Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob would like some advice on 2 possible first subs  (Read 3092 times)

rouge2

Noob would like some advice on 2 possible first subs
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:36:38 pm »

Hi everyone!

I'm about to take my first step into the RC Submarine world and would like some advice on two possible aproaches to a first sub. My first option would be to  build the HMS Unseen as per Hal Harrisons plans which came free with Marine Modelling Internationals submarine special.

This sub is based on a conventional 60's era hunter kille  made  mostly of plywood and sheet styrene and has a central waterproofed box with a clear plastic top and layer of grease to keep the rc components housed and safe.  Im quite attracted to this idea because of the low cost of the materials and my familiarity with them as most of my boat modeling experience is simple balsa contruction boats. Also although it is a dynamic diver it does alow for control of the front hydroplanes with the use of 3 chanel RC outfit.

Very similar to this:

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=29831

Im also considering the Robbe sea wolfV2. Although more expensive i assume it would be a quicker/easier build and would be more robust under the water. Also the Sea Wolf is more the design of sub im after being based on a modern nuclear sub. I would have to upgrade later to make the front hydroplanes operational as the kit and Rc components for the out of the box set up would take up all my budget. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that my only experience of plastic boats/subs are the non functional static display kits, and  I know very little about how to construct and waterproof plastic RC boats.

So what would you guys recomend? if anyone has experience with either of these builds your input would be greatley apreciated. I have had the opinions of a couple of people as i posted a WTB request for a robbe sea wolf on this forum a couple of days ago.

Anyhow look forward to all your input

Simon :-)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Noob would like some advice on 2 possible first subs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:23:17 pm »

The Robbe boat is better in every way. It does cost more though 9but worth it). Roy mentioned today at Brockwell that he new someone selling a Robbe Seawolf for not very much, and he's from Nottingham too. Maybe he will chime in.

rouge2

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:41 am »

Thank's for the advice Mankster,

I think in all honesty i'll end up going for the Sea Wolf, i thought it wise to check with some more experienced submariners such as yourself to make a more informed decision.

Roy mentioned today at Brockwell that he new someone selling a Robbe Seawolf for not very much, and he's from Nottingham too. Maybe he will chime in.

Taht would be really helpful, is there a way i can contact Roy on this forum?

Davy1

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »

Hi Simon,

Have a look at these too. (I don't know if they are sold yet but Alf can be contacted on the Assoc Model Submariners Facebook site. I also don't know if they are only for AMS members. I don't think so and anyway £12 annual subscription will not break the bank!)

The Sheerline Trafalger may seem to bust your budget but this is an early unbuilt complete kit at a substantial reduction.

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t304-items-for-sale

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »

Just avoid the Krick Type VII.

Davy1

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:47:00 am »

Right.

The subs I have mentioned are probably worth having a look at because of the circumstances in which they have become available.

( I don't have any personal involvement / axe to grind  etc.)

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:17 am »

The Sheerline Trafalgar is an excellent boat, all of the Sheerline boats are well engineered and built to take a hammering. If you check the boat over carefully, and don't cut any corners when building and maintaining the boat, you're almost guaranteed a reliable sail.

In addition from what I've seen and heard, Chris gives superb customer service, and seems happy to help people even if they've purchased a kit secondhand. We get several of these boats at the Dive-in events, and generally they run and run until the battery pack goes flat.

Regarding the Krick Type VII, I've seen two of these at the Dive-in events, one had issues which required modification by the builder, the other sank on it's first outing and had to be retrieved; the resulting flooding killed a battery pack and ESC. I've looked at this boat quite carefully, and I just don't like it. A more experienced builder could iron out the wrinkles in this boat, but a beginner may get into trouble.

The Nikko Seawolf isn't a bad buy for fifty quid and they're very easy to sell on if in good nick- a lot of people buy them just for spares. Also it's small, and thus easy to transport and good for the small pools you find at shows these days.

xilsoe

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:34 am »

I don't know if it is any help, but here is a video of my Robbe Sea wolf V2: http://share.ovi.com/media/xilsoe.Video/xilsoe.10006

Jørgen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.