Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Koolama Incident  (Read 3196 times)

chingdevil

The Koolama Incident
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »

mikearace

Re: The Koolama Incident
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »

Well there was a real incident as described and is listed in many sources but whoever posted this claims that 'The only mutiny on an Australian ship in around 400 years'.  As the Australian nation didnt become a fedaration until the turn of the 20th century, 1901 I think, its hard to see where the 400 years of there being an Australian Merchant or Military Navy comes from?  Or am I missing something?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:54:56 pm »

Well there was a real incident as described and is listed in many sources but whoever posted this claims that 'The only mutiny on an Australian ship in around 400 years'.  As the Australian nation didnt become a fedaration until the turn of the 20th century, 1901 I think, its hard to see where the 400 years of there being an Australian Merchant or Military Navy comes from?  Or am I missing something?

Perhaps the poster is confusing the Mutiny on the "Bounty" as Australian?

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »

Well if the Documentary described the incident accurately it did seem strange that in wartime nobody was censured over the affair,
also rather peculiar that on completion of repairs she just sailed off to Wyndham without giving the rest of the crew left ashore
a chance to return to the ship. To my way of thinking the only ones who really shone in the whole affair were the engineers who grafted
to get in seaworthy and the skipper for his navigational/pilotage skills.  Too much I think has been lost in the mists of time.
Geoff

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:28:46 am »

Perhaps the poster is confusing the Mutiny on the "Bounty" as Australian?

Or perhaps he meant that in 400 years of 'Australian history', it was the only recorded mutiny.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:15:33 am »

Seeing that Australia was only discovered by Captain James Cook in 1770, and settled by English people in 1788, we don't have 400 years of European history. The Aborigines, on the other hand, are said to have been here anywhere from 40,000 to 60,000 years, and possibly as many as 100,000 years, depending on who you believe.

Peter.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:34 am »

Ah history , written by the winners !  Wasnt there a Dutchman somewhere in the discovery of Australia or does Van Diemens Land not count ? :D
..well can you land on this?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:24 am »

Ah history , written by the winners !  Wasnt there a Dutchman somewhere in the discovery of Australia or does Van Diemens Land not count ? :D

The tassies (Tasmanians) will love you.

Tasmania the island state of Australia, was named Van Diemens land at one early stage.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:34:12 am »

I meant pre Cook ! %% wasnt Abel Tasman there before Cook ?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:01:53 am »

1603–1659

Abel Tasman

Attributed to Jacob Gerritsz Cuyp

National Library of Australia

The VOC (Dutch East India Company) captain who put Australia well and truly on the map was Abel Tasman, the best known of all Dutch mariners. Born in Lutjegast in 1603, Tasman was by 1642 a most skilled and experienced sailor, whose ability had been proven in hard and dangerous service for the VOC.

Tasman commanded two voyages to Australia in 1642–43 and 1644. In the first, he charted Van Diemen's Land, New Zealand, Tonga and Fiji. A year later he mapped the north coast from east to west.

The VOC, however, considered Tasman's voyages unsuccessful. The real motive of the voyages was the hope of finding wealthy lands in the south and east. He had found neither new markets nor a new shipping route to the Pacific.

The first voyage, in 1642, took Tasman across the Indian Ocean and beneath the Australian continent to the shores of Tasmania, and then to New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji and north to New Guinea. Tasman proved beyond doubt that Australia did not belong to a larger southern continent stretching to the South Pole.

His second voyage traced Australia's north and west coastline all the way from Cape York to Shark Bay, but failed to find Torres Strait.

Following Tasman's voyages, the Dutch abandoned the use of Zuid Landt (South Land) and Terra Australis, and began calling the land New Holland.

Read more information about Tasman, translated from the Dutch National Archives website.

It's all Dutch to me  O0 O0 O0

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:35:23 am »

Thank you, see how easy it is to get diverted off topic {-) {-) {-)  Peter "settled by the English" >>:-(  I`m sure you meant "the British"

Lord Bungle

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 12:14:52 pm »

plugger

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 05:29:19 am »

Earliest records agree with you - William Janszoon was around in 1608.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 05:45:11 am »

Often there are errors in translation particularly when there is not a corresponding alphabet letter for letter
 %) %) %) %) %)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 06:04:48 am »

Thank you, see how easy it is to get diverted off topic {-) {-) {-)  Peter "settled by the English" >>:-(  I`m sure you meant "the British"

Yes, sorry Duncan, I did mean British, although I think that the early convicts were mainly English, and you're right, it is off topic.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:58:04 am »

There were at least two mutinies during WW2 on Australian Bathurst class corvettes.
Although one was a mistake when the crew refused to go on deck thinking that they were to be made to do more work, whereas the Captain only wanted to congratulate them on a job well done.
The other was more serious but the Navy Board left it up to the Captain to deal with, even though he was the cause of the mutiny.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:26 am »

There were at least two mutinies during WW2 on Australian Bathurst class corvettes.
Although one was a mistake when the crew refused to go on deck thinking that they were to be made to do more work, whereas the Captain only wanted to congratulate them on a job well done.
The other was more serious but the Navy Board left it up to the Captain to deal with, even though he was the cause of the mutiny.
Lack of communication and discipline ? ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.