Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting back into submarines-help  (Read 5681 times)

MikeW

Getting back into submarines-help
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:36:21 am »

Hi Chaps, after a break from all modelling for about 6 years I am looking to get back into it. I started out with planes, then boats and then submarines. But I only had 1 sub that didn't work too well (Deep Dive - it did and then you couldn't see it!). Now with more time on my hands I am looking to get back into the hobby.
What kit could I buy that would work well without major tinkering? I need radio as well, used to have a F14. Also are there any boat clubs or places to sail subs near Eastern Kent and learn the finer aspects on building and running submarines?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Getting back into submarines-help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:30 am »

Futaba F14 is a good set, and they are still available at quite competitive prices these days for an 8-channel rig. I myself use an FC16, which is an F14 with a computer bolted on.

If I was purchasing a new set today, I would go for a Multiplex radio, they're lovely with all the right features and controls built in for model subs. Ramesh (Mankster) has some good european links for good prices on these sets.

Regarding choice of submarine, this is very subjective. The first things to set down are your budget and the models subject (civilian, military), also whether it's important if the boat is a static or dynamic diver.

Regarding places to sail, I believe that Orpington had a fairly good lake. I organise three to four Dive-ins a year, which are always in swimming pools (clear, deep water, but easy to recover your model if the worst happens) and based in the South East, chiefly London and Hertfordshire. Two of these are held at Brockwell Lido in Herne Hill- not exactly round the corner, but not the other side of the country either. We get a very wide range of models at these events, from basic to complex.

There is a small charge to attend these events, as there are hire charges to recoup, but costs are kept as low as possible as these events are not-for-profit. I charge a nominal pound for spectators.

There is also the Summer Dive-in which is held in June at St Albans. This is a whole weekend and you can attend one or both days.

There are also various model shows in the South East like the Merstham Steam Show and Alfold where there will be submarines present. These are advertised in the events section of this website.

Andy

Davy1

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:21:40 am »

Hi Mike,

Have a look  at the Association of Model Submariners. You can meet us at about 6 shows and event this year.

We are the established body for model submariners in this country with nearly 100 members, a magazine and

the following active sites:

http://associationofmodelsubmariners.com/

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/

See you soon,

David Forrest

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:43 am »

Regarding an easy to build sub, take a look at the Sheerline Akula, it practically builds itself and 99 times out of 100, it works very well straight out of the box.

Have a look at Mark's build log on our forum...  http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t196-sheerline-akula

Chris at Sheerline provides the best after sales service you could possibly imagine, he's always willing to offer advice and assistance should you get stuck...most unlikely though.

Rich

Webmaster
http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:04:21 pm »

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »

Couldn't resist, eh Andy?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:11:05 pm »

Couldn't resist what, Richard?

Davy1

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »

Only another 936 posts and I will be up there with, Andy.

Now only 935 to go!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »

I could never compete with you Dave, you really are one of a kind.

MikeW

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:18:11 pm »

David, sorry the Association of Submariners brings bad memories, I was derided when I turned up at a boat show in Alford where they had an exhibition and meeting  and tried to join up with my “toy” submarine which I bought second hand. “At least you didn’t make it!”  or words to that effect were used.  I am not an elitist in this field, I just want to join a local club to pick up a few hints from others and sail without joining an organisation that is going to talk shop make me feel silly with sniping remarks.

Andy, thanks I have been looking at all the wonderful pictures and video on here an on your website and that’s really what has spurred me on to get off my backside and get back into this before I get too old!  I would love to come to one of the events, I have never ‘seen’ a sub underwater before. But after I have built a boat that works and I won’t be embarrassed about. I might come along as a spectator. St Albans may be a bit too far but I will come to London. Yes I have sailed in that pond in Orpington. That and the pond in Clapham are the only ones with concrete bottoms so you can wade out to rescue your boat – but they are not deep enough for subs.  Yes I googled  for the radio and am surprised to see it is still being made, mine was 10yrs old already when I sold up.  I will look into the multiplex radio you mentioned

Rich, thanks. Yes I remember the Sheerline boats and haven’t read a bad word said about them. I have seen the Grimreapers thread on here. That’s the type of boat I’d like some think that’s quick to build and will still look good without having to spend time detailing and painting. Civilian or military, new or old it does not matter as long as it works well. After tearing around trying to get the Deep Dive to dive I want a boat with a ballast tank this time.  I have no fixed budgets and I know these subs with ballast tanks can be expensive. I’ll be looking for something around the £500 mark?

Mike

Davy1

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:10 pm »

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the AMS.

I am sure that was some time ago. Organisations change and we are much more "user friendly" now. Perhaps you could pm me about if if you wish to name names.

Talking of which that is now 934, Andy!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »

Mike, I too am sorry you've had a bad experience with the AMS in the past, but as David says, things do change over the years...come along and take a look at us now.
I'll not get involved in politics on an open forum, so we'll call that enough for now.

