Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: money  (Read 5046 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: money
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:59 am »

Instead of voting on the 'Referendum on the voting system for UK Parliamentary elections' on the 5th of next month, why don't we just have a vote of No Confidence & throw the lot out.

As a "first off", I suggest having a really good think about the problems behind the "first past the post" system and instigating a PR system of one form or another is worth it.

Big time.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »

Totally agree with you Polaris. We may be having Av soon. Dont think it will make things any worse. Worth
a try. John.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »

I think the de-regulation of the banks goes back much further than the last Govt.
Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of the last Govt, but the blame for de-regulation sits squarely on the shoulders of Maggie and Ronnie; although some pundits say that Ronnie inherited the idea from the previous administration.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »

Totally agree with you Polaris. We may be having Av soon. Dont think it will make things any worse. Worth
a try. John.

FWIW, I am more cautious. Changing the voting system is a fundamental change, and we shouldn't be looking at what it will do for current politics - rather we should consider what effect it will have over 50 years or more.

Our current system rewards the person who gets the highest single score. That produces MPs who hold specific positions and try to persuade voters that those positions are right - it encourages argument and debate. It tends to produce the classic British strong single-issue confrontational government - bringing in policies like the Welfare State or the mine closures, with the pendulum swinging the other way after about 10 years.

The proposed system rewards the person who gets over 50% of first and second choice votes. This will produce politicians who avoid any clear-cut positions and go for the middle ground, so as to get votes from all sides. It is likely to encourage consensus politics, where political decisions are taken in committee after a government is elected, rather than having controversial policies decided at General Elections. I suspect it is likely to favour the growth of one central party which will retain power for 30-40 years or longer, as is more common on the Continent. It will certainly work against independents and single-issue MPs. It will also add further encouragement for MPs to say things they do not believe in, while angling for second-choice votes.

And, of course, it will produce odd results, where someone who came second or third on the first count then comes first in the second or subsequent counts... 

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »

Time will tell whats the best system. All i want is a well run Country with honest Politicians ( some hope) I
would wish all parties would stop bickering over who did what and instead all get together to form
workable cohesive plans (some hope) John.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:46 pm »

All i want is a well run Country with honest Politicians....I wish all parties would stop bickering over who did what and instead all get together to form
workable cohesive plans...

I think we have now had ample proof that politicians cannot form workable cohesive plans under any circumstances. What I would like is for politicians to stop taking our money, go away and earn a decent living doing something useful, and leave us alone. We have far too many politicians, far too many plans, and are spending far too much keeping these parasites. But the one thing you will never be able to vote for is fewer politicians....

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:46 pm »

Yes we do have to many politicians. But when have turkeys voted for Christmas? Possibly should have said
headless chickens.For some reason Euro Mps despite being just as trustworthy? As our own Mps do
not seem to get as much bad press. Out of site out of mind.I shamefully have to admit do not know the
name of my euro Mp. We also have the Euro fiasco at our expense of the changing of head quarters.Still
gives the Mps a change of scenery. John.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.