Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the most out of a Club 500  (Read 2306 times)

ixion

Getting the most out of a Club 500
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:25 pm »

Hi Guys,

I want to 'Tune' my Club 500, not to take part in races but just to see how fast I can get it to go. Anyone recommend a motor and prop? What effect do propellers have, for instance what would make the boat faster a 45mm, 40mm or 35mm 2 blade prop.
Any suggestions or experiences welcome.

Thanks

exvtop

Re: Getting the most out of a Club 500
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »

I once inadvertently fitted a 40mm X prop to mine which has a greater pitch than the standard 40mm P prop.
The boat was certainly faster but the motor got very hot - could smell it when I took the lid off.
Have heard of 3S lipo being tried with "interesting" results.

Mike

knoby

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »

I tried my old formula 3 set up in a 500 once. 19 turn motor & 31mm metal prop running on 6 cells. Notably quicker, but was 'interesting' in the turns :}.
To be honest, with the standard motor, the 40mm prop is about the optimum you will get. Might be worth trying an X30 if you have 1, but watch the current draw, you don't want to melt anything.
I guess it depends how much money you want to throw at it, brushless & lipo's would give a considerable improvement, but I'm not sure how much more power the hull will cope with.

cheers Glenn

ixion

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »

Hi Mike,

I once inadvertently fitted a 40mm X prop to mine which has a greater pitch than the standard 40mm P prop.
The boat was certainly faster but the motor got very hot - could smell it when I took the lid off.

Was that using the standard 550 motor?

ixion

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:29 pm »

Hi Glenn

To be honest, with the standard motor, the 40mm prop is about the optimum you will get. Might be worth trying an X30 if you have 1, but watch the current draw, you don't want to melt anything.

Do you think a X35 may be a improvement over the 40mm prop as I have a X35 knocking about somewhere?

knoby

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »

It might be worth trying an x35, but it will draw much more current than the standard prop, so watch out for the electronics !! don't know what speed control your using so i cant sat for sure it will cope. I suggested the X30 as it will draw less current than bigger props. also worth thinking about is a smaller prop will spin faster than a bigger one, so it may well make the boat faster. I know when i used to race f3, changing to a smaller prop would give the quickest speed, but its a case of suck it & see.

exvtop

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:36:43 pm »

Hi Mike,

Quote from: exvtop on Today at 09:23:05 PM

Was that using the standard 550 motor?

Yes, just the standard club racing setup.
Although it was quicker, it wasn't THAT quick.
As I recall, I still didn't win that particular race (but nothing unusual about that).
Personally, I don't think there's much point in pushing the Club 500 too far - don't think there's that much ultimate speed available in that hull.
For a good adrenalin rush, my Off-Shore Warrior ready-to-run on a 3S lipo is quite enough for me.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.