Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Medieval Warship Resurrected  (Read 34000 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Medieval Warship Resurrected
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:48:33 pm »

Medieval Warship "Dragons Bane" resurrected
 I built "Dragons Bane" (Dragon's being the Viking or Dragon ships) in 1989 as a fun boat but she sailed so well (On calm days) she became a favorite the catapult was added in about 91 or 2 and she used to bombard the local kids with sweets much to the delight of the youngsters
 She was build of 64th ply and corn flakes cardboard with out any frames or molds all the planking takes up its natural curves and she is clinker (Lapstraked in the US of A)
 Built  and 2 x 1/4 frames were added before the deck was glued on mainly to hold the battery --- I'm going to plank the decks re-rig her and install new electronics. sail control will be a small capstain (I might try a sail arm servo) for the sail and a small servo for the rudder.
  Enough talking, Here's the pictures if enought interist is generated I'll go into the constrution

Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Midieval Warship Resurrected
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:19 pm »

more pix --I Hope

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:26 pm »

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:24:36 pm »

As you can see she's in a bit of a state she's been in the loft since 96 and I just blew most of the dust off and took some snaps--- The varnish is dark with age and she never had a planked deck I think 3 or 4 weeks work should see her right and I can get back to chasing those Dragons
 Freebooter
Kings Lynn

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:22:44 pm »

I'd describe her as a nef, and with her stern-hung rudder, perhaps late 13th century.  :-))

Does she carry (must do!) a false keel. And how did you brew up the huill lines?

Final question (for now!) What lies under the blue tarp in the backyard at Kings Lynn?  %)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

kiwi

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:56:13 pm »

Very nice Jimmy.
More details of how she was constructed please, and also answers to Andy's questions.
The patena of the aged varnish makes her look just right.
Well done, and so much detail
cheers
kiwi

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:09 pm »

That is great Jimmy ,you can turn your hand ,great skill .

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »

Andy ,Dave & Kiwi
  AAAH! the mysterious Blue tarp..It is the cover of a 56 year old Enterprise 14' Sailing Dingy (Still in sailing condition with the original sails) I sail Her at Brancaster, Blakney and Wells (Norfolk Coast)
 I'll start posting plans in 3 or 4 days." Dragons Bane"  was built without plans (the Hull in 3 or 4 days as I seem to remember) I have to draw them up ... Really they will be my way of building a clinker hull ( you can scale it down to build ships boats and lifeboats & dingies no frames are used until the hull is finished this makes for a very light strong hull as it is all natural curves of the wood ...Yes she has a bolt on keel :embarrassed:  {-)  :-))
Jimmy

Kings Lynn

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:27:10 pm »

It is the cover of a 56 year old Enterprise 14' Sailing Dingy (Still in sailing condition with the original sails) I sail Her at Brancaster, Blakney and Wells (Norfolk Coast)

Ha ha - I thought maybe my Enterprise spider-sense was tingling. I own E18570. Wooden, mid/late 70s vintage - but want something bigger.  %)

I hope your nef doesn't have the woeful weather helm I always found the Ent to have!  :}

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:51 pm »

Andy I think my sail no# is E1449 (I'll Have to check)wooden with most of the origanal fittings  though as I sail singal handed a lot I put in an extra set of cam cleats about 3 foot aft of the normal ones for the jib (makes the sheet easer to reach) also I have very little weather helm but I have heard the older boats rarely suffer as much as the more modern ones do
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:30:05 am »

MORNING JIMMY, just medieval war ship , nice build again seeing the  age of it ,
   do you ever produce plans of your models , if so i would be interested, i have found your sail rigg drawings most use full.
  you should produce a book on your modeling . to help old duffers like me , to get on better  {-)
     good show cheers LARRY W..... :-))

kiwi

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:11:03 pm »

Hi Jimmy,
I fully concur with what LarryW has suggested for you. And even jottings as well of your seafaring journeys as Bryan Young has done, and which we all found so interesting.  Your sketches are so clear and so well executed, collecting them together with drawings of your models and explanation texts would give you enough material already for at least Half the book, so think on it please.
The Master Builds from Bryan, Bunkerbarge and others have i'm sure helped so many of us on here.
My ten cents worth - that's a shilling in real money
cheers and take care
kiwi

allnightin

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »

Jimmy,

How well does your model actually sail?  Straight down wind only or are you able to make much progress across wind or even tack?

