Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronic igniter?  (Read 6220 times)

BigAde

Electronic igniter?
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:24:54 am »

I am wanting to build a special project which I want to include FIRE. By fire I mean a flame like you might find at an oil refinery where they burn off unwanted gasses. I want this to be switchable remotely but not sure how to go about doing it. I had a thought of having a open trough of petrol and lighting it somehow remotely using RC, but I am unsure how?

Does anyone have an idea on how to maybe do this?

If I can get this done it should look spectacular and unique!

BigAde

Re: Electronic igniter?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:22:17 am »

Just a thought, maybe a conventional cigarette lighter with a servo controling the ignighter somehow, but would need a strong servo!?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45:44 am »

Id mix petrol and diesel it will burn longer
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:48 am »

Starting the fire is easy, controlling it, or extinguishing it might be difficult.

I used to do a "burning warehouse" diorama years ago...

Somewhere there is a video of a model boat club that did a smoking/burning oil rig.

Here is a video of the ship at Madurodam that vents and catches fire.

See 1:09,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6m83jir3Io&feature=related

:-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:39:39 am »

I would avoid petrol as if you have interference while launching the model, any ignition of the petrol will also ignite the vapours, having disposed of maggots with half a cup full of petrol before, narrowly escaping the 4' fireball that followed :-)) Me;1 Maggots;0
If you can ignite firelighters these are visual at a distance and controllable to an extent. If you want to put them out again you will need an onboard pumping system to dowse them though.
In the past we have squirted WD40 on to a plywood sail ( honestly!) to give the fire effect. It burns well but it is out quickly, which is preferable to taking your model home in a bin bag :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:09:56 pm »

Most Gas fires have an electronic sparker worked by a battery. It would be easy to fit an r/c switch to
control spark. Why not use tinned gas?. A recent post covered adapting a gas torch to r/c. Have a look at
some of the flame throwers that can be fitted into car exhausts to emit flames. John.

Tutssy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »

And then see what the local authorities think.  <:(  O0

Al

john44

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »

I would also check your club insurance covers for potential fire hazard, explosions etc. O0

BigAde

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:22 am »

Most Gas fires have an electronic sparker worked by a battery. It would be easy to fit an r/c switch to
control spark. Why not use tinned gas?. A recent post covered adapting a gas torch to r/c. Have a look at
some of the flame throwers that can be fitted into car exhausts to emit flames. John.

hmmm good idea, would that ignite petrol or lighter fluid though i wonder?

BigAde

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:53:06 am »

I would avoid petrol as if you have interference while launching the model, any ignition of the petrol will also ignite the vapours, having disposed of maggots with half a cup full of petrol before, narrowly escaping the 4' fireball that followed :-)) Me;1 Maggots;0
If you can ignite firelighters these are visual at a distance and controllable to an extent. If you want to put them out again you will need an onboard pumping system to dowse them though.
In the past we have squirted WD40 on to a plywood sail ( honestly!) to give the fire effect. It burns well but it is out quickly, which is preferable to taking your model home in a bin bag :}

FIRELIGHTERS is another good idea! food for thought here guys!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:00:48 am »

FIRELIGHTERS is another good idea! food for thought here guys!
Where do you get remote control firelighters? (referring back to the original question)
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

PMK

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »

Perhaps you could try those small capsules - the ones that are used for refilling 'Zippo' type cigarette lighters. (The capsule itself look a bit like a miniture rubber johnny, about one inch length x half inch diameter). They are filled with fuel (obviously) and the idea is that you snip off one end in order to pour the petrol into the ciggie lighter. Being that the capsule is just thin rubber, perhaps one simple way of ignition would be to attach a low-ohm resistor to the capsule, then connect both ends of the resistor directly to, say, a 12v battery (or even via a R/C switch). The resistor will glow red hot, thus melting the rubber and igniting the fuel.

nick_75au

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:49 am »

A butane flame will give the correct flame for an oil rig flare but no air mixing and very low pressure.

Nick

Telstaruk

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

Hi Have you thought of using am ignition coil?  I got a very small 6V ignition (HT) coil for a model aircraft engine (4stroke petrol) I was making, it gives a good spark.  If you used a small motor to turn a cam operating a pair of contacts, you could, say, use a servo to turn on the gas, and start the motor which would give a series of sparks to ignite the gas.

Cheers Tom

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 08:40:30 pm »

Hi,

I removed the circuit out of a battery powered gas lighter and fitted into a box with its own button and running off a 1.5v battery. It worked very well, generating a good 10mm spark, for extended periods if necessary and igniting the butane gas.

I couldn't find my original supplier, but this web-site shows the sort of thing I mean - i daresay that there are plenty of other suppliers.

http://www.dennyandsons.co.uk/electric-battery-operated-gas-lighter-p6705.html

Ian

Captain Flack

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »

Hows about a refillable gas supply and a glo plug with remote driver?   That's how the heli boys start their gas turbines, prior to them running on kero.   The gas is also controllable from the TX.

richald

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

from the above replies, it sounds like we should
have a new forum section for pyromaniacs !   %%

Richard

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:03 pm »

Sign me up, as a founder member of the Ancient order of Certified Pyromaniacs, and The Guild of Village Idiots, I consider myself overqualified!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.