Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove over spray on GRP hull  (Read 5130 times)

Bluechrisp

How to remove over spray on GRP hull
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:14 am »

Morning all,

After completing my first paint job and very nice too, I found I had some black spray paint come throught the paper, on to the red. so like a charging bull I masked up a small area and painted over it, during the night I cursed myself, as it would leave lines, and in the morning I found a diamond shape, plus a slightly different shade of  the same colour  {:-{

My question is should I lightly sand this down and away and then respray the lower (below waterline) area of the hull or put in the bin or perform a Viking bural and start again, morale is slowly slipping away.  <:(

many thanks

Chris

Capt Podge

Re: How to remove over spray on GRP hull
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:29:18 am »

Hi Chris,

Yep, I've been in that situation a few times !!  >>:-(

Best solution for me was to rub down with fine grade wet 'n dry, mask off waterline using low tack Tamiya masking tape (I prefer the 10mm) then cover all the upper half with kitchen roll or newspaper or whatever. This can be stuck down with ordinary masking tape.

When the paint is almost dry, I remove the paper then SLOWELY peel away the Tamiya tape so that it doesn't "pull away" the fresh paint. If the tape is left on too long there is a danger of the paint "flaking away"  :((

When the paint is fully dried you can mask off below the waterline in the same way and repeat the process for the upper half.

...works for me anyway.  O0

Regards,

Ray.

Bluechrisp

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:56:32 pm »

Hello Ray,

I've got myself some wet and dry, I'll have a bash on monday.  <*< I've used tamiya tape on this tug, very good lines, then like you say, mask up and respray.

Cheers

Chris

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:04 pm »

To prevent the paint bleeding through the paper again use kitchen foil instead !!   :-))

Not only is it inperviouse to paint you can also mould it  to shape against the hull . For BIG hulls use turkey size foil rolls. Also don't buy the expensive stuff, go to your local "everything a pound" type shop.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:00:08 am »

To prevent the paint bleeding through the paper again use kitchen foil instead !!   :-))

Not only is it inperviouse to paint you can also mould it  to shape against the hull . For BIG hulls use turkey size foil rolls. Also don't buy the expensive stuff, go to your local "everything a pound" type shop.

Mike

Now THERE'S a handy hint ! Thanks Mike...........Mike

class37

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:36:52 pm »

rather than using wet and dry, I tend to use T-cut.

I find it is less abrasive to the paint surface under the overspray.

cheers

Tutssy

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

Does this not mess up the finish on the paint surface, though, especially if usine on matt paints?

Plus, what about spraying varnish on top?

Regards  Al

class37

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:40 pm »

I've not had any problems myself with it, as the idea is to take the overspray off, and not touch the base coat.

a good clean with water/washing up liquid removes any remaining T-cut, then dry off and varnish.

cheers

alan

Bluechrisp

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:05:18 pm »

Hello,

Update for you all, I have sanded down the areas I needed to do plus afew I found ie around the bow thruster, now for the bad bit, I used some glass paper on some on the bottom, but diddn't wet n dry them down, now on painting it upright, i didn't see them, now on turning it over it looks like a ploughed field...

Now total loss of morale and about to bin it <:(  I suppose I better break out some Wet N Dry and see what happens Bah.

On the positive side, another trip to Halfords, I better write these excellent helpful tips, before I go. So many thanks one and all.  :-))

Chris

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:38 pm »

cover the scratched area with a thin layer of filler and use fine grit wet and dry 1000-1200  wet and rub back. Takes a bit of time but should save the hull.
Don't Assume Check

Bluechrisp

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay been away and then came back and I've had to clear the computer, as it was dead...

I have some P38 filler, I will have a bash soon, just having a break, with summer coming up and going away.

Many thanks again.  :-))

Chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:26:39 pm »

A good tip to remove over spray is to use what's called a car detailing clay bar. If you are into 'detailing' your car as opposed to just washing it, you'll know what a clay bar is. Its a little expensive to buy so if you know someone who details their car, ask them for some that they were going to throw away.

Basically detailing clay is like a sticky putty. You use a lubricate or water on the car body then rub the clay back and forth to remove tar spots, brake dust and automotive spray paint! It should work on ordinary enamel or acrylic paint on a hull.

The area to be clayed should be ket wet. Wet your hands to stop the clay sticking to your fingers. With light pressure, move the clay back and forth across the area of overspray. if the clay 'grabs' the hull, add more water to the area. As the overspray comes off, fold the clay onto itself several times, apply more water and rub again. when you've finished, the overspray should be removed and the remaining paint will feel super smooth to the touch.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:47 pm »

To stop overspray in  the first place you can use a clear varnish (Matt or gloss depending on the paint finish) on the joint line of the tape which if it does creep it will be clear and not affect the next colour being sprayed.
If it is in the final coat I usually spray/paint the hull in clear varnish so a little T-Cut removes any lip that might be there.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.