Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Medieval Warship Resurrected  (Read 33996 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Midieval Warship Resurrected
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:22 pm »

Like This

Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2011, 09:04:29 am »

HI JIMMY , thank you for reply , i have a little problem knowing what sail is which , being a beginner i struggle with sail knowledge, .......
    sorry to be a burdan but could you put one of supper sketches to guide me whats what LARRY  THE PAIN IN THE     BUM ... {-)

Grub

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2011, 09:41:35 am »

Keep asking Larry :-)), I'm reading Jimmys threads and don't have the foggiest and am really interested :}, so you're stopping me from looking too stupid {-).( I am however very aware that you know more than me so I will have to make some enquiries eventually :embarrassed:)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2011, 11:12:21 am »

Larry & Grub
  One of the reasons I run this thread is to help people Like you, Not every one is as lucky as I am, I started sailing when I was 5 years old and started getting payed for sailing when I was 12 years old on large yachts and small square riggers in the summer Ho l's ,Being a Navy Brat I sailed all over the world I have been in 2 Navy's, the North Atlantic fishing fleet (steam trawlers from Hull in the Ist cod war) Merchant navy mostly tramps but some ferries and regular runners, Sail Training ships , and Survey and Salvage ships so after 50+ years at sea I can very often help people with the odd problem (and I don't mind being ask questions) so Ask away and I will do my best to answer)

Hope this helps you
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »

HI JIMMY , if we ever meet the drinks are on me. by the way i was in Hull in ,,the 50 s as a regular in 3 dragoon guards instructor with east riding yeomanry .
 so i new it well when it had a fish dock at hesle and a active working merchant dock , and paddle ferry to grimsby at bottom of the land of green ginger,
 and the girls where a challenge at the local dance at Beverly road baths to a live band had many enjoyable last dance.... :-))...LARRY

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 10:12:04 pm »

I new the place well ,In those days The hands brought their own bedding (Usually a donkeys breakfast and 2 or 3 blankets) and their own Boots and Oilskins (thigh boots and an oil skin frock & South Wester) they also brought all their own cold weather gear 2or 3 woolly jumpers 2 pair of mole skin trousers and 3 pair of boot socks was the min.
 It used to get a bit chilly (-20 -30) hauling nets and gutting fish on the open deck North of Iceland in the middle of winter the worst of it was that it was allways dark. You worked 15 & 5 (15 hrs on deck 5 hrs watch below ) the hands lived in the foc'le a triangle shaped space with 20 bunks around the bulkheads (double banked)the only heat was an old pot belly iron stove. No HS&E in those days 3 to 4 weeks at sea 60 hrs in port and off to do if again---What price Fish & Chips

http://cocatrez.net/Water/RC_SquareRiggers/RC_SquareRiggers.html

try this web site, its square rigged sailing models and how to do it
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »

In a Bout of Madness I fitted out the cardboard boat we built with a beam shelf inner and outer Wales and Thwarts
 To non Nautical people
 Thwarts (Seats)
 Beam Shelf (a plank fastened  to the inside of the boat for the Thwarts to rest on. )
 In & Out Wales  (Reinforcing Planks used to strengthen the Sheer strake inside & out side.)
 Sheer Strake  (Top plank or plate in the Hull. )

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:06 am »

I wasn't going to finish this boat but fate intervined, the servos , R/X & switch harness I orderd have gotten lost in the post and I had to do something
 Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »

HI JIMMY. what a work shop , i thought mine was a jumble ,but yours looks more business like , great boats in there got any plans , LARRY .......

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:58 pm »

Sorry Larry
I carry the plans in my head, other than the odd boat built to order ( And I've stopped doing that now) I only build boats  for myself , when the old boat yard gets full I sell one or two off to make room But because I build types of ships and I build them to sail my model ships are not to scale . In fact when people ask me the scale of my ships I tell them they are back seat scale If they press it  I tell them the Truth they are built to fit on the back seat of my car.And I never work to a plan but to a Picture ,Photo,
 painting or just to an idea and I build to eye not to scale  It's like that little clincher boat on this thread I cut the bits out glued them togeather. no plans. no measurements
 If it looks right on a ship it normally is right
 Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2011, 08:58:23 pm »

Larry
As for my work shop I started out as just my work shop and boat stow ...But then I used to go away to sea for 3 or 4 months and come home to a junk store, I've got 3 grown up Daughters who think that empty work tops should be covered and floor space should be filled with boxes ,Bikes and old furniture...Nature arbores a vacuum... women abore empty shelves and Floor space...Or so I beleve
 Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »

Have connected the servos to De Rx and the Rx to De batteries ,,,De winch to De batteries and wrapped the sheet around the capstan and ----"Wait 4 it"---- switched on and Guess What,,,, Wrong !...nothing happened ....Quick check ....every thing is plugged in ...no loose connections????? OPPS!!!! whats that black hole in the Rx????  you guested it first time No Crystal ...Gurrr!   Right swiched on again And.... it alll Works ...All ye of little faith... simple Ballast keel to make, 2 lbs of lead bolted to the keel
  Now if the Gods will be kind and talk to the winds sailing and Pix on Sunday
 Freebooter
 If not, its triles at Whicksteed
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2011, 09:47:00 am »

