Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first time RC modeller.  (Read 1753 times)

fatboysink

first time RC modeller.
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:02 pm »

Hi,

I have been making Models since i was young and have been toying with the idea for several years to build an RC boat. I think it was moving to house that is only 1 row of houses from a lake which finally swung it for me.

I have static kit of the Yamato in 1/350 scale i have been saving for such an occassion. I wonder what are the inherent difficulties in converting it into a vessel capable of sailing on a usually calm sheltered lake.

my main concerns are:

waterproofing the hull to stop instant sinking.
stoping the ingress of water whilst under way to prevent slow painful sinking.
The installation of RC, making holes in hull for propulsion(leading to stealth sinking)
I have no experience of any kind of RC installions and would appreciate pointing to the absolute idiots guide(hmm this seems to lack the fear of sinking)

any help or advice at all will me hugely appreciated.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: first time RC modeller.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:03:33 pm »

my main concerns are:

waterproofing the hull to stop instant sinking.
stoping the ingress of water whilst under way to prevent slow painful sinking.
The installation of RC, making holes in hull for propulsion(leading to stealth sinking)
I have no experience of any kind of RC installions and would appreciate pointing to the absolute idiots guide(hmm this seems to lack the fear of sinking)

to answer your questions

1 - you stop it sinking by waterproofing the hull and adding polystyrene foam as buoyancy.

2 - if you can't easily waterproof a hatch you might elect to seal everything inside and just have a single drain hole and a socket to recharge the batteries...

3 - you can disassemble cheap servos and use their motors (still attached to the electronics) as drive motors. This makes for a very light installation.

4 - an idiots guide to R/Cing would probably say 'Don't start with that kind of plastic model...". I'm not too sure how big it will be, but if it's around 2ft with a beam of 4" it is rather small, hard to waterproof, hard to ballast to the correct waterline, probably won't look that realistic, will lose all the detail in short order due to handling, and will probably be pooped by a ripple. Small models of this kind are best attempted once you have a bit of experience. But, having said that, there are some quite good models on youtube....

How important is accuracy under the waterline? It would easier to make a single propeller model with a very unscale prop...

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »

everything you need to know in one link ...

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23714.0

LarryW

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »

hi fat boysink ,  i have been modeling just over a year now, picked good advice and tips on mayhem'.
   also joined a local model boat club will get a lot advice some good some bad but all the leaning curve.
    have a go at simple build kit , to start theres a lot on line  O0   LARRY W.....

fatboysink

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:14:52 pm »

Thank you all for your advice.

this is really just a trial run to get the feel for the basics, and see where the pitfalls are not desperately concerned about how authentic it will be, It really just a gentle first step. trying to understand what gos where and the best order to build thing in.

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:28 pm »

get started and start learning and stay with mayhem........larry

have a go at a BOBBY easy build from a free plan  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.