Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Medieval Warship Resurrected  (Read 33998 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Midieval Warship Resurrected
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2011, 07:06:42 am »

Andy
  Thanks for the offer.I would very much like to see them...Cheeky women .. one of my Granddaughters just came skipping in and ask what i was doing when I told her she blithely said thats not as old as you granddad ( she's not quite 4 yet) and skipped out again.....Grrrrr!!!

Derek
Neat little craft ...Sort of a barge with paddle wheels... Any plans to build it ...Keep you out of mischief for a month or two... {:-{  :}  :-))
 Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2011, 08:16:16 am »

Captain Jimmy  >>:-( the image portrays more  :o ...it has been a number of years since I studied the image ...... >:-o

1. the souls on the quarter deck appear as mere covered skeletons
2. there is a bird above the souls in the foredeck....is the bird offering a twig of life?

To me this deSchelde vessel image is depicted as a death ship.......... with a STDB rudder  :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

LarryW

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2011, 11:01:31 am »

HI JIMMY , just back holiday on I. O .W nice break , so just caught up with link i see  you screwed a lead ballest as temp keel , does this work or would you prefer a extended keel
    ballest weight ,, ??.........  NICE MODEL BY THE WAY .............LARRY     :-))

black rose keel     NOT HAPPY WITH SET UP,,,, {:-{

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:29 am »

Larry
I'm still in the test stages we managed to get those few snaps but it was too gusty for a real sail but I think I will need another half a Pound of lead and will have to reinstate the extention on the rudder as she was very slow to answer the helm ....I don't want to bolt on a big keel as this could have a detrimental effect ( this sort of hull is actually a planing hull "not like a motor boat"the lands of the planks (over lap) tend to trap air under the hull and lubricate it allowing the hull too go faster than normal (this is a well known phenomenon on Replica Viking Ships which often reach speeds of 16, 17 or 18 kts) and they also help to steady the vessel. I have sailed on 3 or 4 of the long ships in Norway and they are very slippery, I have also sailed on a Sixeering a traditional lug rigged Shetland fishing boat (6 oared clinker 30 foot open boat) she sailed so fast the lee rail was often 8" to 10" below the surface of the water but none came on board because of the speed. The trouble is if you put too large a keel on a vessel the sideways movement can make the heeling angle worse this is why a lot of model racing boats have long narrow keels with the weight right at the bottom ,so they have the righting lever but not the water pressure on the keel.
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2011, 11:59:33 am »

Derek
  Are we looking at the same picture??? This paddle steamer's rudder to me seems to be hung on the stern post (the way the picture is done the curve leading to the stern post is not defined enough on the Stb'd side but the port side of the stern looks better ,...I can't see a bird up forward just a flag on the jack staff
  and the figures on the after deck 'a bit thin perhaps but skeletons I think it is just the stile the painter used. mind you when I blew the picture up it wasn't very clear. But I don't beleve that any steam boats were ever built with a side rudder ---But could be wrong.
Thanks very much  for showing it to me.
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:53 pm »

In spite of the near gale this morning I managed to get some photos of her sailing ... for the Hawkeyed members , yes she has a safety-line made fast, the wind was 13 to 16 mph gusting 28 to 32mph and even sailing in the Lee of the bank (About 5 or 6 foot off) it was too risky to sail untethered.
Jimmy

Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2011, 08:43:41 pm »

HI JIMMY  what a nice model you are a ace , the tether line is agood idea , for those hart stoping moments,  {-).....LARRY....

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »

Had a few min's sail at Wicksteed with her but couldn't get any photos as the wind was too strong and she almost took off, someone said she was almost as fast as one of the fast electrics but looked better she was on a plane for a min or two... Good job I put the rudder extension on or I would never have been able to steer her
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »

Back on the home lake W.x NE'ly 1 to 2

Handling  well but have a small persistant leak
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Medieval Warship Resurrected
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2011, 11:42:42 pm »

Check Yachts & sail  R&D , Brigantine Freebooter for tip's on ginger work
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

brianB6

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2011, 05:23:12 am »

Thanks Peter  :-))

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:38 am »

Brian 86.... Who's Peter ???
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

brianB6

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2011, 06:45:20 am »

Peter Fitness, our Ozzie moderator  <*< who corrected the spelling of the title of this post at my request, since the old spelling was getting at me.   >>:-(

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2011, 08:45:01 pm »

Oh well , Your not the first person who told me I can't spell... O0 my wife and daughters are allways telling me about it   {:-{ But mind you the spell check can't spell either
 Freebooter  :-))  O0
Kings Lynn

brianB6

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »

I agree about the spell checker.
In the words from "My Fair Lady" - 'English'    "The Americans have not spoken it for years"

LarryW

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:47 am »

hi JIMMY , who  cares how you spell , have seen the mobile texting the kids send,
      i can under stand what you send , and it the best topic on the site i hope you are entered in maymer of the year ........larry... :-)  :-))  O0  ;))

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2011, 01:54:54 pm »

Larry
  Don't tell any one... maybe I'll slip through the net .... Martin has already put me on photo of the month --Again-- I'll be ducking and weaving for weeks....

Hows the "Rose" comming on ? Was that suggestion I made any help? I,ve replaced the fore yard I broke last week (I do more damage in transport than I ever do sailing)
  and put a bit of thin walled brass tube around the end of the new yard  and drilled it for the eyelets for the lifts, braces and bow lines "5 hrs work because 5 seconds laps of concentration....Grrrr
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »

HI JIMMY ,what bad luck, rose still in dry dock , its garden time,  ....and awaiting for a plan of Thames sailing barge,
  for next model,  and trying to sell some models to make space and prop up the building fund........ :-)) ..LARRY...

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »

Larry
I know what you mean my work shop is full Mostly old and battered (Like Me ) But they sail well ...but they nest like pigeons in the rafters of my work shop ...I keep saying I wont build anymore ----but then someone offers me a hull, a photograph or a picture  and its off to the races --------  sorry I was so long answering this but I'm having problems getting in the Mayhem wed site at times  sometimes it can take me up to an Hr. for limited access
 Right I off for my Tea
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »

HI JIMMY NICE TO FROM YOU at least you answer your mail ,   not like some of the others, send to to busy building and sailing i suppose  {-)

having a sale of some i my motor models to get some building room,   also having bash at THAMES SAILING BARGE KITTY. see snaps .    cheers LARRY.....

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2011, 06:40:33 pm »

Shore! Didn't me pour old muther hammer into this great knot of Oak I call a head that if someone took the trouble to write you a note or send a letter it was only polite to reply ... I know politeness seams to be very low on many peoples agenda ...but it still rates high on mine
 I've seen 1 or 2 of those Kitty Barges and it looks a tidy little model  but as a very good friend of mine all ways says," it sails like a barge because it is a barge and a leopard can't change its spots" Anyway I've sailed on some real barges And I've never seen a black flag at the peak of any of them so they are no use to me.
Jimmy

Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »

HI JIMMY , THANKS FOR PICTURES,,,       i feel a another pirate moment coming on , when i get rid of sale boat yard,.......LARRY....

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »

Go for it Heres some more Barge Pix

You will have to take some pix of the Rose next time you sail her
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02:55 pm »

THANK YOU JIMMY,     any tips on sail making? that's easy and cheap.....black rose is in dock at the moment LARRY

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2011, 12:45:25 pm »

Thanks To Martin  and Tiger Tiger I think I am on line again
 Larry did you get the Bumff on sail making and materials I sent
Jimmy
Kings Lynn
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.