightning fast in my book Andy.

Dave

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

I'll slow down a bit then.  :} :} :} No seriously sometime this year in the water would be nice.  :-))

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

OK, got fed up sat at the computer, so off upstairs I went. Wasn't sure if the horrble deck surface could be removed easily, so I prised a small screw driver underneath and it started coming away. Parts that were stubborn were sanded down, then removed as before with a screw driver, my deck now is flat bar some filler applied to close up minor gap's of which there aren't many.
Before starting on the planking I think the super structure can be treated to a bit of L&A and stick the two broken bit's back on, and possibly a coat of under coat.  :-)

Victor K2

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:43 am »

Hi All,
 I am new to this site and a partner in crime with Mr Andy. I have recently purchased a pre owned Huntsman that had once been a static model in a shop window. When I first saw it I instantly thought of the one I have been helping Andy on. When I enquired about it I would have been happy to pay the asking price ,but not able to resist a barter, I managed to get 25% Knocked off. I hope to restore this magnificent Boat and install all the necessary equipment to get her into the water. Here is a few "pre restoration photo's. My first aim is to lift/prise off the superstructure to gain access to the hull and decide what equipment to install. She is about 46 ins in length and I would appreciate any advice as to what motor/motors to install (budget permitting).

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 06:48:34 am »

Looks good... what size is it?
I'm using one of these motors on mine (34" Precident)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140756164591 with a Watercooled ESC and 5200Mah 22.2V 3S lipo
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Victor K2

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17:10 pm »

I have measured her at 47 ins length and 15 ins at the widest point of the beam. I have also made a start in "reverse engineering" to gain access to her hull. Manage to ease off the top of the cabin by running a stanley blade around the edges. A gentle persuasion or 2 with a chisel and hey presto I had access. I also photographed her alongside Andy's for comparasion. ( Andy says size doesn't matter) {-)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:32 am »

before andy progresses much further in his restoration , change the angle of his propshaft , its far too steep and will currently result in pushing the bow down , not allowing thte hull to plane !

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »

I'm going to keep the shaft as it is for the first test splash, then I will take your advice. If she doesn't look bad I'll leave it as it is, as I really don't want to have to pull thr shaft out.  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »

Hey Andy - your build, and absolutely your decision but.............
I have one to refurb so I read all I could and I spoke to someone whose opinion I greatly respect.
All were in agreement about the angle of propshaft needing to be changed. I'm a lazy guy so I hate to do anything twice.
 {-) just be sure to have fun whatever you decide.

Dave

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 11:38:05 pm »

Doing something twice !!!! Yes know about that.  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: Built a Springer a much larger Springer TBH two Graupner 700's and a pair of Electronize S/C's.
Anyway to cut a long story short, it was a total failure, and practically sunk on the first outing, took it home kept it away and forgot about it, then one day I got thinking about all them new parts I'd got wasting in a boat I couldn't use. And this is were doing a job twice comes into it, what should I do? I couldn't sail her she'd sink, pointless scrapping her only made out of wood, then I thought of the story I'd heard about Irish Ferries wanting to lengthen one of their ship's, and then it came to me, I can do that.
A decision was reached moments before I reached for my saw, I cut off the Springer bow and more luck than judgment formed a more pointy one, this of course solved the I need to sink syndrome, but she still goes head down a bit when under power.
So the morale of the story of course is this, if it ain't broken don't fix it, or in my case alter it.  :D :D :D :D

Victor K2

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »

Hi,
a few pictures to show a bit of progress. I have gained access to the Hull interior and put a cut out inone of the buklheads as I think I need access in that area?
I have also started to rub the original paint work down as it had a few runs.
I have yet to decide if I am going to use twin motors or a single. Cost as always will be a factor. I am thinking (hoping ) twin motors at the moment. I will also have to put an access hatch or two in the cabin roof.
Thats all for now :}

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 06:13:35 pm »

On looking at the single page of plans I have on the Huntsman, I have decided to take advice and will re locate my shaft to a less radical angle. I'm sure it was out by .75 of an inch.  :o :o
Here she is shaftless.

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »

Bit slow on my Huntsman, so last week the chines were fitted and a little while ago the second coat of resin was applied to the hull. Tomorrow I'll see if it can be sanded and perhaps sprayed with an undercoat. Here she is, looking better than I dared imagine when I first got her.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:00 pm »

she is, looking better than I dared imagine when I first got her.

I could say the same about the wife Andy  O0
no not that bit above  - yes the other bit ..........
'She could be sanded'  {-)

I'll be checking for progress tomorrow, so no snoozing.

Dave

Mr Andy

• Shipmate
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 12:01:59 am »

I will do my utmost later to have a bit more progress.  ok2

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »

Was at poole a week ago and saw this

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 02:12:56 am »

Hi Baloo, is that Kent Clearview Window standard on the model or fitted later?

Dave

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »

lots of the huntsman ive seen are fitted with them ,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.