Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballast for boats  (Read 7141 times)

wallace

Ballast for boats
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:56:20 pm »

Just found out that the fishing shops do not do Lead weights anymore due to the lead killing the birds etc
can anyone tell me where i can get lead weights ie small balls  to weigh the boat down
          wallace

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ballast for boats
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 07:37:41 pm »

Do you know anyone who shoots an airifle the used pellet are ideal. Your local tyre fitter will always have a
box of old weights. My local fishing shop still sells weights. Not sure what metal now used but still heavy.
A trip to your local scrapper will result in roofing lead. Probably off local Church roof. Think of it as recycling
John.

ACTion

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:48:09 pm »

Yiou can buy a roll of lead flashing strip at any builders' merchants. Failing that, £1 '550' motors and £5 Chinese ESCs off E-Bay are good for little else but ballast............%)
(Head down and watch for the incoming missiles now, Dave..................)
DM

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:16:06 pm »

Chinese esc not even very good for ballest as made from Poor Alloy. Do come in pretty colours though a nice
blue, yellow, red  etc. Stick to British.John.

ACTion

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »

Stick to British.John.
Now there's a good idea!  8)
DM

exvtop

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:08 am »

Try http://www.leadshotballast.co.uk/
Don't have any personal experience of them.

Mike

Tutssy

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »

Try looking for a SEA tackle shop.  They use bigger weights.  O0

Al

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »

I have been using the white metal fishing weights for ballast, since lead is no longer available, you can get in many weights, shapes and sizes even in shot form, its not cheap but its all thats available to me locally.

class37

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:01:41 pm »

another source, look in local charity shops for fitness sets, the sort in a blown plastic case with small dumbells etc.

some have ankle and wrist bands which have shot in bags inside them. used to make muscles work harder, but when cut open provide a supply of small shot for ballast.

I got an Argos set from a local charity shop for a quid. plent of weight !

cheers

alan

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:06:36 am »

I just took the lead shot ballast from my Loyal Volunteer out of Ziploc bags and sealed it up in vacuum sealed bags.  I plan on re-installing it on Velcro patches in the boat.  In the Ziploc bags it was kinda loose, and shifted a bit.

The local fishing store and Walmart still sell lead shot, in small plastic bottles that look like they are made for ketchup.  Don't recall what I paid for mine.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

Try http://www.leadshotballast.co.uk/
Don't have any personal experience of them.

Mike

I've used them a couple of times. No problems and pretty fast delivery. It pays to buy larger quantities as the shipping cost is the same from 2kg to 10kg. The pellets are easier to handle than the shot - seems to be lead wire chopped up.

Barrie

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »

most gun shops are able to supply shot for filling cartridges , or try contacting your local metal recycling depot , both sims metals and european metal recycling ( emr ) have nationwide depots !

wallace

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:54 am »

A big thank you to you all for your help I'm all soreted now ordered from the firm on-line lead shot
                     wallace

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:46 am »

try going along to your local tyre fitting garage............the ballance weights that they take off the rims can be bought from them by the bucket load for a few pence, and fit nicely into the bottom of a hull.
used it for years and still not reached the bottom of the bucket.
neil.

ayrshire andy

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:09:44 pm »

While I sympathise with our need for a dense, cheap easily workable/available ballast, with my ex-analytical chemist's hat on may I add a word of caution?

Lead is a toxic heavy metal known to interfere with the bodily processes, organs and nervous system development of those who are exposed to it (eg by skin contact, ingestion of contaminated food or tobacco use etc.), leading to the long-term development of learning and behavioural/cognitive disorders, particularly in the young.As with many toxins, the development of symptoms will be dependent on the duration and intensity of one's exposure to materials containing it, old lead-containing paint and paint chips being a common hazard, as are our beloved lead fishing weights which have poisoned and killed off so many of our swans.

With the above in mind, the wearing and subsequent disposal of a few pairs of latex/surgeons gloves whilst handling it would be a vital and effective first precaution if one is still prepared to take the risk of using it, and its disposal as a special waste to eg the scrap merchant when a model containing it has reached the end of its life would be the responsible thing to do.

But what to replace it with? Copper is quite dense with a Specific Gravity of 8.9, not as good as lead at 11.34 I know, brass weighs in at 8.38, with steel or iron at about 7.8ish.Or for the financially unchallenged, there's gold at a hefty 19.3...must go that will be the chaps from the Fishing Weight Marketing Board at the door, come to make me an offer I can't refuse!

ayrshire andy

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »

Hi folks,

Me again, reading fellow mayhemer Alan Coulson's post of Oct. 2010 made me realise that I had missed a trick: just fit more weighty NiCd or NiMH cells and get some more lovely amp hours and power/running time for your hard-earned and avoid all that nasty messing around with toxic heavy metals in their naked state...much more civilised and easy when you know how... even works for sailboats which can now have radio battery life which could last for days? Thanks Alan!

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »

I use shot gun shot which works really well for tucking into corners.
As far as lead being a health hazard, with all due respect, I don't think any of us are handling this stuff to the extent it going to cause us any harm. I stand a better chance of getting hit by a driver "who didn't see me" while on my motor bike than any deleterious happenings as result of using lead. The results of lead contamination may be quite true, but they have to be put into the perspective of how much is used and how often.

John

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 07:18:04 am »

a good source of shot and cheap is scuba diving shops found on flee bay in kilo pouches   slug

rktompsett

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »

I'm looking for any ideas as to ballast pumping system, for a large scale (HO 1:87.1) surface ship, 300# (136kG) at the water line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.