Back to your sub...the Sheerline Akula is priced around £550 I believe, that includes carriage as well, so that's around your budget target. Other sub kits are available (more politics!) but the Akula does have a very, very good track record.

Andy's Dive In's are an ideal place to sail a sub, deep and clear water is just what you need, plus you have the benefit of experienced submariners to pick their collective brains...Ramesh, to name but one, knows more about model subs than most of the people on here put together.

I wish you well with your return to the world of model submarines, Mike...and don't be afraid to approach any of the AMS members, wherever you may meet them, be it at a show where we are present, or at one the Dive In's. I assure you that you will not be belittled in any way, shape or form by anyone...we all had to start somewhere.

Rich

Webmaster
www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com

MikeW

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 03:50:17 pm »

I have been reading different forums to get back to speed on model subs over the last few weeks.  Rich unfortunately what I have seen on the Association of Submariners  forum is pretty much the same undertones I experienced. The back slapping, the banter, the marginalisation of outsiders with different ideas, the old school network, the we know better- our way is right attitude, the 'you're in our clubhouse now' cliquey nature. May be its more obvious for an outsider looking in and observing the goings on. Its not the relaxed vibe you get on Mayhem or other forums. I sure the individual members on their own are fine but as an organisation this it’s the same feeling on the AMS forum that permeated when I met up with them for a few hours, 5years ago.
I am afraid once bitten twice shy, so I respectfully will stay away from the Association of Submariners.

David, I did receive your Personal Message but I don’t want to stir up anything or name names (even if I could remember as it was about 5 or  6 years ago). I would rather let things lie and move on.

Back to models. Got the Sheerline Akula on the list and an Engel Lafayette has also been mentioned to me, any other options?

Mike

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 04:09:32 pm »

The Engel 212 is also a cracking boat, and a very quick build. The performance is outstanding too, you don't dive this boat, you fly it.

If you want something really different, how about a dolphin? An aquired taste, but wow these things look like a heap of fun, and you're almost guaranteed to have the only one around- I haven't seen any others around.

http://modelluboot.de/

BTW regarding your original Deep Dive VI, the reason a dynamic diver needs a lot of speed to dive is if it's ballasted high in the water. If you ballast them very low, you can dive them with just a whiff of throttle just like a boat with a ballast system. The disadvantage is you have very little reserve bouyancy, so if you go too deep, spring a small leak or pick up some weed, you may end up going for a swim. That's the advantage of a swimming pool- no weed, and you can see where it's got to. Except when it's a Robbe Seawolf and painted light grey and going round in circles on the bottom in the middle of Brockwell Lido- took us half an hour to spot it, seriously!

Andy

thegrimreaper

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »

To MikeW Glad to know that someone has looked at my build thread the Sheerline AKULA was the second sub that I built and I can Highly recommend the AKULA from Sheerline not only do you buy the Submarine from Chris but the customer service is the best thing since sliced bread always on hand to help if you have a problem and the guy is full of useful tips and tricks on the plus plus side the sub dos`nt sail it (to quote Subculture) "fly`s" do`s what it says on the box which is a big box and is a quick build if that is what you want I took a bit of time over mine because of work and I wanted a bit more detail than a bog standard sub I have been to a Dive-in which was a good day out with the AKULA
Glad that I bought my first sub (U47) which is a dynamic diver after sailing her a couple of times I had to to cross all the way to the dark side of the force and get me a static diver I have a target now that is up for sale and the build of my lifeboat has almost stoped dead now.

Mark

hollowhornbear

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »

Andy, you just had to didn't you?
not any more though, working on static for it now.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:50 am »

Sorry- I didn't mention any names though!  :P

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:12 am »

WelL I can second the 2 Engel kits mentioned. Just completing a 212 which would be easier of the two to build- may be 2-3 days work (most of that waiting for things to dry). Here a recent video of its first outing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAMGR2t57A

MikeW

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 11:48:21 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it will be between a Lafayette or an Akula.

MikeW

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

Thanks guys, order placed for an Engel Lafayette  :-)) :-)). Cant wait now.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 01:33:49 pm »

Good choice.

MikeW

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:08 am »

Those Engel chaps ship quick. Ordered on Friday, here today. I feel like a kid getting a new toy again :-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 07:53:59 pm »

Engel have built a good reputation over the years. I'm sure you'll be a very happy bunny with this boat, I've never heard a bad word said about this model, and having been at the controls of one a few times, I can honestly say it's great fun and you'll find it's a keeper.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:52 pm »

I'm very glad to hear that...

bobk

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 09:48:23 pm »

Best wishes for your Engel Lafayette.  From what I've read and seen on line it looks well engineered and straightforward to build.
I shall be looking forward to hearing about your progress, have started my first submarine project.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.