Some Pix of rigging and temp keel , but first the Dimensions some of you have been asking for remember shes only a small ship
 LENTH OA 28",  BEAM 9", L WATER LINE 25", DRAUGHT (EXTREAM) 3.5",FREEBOARD 1 3/4 ", MAST 20",  HIGHT OA 26.5", WEIGHT (TOTAL) WITH BATTERIES  4.5 LBS
  FOR ALL YOU NON NAUTICAL PEOPLE I refer to a vessel being on the port tack or the starboard (Stb'd) tack  ---- A vessel on the stb'd tack has the wind on her stb'd (Right )side, all sails, flags and pendents stream away toward the port side , the vessev will also heel to port (Left side) as a general rule of thumb the vessel on the stb'd tack has the right of way  (but there are exceptions) A vessel on the port tack has the wind comming over her port (Left hand) side and the sails, flags & pendents stream away to stb'd she will also heel to stb'd    ---- Heeling , A vessel Heels over if the wind blows her over or she makes a sharp turn ----LISTING A vessel has a list if she is not ballasted correctly and leans to one side

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:01 am »

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00:50 am »

Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:49 am »

Hopefully I shall get her in the water Thur or Sun and sort out any bugs . Before she only had a Jell-cell battery for ballast and was about 2 lbs heaver I'm hoping with more modern batt's and external ballast keel I shall get away with the lighter weight, it remains to be seen if I will have to add more weight or move it slightly fore or aft 
 for those of you who know Port from Stb'd Sorry but even in my own club some people resist tradition and common sense, people still ask me why port and stb'd why not left and right like the Yanks  the answer is something the Yanks don't have ---"over Two Thosand years of Tradition "
A short history lession for you
 Many years ago before even I was born British and Europen ships  had side rudders ( like Viking ships) not rudders hung on the stern like today  the rudder was hung on the right hand quarter and this was known as the steer board side of the ship over the centuries it got corrupted to starboard side ... because seaman did not wish to damage the rudder they used to tie up in harbour and lay along side on the opposite side and this was called the layaboard side --- It became corrupted to larboard side and some time in the 16th /17th century it became the port side  (the side to be to the port or harbour) as a point of interest most modern single screw ships still prefer to go port side too as the transverse thrust of the propeller aids them to do it
 Right I shall now take my mortar board off and hope this has helped some of you
 Freebooter
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »

Sailing Pix Next the Gods Permitting
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2011, 08:05:31 pm »

Sailing on the lake Hunting Dragons

Sorry no close ups my camara man didn't have any boots
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:20 pm »

:-))

Full of character - a lovely looking boat!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2011, 12:25:12 pm »

Thanks Andy
 Glad you like her
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »

This is a very informative & educational posting Captain Jimmy  O0 .....thank you

"Many years ago British and Europen ships  had side rudders ( like Viking ships) not rudders hung on the stern like today  the rudder was hung on the right hand quarter and this was known as the steer board side of the ship over the centuries it got corrupted to starboard side ... because seaman did not wish to damage the rudder they used to tie up in harbour and lay along side on the opposite side and this was called the layaboard side --- It became corrupted to larboard side and some time in the 16th /17th century it became the port side  (the side to be to the port or harbour) as a point of interest most modern single screw ships still prefer to go port side too as the transverse thrust of the propeller aids them to do it"

In our Paddleducks web site we have random opening images & one is of the same medival vessel with the rudder on the STDB side

I will ask our new PD controller/moderators if we can get access to the PD random opening images [files] ... & provide this back.......Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2011, 08:20:45 pm »

Derek
 the stern hung rudder is a bit of artistic license on my part and also to make the ship hander as I have tried side rudders before (If you are on the Stb'd tack and heeled over the side rudder is almost out of the water so very poor control ) Any way my argument is that the builder of this mighty vessel used a stern hung rudder ( Me) and so far nobody can prove that they were not in use at the time of this ship .. {:-{...The first account of a stern rudder is on a Medieval coin but how long were they in use before this coin was minted. Nobody knows, so maybe I am historically correct--- :}  :-))
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »

Derek
 Any Info you can give would be gratefully received, I think this is an area of model boating that is neglected because there are not a lot of kits or Evan plans of this time .
 For myself I think this is great as no one can say for sure that I'm wrong and it gives me a great deal of freedom and as I don't often build to plans and haven't built a kit in donkey's years ----well---it's building to pictures, paintings, sketches and ideas  that suite's my quirky way of building So any info from you or P.D. would be welcome.
  Freebooter.
Kings Lynn

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2011, 10:41:33 pm »

How is this Jimmy?.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:42 pm »

...the stern hung rudder is a bit of artistic license on my part

Not sure it is, Jimmy.

I've read a lot about ships of the 13th century - it's easy, 'cos there's there's not much to read! - and what you find is:

Cogges (cogs) like the Bremen one, always have stern rudders, but they're the ships of the Hanseatic League, always portrayed with straight stems, and date from around the 1250s in the Low Countries and onwards. Sharp bilges, clinker sides but carvel floors.

Nefs, like yours, are the "traditional" Viking-inspired clinker craft craft of England in the earlier 13th century, growing fore-castles and aft-castles over time, and they have - from the evidence of wax seals - side rudders initially, or stern rudders from about 1250 onwards. Now, it's clear that many of these seals are used to portray the "ancient" sea-faring nature and tradition of the ports they represent, so it may be that side rudders, which had presumably died a death in the early 13th century, are viewed as "time-honoured" and therefore worthy of representing - even though the stern rudder might have been in "constantly daily use".

I'll post a few seal images if there's any interest?!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.