Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ark Royal already listed for sale...  (Read 6983 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Ark Royal already listed for sale...
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:24 pm »

Carrier HMS Ark Royal put up for auction on MoD website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12883511
The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal is up for sale on the Ministry of Defence's auction website.

The Royal Navy's former flagship was decommissioned two weeks ago after 25 years in service as part of the government's defence budget review.

Proposals for it include turning it into a commercial heliport, a base for security personnel during the London Olympics, or a school and nightclub.

But it could also be sold for scrap like its sister ship HMS Invincible.

Ark Royal's operations have included leading the UK's naval forces during the invasion of Iraq.

The current ship is the fifth vessel to carry the name - the first saw battle in 1588 against the Spanish Armada.
Destroyers

Interested bidders are being invited to view Ark Royal at her home port, Portsmouth Naval Base, on 3 and 4 May.

Before they can attend, they must submit an outline of their "intentions regarding the vessel" to the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

The aircraft carrier is listed on the edisposals.com website, which is run by the MoD's Defence Equipment and Support arm.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The UK continues to have access to a range of international bases which allow us to project our air power”

End Quote Spokesman Ministry of Defence

It has a budget of £14bn to equip the UK's armed forces with everything from aircraft to clothing, and in order to supplement that, it regularly sells off kit that is no longer needed.

Also on sale currently are three Type-42 destroyers - HMS Exeter, HMS Southampton and HMS Nottingham.

The decision to bring forward Ark Royal's decommissioning by several years has been criticised because it leaves the Navy without the capacity to launch fixed-wing aircraft until replacements come into service at the end of the decade.

But the MoD said scrapping the vessel early would ensure "an enhanced carrier strike capability in the future".

"Until then, the UK continues to have access to a range of international bases which allow us to project our air power around the world," a spokesman added.

He also said the MoD was determined to ensure the best possible return for the taxpayer when disposing of equipment.

HMS Invincible, which saw action during the Falklands War, was towed away last week to a scrapyard in Turkey.

Bidders have until 1000 BST on 13 June to put their tenders forward for Ark Royal.

Davie Tait,
Scotland

brianB6

Re: HMS Ark Royal already listed for sale...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »

From the same source:-
Also on sale currently are three Type-42 destroyers - HMS Exeter, HMS Southampton and HMS Nottingham.
Does anyone have one of those SF devices for shrinking.
If reduced down to 1:72 scale, no one else would come close in a scale competition.  %%

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:06:22 am »

They certainly aren't wasting any time getting rid of Ark - not giving themselves any wriggle room if there is an emergency;
still I suppose the Sea Harriers are just so much scrap metal by now and the GR9s will be going the same way if they haven't
already gone.  This lot never learnt the Boy Scout motto.

Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:18:38 am »

Instinctive reaction, get rid of it quick before somebody changes their mind. They know they've made a bad decision so they want it all swept under the carpet as soon as..

It's very clear that there has been a great deal of public unease about the decision to scrap the Ark and with the French parading a carrier off Libya, the whole business has just got too embarrassing.

To the politicians, saving face is much more important than doing the right thing. Out of sight, out of mind.

Colin

class37

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:30 am »

come on now, these were carefully thought out decisions.

after all, which is more responsive and efficient, a couple of squadrons of harriers sitting just off the coast on a carrier, able to be over a target in a matter of minutes, or some tornadoes flying from hundreds of miles away, and whose crews have just had their redundancy notices.

you just don't understand the finer points !!

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:42:06 am »

You are right- I just don't think I'd make a politician - Even SWMBO says I occasionally admit when I'm wrong

Geoff

fatcat123

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:14 am »

I think we should all chip in as 'Mayhem' and buy her. Martin can be the guarantor  :-))

Seriously though, its a sad sight to see Ark on there. it deserves better. I hope someone in the UK buys it and keeps it in the UK. Would be a shame to see her go abroad and be turned into a hotel or something.

Dan

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:57 am »

I am guessing that is very high grade steel.
I doubt if a hotel is on the cards.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:19 am »

As Mike Critchley (Editor Warship world) said yesterday, money will talk - best return we could get is to sell Ark as a going concern to a foreign navy,
after that all the other schemes are going to need a lot of money thrown into the pot to be viable. He believed that though she is elderly there are several
years of operational life left in the hull, but he could not see which navy was in need of such a ship at the present time.
He believes the hurry to sell Ark is to get it out of sight out of mind to alleviate the governments embarrassment in decommissioning her prematurely.
I think you have to face it that a shipbreaking yard is a real possiblility - even if it is used for security for the Olympics it will probably go shortly after the
Games.

Really sorry to see it go

Geoff

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:33 am »

... not see which navy was in need of such a ship at the present time.

Libyan??

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:27 pm »

Only the gulf states that can afford to fill the tanks up.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »

If I was still in the Andrew
I would be putting a couple of
extra welds on my bunk in case it gets
sold while I'm on watch  <*< <*<

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

As an aside, but on topic, this may interest some.
It is about the new policy on US old carriers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42474098/ns/us_news-environment

j22mdr

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »

ark royal was moved yesterday so possible buyers could view and then she was moved back today

Dave13

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »

It would be nice if the Ark is to be scraped if it was scraped in this country as it would create lots of jobs :-)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

latest "news" on her

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13642405

Divers bid to sink Portsmouth-based Ark Royal off Devon

A Devon-based diver is bidding to sink the former Royal Navy flagship Ark Royal off the south coast and turn it into a diving wreck.

James Dodrell is leading a bid for the Portsmouth-based aircraft carrier so it can be "laid to rest" off Torbay.

Mr Dodrell admitted the plan hinged on obtaining permission from the Crown Estate.

He estimated the scheme would cost in the region of £3m to 5m.

The vessel, decommissioned in March after 25 years service, was put up for sale on the MoD auction website.

Bidders were given tours of the vessel in Portsmouth Naval Base at the start of May.

Mr Dodrell told the BBC: "Instead of cutting her up for scrap, she would become home to hundreds of marine animals.

"We have approached the Crown and the answer is still pending."
'Bidding war'

Mr Dodrell said the hundreds of doors on the vessel would have to be removed for safety reasons. The work needed, including towing it to Torbay and sinking it could cost in the region of £1m.

He guessed the vessel would be sold for between £2m and £4m and, if his bid was successful, the money would be raised through charitable donations.

He said: "Its a bidding war and it's not just the man with the most money, it's the man who has the right idea."

Mr Dodrell pointed to the success of the former HMS Scylla, a Royal Navy frigate which was sunk off Cornwall in 2004. The site is home to about 250 species and can accommodate up to 300 divers a day.

Defence chiefs are reportedly backing a plan to use the Ark Royal as a floating commercial helipad in London.

Other proposals include turning it into a school, a nightclub or a base for security personnel during the Olympics.

But it could also be sold for scrap like its sister ship, Invincible.

Bidders have until 1000 BST on 13 June to submit their tenders.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:24 pm »

Don't we already have an Ark Royal on the seabed playing host to the fishes?

Colin

richtea

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »

Don't we already have an Ark Royal on the seabed playing host to the fishes?

Colin

Yes but we didn't put it there intentionally,
Those sneaky Germans stuck a tin fish in her without asking permission.  :embarrassed:

Mr Sam

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 07:42:47 pm »

slightly related...  %)

last flight of the harrier by Sam Tait, on Flickr

i popped down to Oakham to see the harriers come in for the last time 15/12/10

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.