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 12:26:31 am »

OK, Ganging up on me are you - {:-{ I never Draw up plans before I build a model  though sometimes I work from a photo or painting But I build types of ships or vessels  I very rarely build a specific ship or vessel only about 4 or 5 and they were done to order as for writing a book ??? my brain works so much faster than my poor hands I,m allways 20 or 30 letters ahead of my typing so when I look back at what I've done ,,,its all Gobble DE gook and I have to re type 80% of it I then get Teed off at what I ve done and bin it Nooop! Don't think I'll do a book this life time...Sorry Chaps
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »

HI JIMMY, I WISH I HAD YOUR BUILD TALENT,   shame about the book how about a ghost writer :-))
     BLACK ROSE , is of for sail soon , when garden is finished, 
    my pool is 24ml trip away, but its a salt water sorta  ,so no reed beds ,   LARRY W... O0

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »

Looking forward to seeing the "Rose".  Rite I have been working how to do these plans and have come up with as they say a "cunning plan " (no pun intended)
 I'm going to take close up snaps of the hull, Post some diagrams and part build a hull out of cornflake boxes while photographing the results this should give you most of the tricks and wrinkles to build your own boats  its a simple build and should go pretty quickly
 1) photo of keel , Keelson & Shell planking taken through the main hatch & diagrams

Instead of cutting a rebate in the keel , stem & stern posts I've built each section in 2 pieces this will all ways give the planking some thing to rest on and a good area to glue to.
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

kiwi

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »

Hi Jimmy,
I understand your problem with the keyboard. I always have to go back and correct anything I type up.
That's why I suggested maybe just posting short reminisences, or a series of build articles on your boats.
With your knowledge of ships and your building skills I'm sure that capturing the various types, in photos and print would help others.
If I was in England I'd offer to come measure your models and draw up drawings for you, as a way of passing on the information to others.
The drawing up part for me is just as enjoyable (and frustrating at times) as the actual build, because I learn so much about the actual fullsize construction and the methods used to build in that way.
But, Please continue with showing us your builds, (and rebuilds) and how you rig and sail your models. I really don't know all that much about sail boat rigging, even though I have a very strong interest in the sailing scows of New Zealand, (and schooners do it for me to) from 100 years ago, when they where at their peak here, And I was brought up sailing and messing about in dingy's etc. Just spent so long leading a semi nomadic life working around the world in places far far from the sea and lakes, didn't really have the opportunities to build and sail. But now that I'm back in NZ where there is a lake, river or the sea, no more than 15 to 20 minutes from anywhere, I'm enjoying ship modelling again.
Keep up the good work and take care
kiwi

ps your just posted description of construction is magic, clear and well written. Keep them coming.
I'll shut up and read and learn now. Thank you Jimmy.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »

1) After castle and rudder 2) Bow Planking 3)Hull Bracing & Planking
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 07:40:53 pm »

1) Planking & Bracing-2  2)Stem Post -1 3) Stem post 2
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:00 pm »

These are some very old ships boats built this way But of writing paper not card they are old  (About 25 or 30 years) and battered (And covered in dust) but it shows what YOUcan do

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

These boats are approx 2" (inches) long and are on an Old Victorian (Type) gun boat ...Old and battard like the builder
The purpose of this exercise is to show what can be done with this way of building
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »

HI jimmy,   what a great idea , and build lessons and sketches are great, keep them coming,
   i print them out and fit them in folder,.......
   why not contact MARINE MODELING INTERNATIONAL, they would really enjoy your articles
  its a great mag .........LARRY W.                                                                                                                                   

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 09:38:09 pm »

Sorry Gang having Female Prob's at the moments   2 Granddaughters have Chicking pox and can't go to school so Mister Muggings here has to look after them from 08:00 to 19:00 when Daughter or Son Inlaw pick them up and take them home, so it's going to be about a week before I can get some work done and posted  Sorry.
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

kiwi

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »

Jimmy,
Enjoy your time being nurse. See you back here in a week
cheers
kiwi
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.