Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Kay Minesweeper  (Read 3753 times)

beach boy

Sir Kay Minesweeper
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »

I am in the process of building the Caldercraft model Sir Kay. Is it me or what? There seems to be a lack of basic drawings made to scale, detail drawings of parts assembly, etc. Can anyone give me a hint as to the amount of weight necessary for ballast? Also would appreciate corresponding with others that have built the kit, in the event I run into problems. Thanks

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Sir Kay Minesweeper
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

Caldercraft instructions and drawings are notoriously bad.

I built the Milford Star which was the civilian version of the Sir Kay.

I used 2/ 6V.5amp batteries plus extra lead to bring mine down to the waterline.

You will probably need slightly more weight to allow for extra deck fittings.

My build  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11732.0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »

Like Dicky. Ive a Milford Star.Im not sure of weight of ballast but more than i expected. Try to keep the ballast as low as possible Agree that their could be better instructions. Worth the hassel. As it builds into a good looking Boat that sails well. John.

wallace

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:19:45 am »

I have nearly built the Sir Lancelot after 2.5 years at the moment it has taken alot off weight to bring it down have put a 12v battery small size up in the bow and with the working large size 12v battery plus alot more more lead all around and 2kl of lead pelets around the rudder was told it will weigh around 56lbs altogether
            wallace

horatio123

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »

I built the Caldercraft Sir Kay but completely changed the model to a wire sweeper HMS Sir Galahd ( only two of the class were completed as wire sweepers the rest were accoustic  ) , I obtained drawings from John Lambert and set about the kit  but only ended up using the hull and some of the fittings , I made all the superstructure from plasticard to keep the weight down , the bridge and wheelhouse are slightly different to the kit , as there is no generator house on the foredeck that had to be all changed and a minesweeping winch had to be made and fitted . Acess to teh hull is very limited once the model is built and I had to make a access in the foredeck. Removal of the rigging is done as per the kit . Not an easy model to build but nice on the water , I have a Graupner smoke unit fitted .   

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.