Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing's Nordkap "476"  (Read 3616 times)

seymore

Billing's Nordkap "476"
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »

hi all,

this is the build that started me with wooden kits.  I had brought some pictures of {my then} latest build of the Revell 1:96 Cutty Sark to work one day to show the guys i work with.  one of my co-workers later told me about a ship that he had up in his attic......been there for over 20 years.  he had started it, but either lack of experience, or time had made him decide to abandon it.  it's a Billing Boats kit, sold in two parts at the time...he said he had both parts for it.  he told me that if he should go in the attic, he would get it together and bring it in to me....I could have it.  well, it took a few weeks, but one day he brought it in.  he could not find the second part to the kit though, and he vowed that he would keep a look-out for it and bring it in to me.  I still had some things to do on the Cutty, so I wasn't in any hurry to start it anyway.  I have never done a wooden kit before, only dabbled with stick and tissue airplanes in my youth.  I'm sure you know all about "the kid in a candy store"......well, I just couldn't keep my hands out of the box!  all the parts were there.  he had built the keel and the ribs, but a few of the parts were only fitted, not glued.  it sat in a pine board that he had slotted for the keel, warped with time, but  i used it anyway.....didn't seem to hurt the model in any way.  next thing I knew, I was working on both ships....one in our computer room, the other in the dinning room.  once i got the primary sails on the Cutty and rigged, I tabled her, and worked on the Nordkap.  I don't have any picture on him handy at the moment, bit I will put something together and post them......sort of a  "then and now" thing.  I like working with wood......it's been a lot of fun.  I don't know if I can go back to plastic....I think it's going to be hard!

seymore

Re: Billing's Nordkap "476"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:19:59 pm »

here are a few of the "then" pictures.  it has come a long way since then......but it still has a ways to go yet.  as a newbie.....I made two big mistakes {in my mind they are} with the build.  first off, I didn't glue between the planks.....not too big a deal, since this is a static build, but it compounded the second mistake.  this is when i went to paint it.

this is a two-part mistake......first, I used "rattle" cans.  the paint went on too thick, the temperature wasn't right for painting in the first place, and I was an impatient newbie.  the second part came as it dried....plank lines!  they are quite visible and dashed throughout the hull like Morse code!  where I had cemented the planks on are fine, but the areas in between.......you get the picture.  sanding and removing the paint is a big thing on my list, but we are in the process of moving, so it will happen at a later date. I may even have to remove the rub rails {strakes?}, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  there is no paint at this stage of the build....just the beginning.

seymore

Re: Billing's Nordkap "476"
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »

here is the second part of the "then" pictures.  I did get to some painting and did a lot of work to the pilot house assembly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.