Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: graupner TÖN 12 KRABBE  (Read 2650 times)

darrencuk

graupner TÖN 12 KRABBE
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:40:36 pm »

Hi just wondered if any one could give me any info on graupner models my father has only ever built billings kits and deans marine he says the quality of graupner models r poor. I really like the graupner TÖN 12 KRABBE tho but is it a good kit I no u have to by extras for it but is it already painted because pictures aren't clear thanks

Capt Podge

Re: graupner TÖN 12 KRABBE
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:27 pm »

I built that kit about 12 years ago. It is a fairly straight forward build and, because of it's size, it's easy to handle and easy to store.

However, a word of warning, those nets rigged aloft act like sails ! I found this out on her maiden voyage when I (stupidly) sailed her in a very blustery wind and within 2 minutes she sank.  <:(

Fortunately she was only in a couple of feet of water and about 2 yards from the edge of the lake so I got her back intact.  :embarrassed:

Therefore, if you intend sailing her, I would suggest you modify the rigging so that you can either lower or completely remove the nets.

My TON 12 still has her nets aloft as per the kit but I've stripped out the running gear and she now has a permanent berth on the window ledge of our living room.

On the subject of display. Because she sits in sunlight (on the odd days that we do actually get sunlight) I turn her around on alternative months so that the paint will fade evenly on her hull.  8)

Finally, to answer your query, no, she does not come ready painted.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera and post an image on here in a day or two.

Regards,

Ray.

Cargo

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:24 pm »

In my younger days i tried to build her too but then i accidently run her over. The build so far was straight forward. Its a small vessel so she likes calm conditions. Just like Ray said, keep the nets lower so she behaves a bit better.

darrencuk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »

Ok thank u guys I been having a good look on line today noticed a few models I really like I have £300 to buy a boat with and I have came across a which is nice as well because I purely want a boat I can join a club with and us quite a lot and I have come accross the northlight clyde puffer by caldercraft this seems a real nice model anybody no what these are like and how good they are at making changes as in converting thanks again sorry for all the questions

Cargo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:34:52 pm »

Hi Darren,

the Northlight is a beautiful little vessel but not so easy to build like the Tön12. The GRP hull is sometimes out of shape, the instructions are not allways quite clear. The metal castings vary heavy between very good and rubbish and are very soft. But there are a lot of those white metal fittings who makes for a stunning model, but this requires a lot of more experienced work. She is also a bit top heavy, so she needs some extra weight placed low in the hull. In my opinion not so easy to build.

If you are just a new to the hobby, try at first a boat for beginner. If experienced in modeling work just like sanding, filling, bonding, painting etc. etc. you can try the Northlight. And Puffers are the best...  O0

darrencuk

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:24 am »

Ok thank you I have spoke to dad about a beginer model but last boat he built was 15 years ago so he isn't sure on what is about wondered if you had any ideas thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.