Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing Kort nozzles  (Read 2034 times)

sailorboy61

Securing Kort nozzles
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:33:31 pm »

Just getting to do a bit more on my tug boat it having sat out the winter so far.

Am using MMB korts, and while doing a dry run occured to me that should the servo tiller arm grubscrew come undone, there is a possibility of the nozzle dropping and a) damaging the prop, or b) worst case dropping off totally.

Is this a bit paranoid, has anyone had such an experience, or is there some other securing I have not come across?

Thanks

wibplus

Re: Securing Kort nozzles
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »

Hi, if you are concerned about the possibility of losing a nozzle or it just coming loose, then put a small "o" ring on the shaft below the tiller arm. If the tiller works loose, the "o" ring will stop the nozzle from dropping out of the hull.   :-))
Hope this helps.   :-)

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:11:09 pm »

If the tiller does become loose then Kort will drop onto the prop but will not fall off
there WILL be a LOT of noise and you will hear it from a good distance.

Yes I have had it happen and so long as you have the props lined up in the Kort correctly there is no way it will fall off. (you will have some strange steering before it finally looses all contact with the tiller arm, then an erratic vessel and then the heart squeezing row from your boat.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:23:24 pm »

You could file a flat on the rod. This will give the grub screw a better grip. You may need a longer grub
screw to prevent the  thread stripping as the screw will project out further leaving less in arm. John. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.